Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If that even exists in 2022 - every time there's been a new CBA for the last 15 years they've rewritten the draft pick compensation rules I think.

Good point. I'm not sure i trust Carlos to stay in shape after he gets paid. Boras prolly got on him this offseason to get serious since he is gonna be a FA. If he gets a long term deal, he has no incentive to stay that way at least not until the point he gets to be a FA again. 

And I doubt the Sox will seriously pay more than one pitcher and they would go with Gio over Rodon any day, although they may be priced out of Gio even if they make a real effort.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Any chance of a mid season extension?  If so, Hahn needs to get on the phone with Lynn’s agent ASAP and offer up something like 2/$50M for the 2022 & 2023 seasons.  I will be distraught if he’s not anchoring our playoff rotation for the next couple of years.

Sounds so un-Jerrylike.   This would be the definition of buying as high as possible on Lynn.

Realistically, this could have been done before the season started...but it would have been closer to $16-22 million x 2 for those two additional seasons, arguably.   Now we’re all the way up to $25 and counting.

I guess it all depends on attendance/revenue projections for the remainder of this season and on out.  Of course, the CBA negotiations hover over everything as well.

Do get the feeling one of the major reasons he was so attractive in the first place was his relatively lower base salary in 2021, compared to his performance level in 2020.  And, of course, the TLR connection going back to the 2011 World Series season.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Call me crazy, but it might not be a bad idea to see who falls apart after the foreign substance crackdown to see if a guy like Lynn is still worth extending or not.

Hendriks has had clear markings on his hate all year long. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one would really shock me, but in his case it doesn't really matter.  We already own him for years.

That's why he's scary. It's like buying a free agent before they're popped for steroids.

I do think the Yankees, Astros and Indians will definitely be affected if legitimate enforcement was put in place. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Hendriks has had clear markings on his hate all year long. 

He said he has nothing on his hat. He did say he goes to his hat a lot, Giolito looks like he has something on the bill of his hat. Clearly the White Sox have guys doing it, or they would be running out to the umpires complaining the opposition is being blatant.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 3/31/2021 at 2:34 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

Good point. I'm not sure i trust Carlos to stay in shape after he gets paid. Boras prolly got on him this offseason to get serious since he is gonna be a FA. If he gets a long term deal, he has no incentive to stay that way at least not until the point he gets to be a FA again. 

And I doubt the Sox will seriously pay more than one pitcher and they would go with Gio over Rodon any day, although they may be priced out of Gio even if they make a real effort.

Boras has a rep for keeping his clients in shape. I like Rodon, but I think what he is going to want if he somehow keeps this up, isn't a good idea for the team.