Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, the point remains it’s one of the only comps for Vaughn for a young 1B receiving an early extension.   It’s just not that common to take a risk at that particular position.

I doubt you can find that many comps for Eloys deal or Roberts deal either. Very few teams are in a spot where this type of extension before they play makes sense, and a number of players (Boras clients) will never sign them. That doesn’t change it having been a good move for this franchise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Things are getting smokey again

Woke up thinking this might actually get announced today. They put him on roster, don't have to play service time games if they buy out a year or two (possible options), spring training is over and no games or other news today, they have agreed to extensions with other young players prior to season starting, etc.

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah I just now saw that too. Maybe Lynn? 

Ha!
If that happens, it will be 75% TLR behind it.  Can’t say granting extensions to anyone but Verlander has been all that wise...and even Justin has had his ups and downs after hitting age 30.   It’s not like Lynn has the best physical conditioning in the world, but it has worked for him so far.

That said, spending  $25-50 million on Lynn instead of investing it into Giolito doesn’t seem like the kind of move most championship teams make.  Maybe the Cardinals can get away with it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Marshall is most likely with Lynn next on the totem poll.

The burners are comparing Vaughn to Cease's negotiations...in 2019 Sox thought they had Cease "done" and he backed out.  Then he tried to re-engage last year and Sox balked.  So maybe third time was the lucky charm?  These burners tend to be vague but drop little clues so I thought they might be doing it with Cease.

4 minutes ago, heirdog said:

The burners are comparing Vaughn to Cease's negotiations...in 2019 Sox thought they had Cease "done" and he backed out.  Then he tried to re-engage last year and Sox balked.  So maybe third time was the lucky charm?  These burners tend to be vague but drop little clues so I thought they might be doing it with Cease.

Cease would be an interesting gamble at the right price, but I’m guessing they’d rather wait and see that some of his offseason work has paid off first.