Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

I don't see any extensions happening for established players at the moment, given JR and the economic climate.

Now, something low where the team has all the leverage on a guy like Madrigal, perhaps.

Yep have a feeling Jerry wants to wait for more COVID clarity and CBA agreement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Offer giolito like 7/100

Offer vaughn something like the Evan white deal. Obviously if you leave him down 3 weeks he is 30 anyway at free agency and not super expensive to extend then but first basemen tend to get overpaid in arbitration because their traditional numbers are better than their war.

I don’t think 7/$100M is going to be nearly enough.  I could possibly see 6/$100M with the extra year of free agency being bought out at $25M, but even that might be pushing it.  He’s going to want the chance at one last pay day no matter what and I think hitting free agency at 31 rather than 32 is enough of a factor to stick to a five year deal.

Just now, fathom said:

Yep have a feeling Jerry wants to wait for more COVID clarity and CBA agreement.

Lynn could be a free agent before we get more clarity on a future CBA agreement, so I really doubt they wait that out.  Plus I have a feeling a new agreement will be more player friendly if anything, so locking up our guys now based on existing benchmarks could make a lot of sense.

And the financial impact of extensions would be for 2022 & beyond, so not sure why COVID really matters when all signs point to a vaccine fully being implemented prior to a 2022 season.  I get Jerry being frugal this year given fan attendance uncertainty, but we truly are fucked if he’s afraid to commit dollars in 2022 & beyond.

28 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Seems high for Giolito just to buy out a few years. I could be wrong?

A 7 year deal would buy out 4 free agent years, which would cost WAY more than $100 million by themselves. A guy like Gio is a slam dunk $30 milion + per year pitcher on the free agent market.  

18 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Just Giolito then, I suppose. I could see Kopech, Cease, and/or Crochet next offseason depending on how 2021 goes.

They have already offered an extension to Cease and he rejected.  That being said, he’s probably still next in line amongst the three you listed.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lynn could be a free agent before we get more clarity on a future CBA agreement, so I really doubt they wait that out.  Plus I have a feeling a new agreement will be more player friendly if anything, so locking up our guys now based on existing benchmarks could make a lot of sense.

And the financial impact of extensions would be for 2022 & beyond, so not sure why COVID really matters when all signs point to a vaccine fully being implemented prior to a 2022 season.  I get Jerry being frugal this year given fan attendance uncertainty, but we truly are fucked if he’s afraid to commit dollars in 2022 & beyond.

That's part of why it was a bad move to trade 5 years of a #4 for 1 year of a #2. Not only is it a bad time for JR to extend a veteran pitcher, but why would Lynn want to extend now? He's in his thirties, has made good money, so the team has no leverage -- and next year's FA situation is almost certainly going to be better because there will be more clarity on revenue streams around the league. No one knows whatthis season is going to start like, but EVERYONE expects fans in the seats by the end of it.

Don't try too hard to make it make more sense. The FO has not been given the resources to "do it right," so they're "doing the best they can," and that's gonna make a lot of moves they make seem weird because we can all see that there were better alternatives available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

That's part of why it was a bad move to trade 5 years of a #4 for 1 year of a #2. Not only is it a bad time for JR to extend a veteran pitcher, but why would Lynn want to extend now? He's in his thirties, has made good money, so the team has no leverage -- and next year's FA situation is almost certainly going to be better because there will be more clarity on revenue streams around the league. No one knows whatthis season is going to start like, but EVERYONE expects fans in the seats by the end of it.

Don't try too hard to make it make more sense. The FO has not been given the resources to "do it right," so they're "doing the best they can," and that's gonna make a lot of moves they make seem weird because we can all see that there were better alternatives available.

Lynn would want to extend now because his last contract was that of a pitcher people thought was falling apart. 3/$30 from the Rangers is nothing. He has earned $56 million in his career. If he can get 2/$40 as an extension, suddenly he is nearly (counting this year) doubling his career earnings over 3 years. With the uncertainty of the lockout next offseason, if you could get that in writing right now, without having to worry about being stuck taking a 1 year cheap deal in March, you take that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Dunning represents 5 years of a number 4.  Nobody knows.  He might suck ass and flame out next year. The probabilities for either seem pretty even to me since his stuff is somewhere between “meh” and “sucks” to begin with.  

18 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Dunning represents 5 years of a number 4.  Nobody knows.  He might suck ass and flame out next year. The probabilities for either seem pretty even to me since his stuff is somewhere between “meh” and “sucks” to begin with.  

Yes he could suck. He could also be a 4 WAR pitcher next year. You know what we know about him? He came up, could throw strikes, and had the stuff to get outs. He looked like a solid major league starter. He will never be Max Scherzer, I can promise that. Yes he could suck, he could also be an all star the next 6 seasons in a row. The odds of him sucking and being out of baseball in 2 years seem very low, as are the odds of him being an every year all star. But if he doesn’t get hurt again, and Texas controls his innings, there is a very good chance he’s a solid starter for 6 Rangers seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Lynn would want to extend now because his last contract was that of a pitcher people thought was falling apart. 3/$30 from the Rangers is nothing. He has earned $56 million in his career. If he can get 2/$40 as an extension, suddenly he is nearly (counting this year) doubling his career earnings over 3 years. With the uncertainty of the lockout next offseason, if you could get that in writing right now, without having to worry about being stuck taking a 1 year cheap deal in March, you take that.

I’d rather get Sugano for that on a four year deal, and ride Lynn for one year then let him go. To me Lynn at one year cheap IS the good part of that deal. He won’t get in the way of any multi year deals. Use him in ‘21 when the Sox need him and move on.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:24 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think 7/$100M is going to be nearly enough.  I could possibly see 6/$100M with the extra year of free agency being bought out at $25M, but even that might be pushing it.  He’s going to want the chance at one last pay day no matter what and I think hitting free agency at 31 rather than 32 is enough of a factor to stick to a five year deal.

Yeah but 100m Is a nice payday already and he is still 3 years away from free agency and could get hurt.

He might want to take the 100m guaranteed in the current economical climate plus at age 32 he could still get another good contract.

Obviously if everything goes well it would be better to test free agency and get 250m but for this to happen he needs health and performance.

He might prefer 100m guaranteed with a chance to make another 60m or so later.

That way he loses 90m compared to best case but also makes 90+ m more compared to worst case.