Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

Does the good performance by collins and yermin in spring increase the odds of Vaughn signing an extension? 

Without them fan pressure to bring up Vaughn would be very high but with them performing I think most fans and media would be OK with Vaughn being down a couple weeks so the front office has a good leverage to say if you want to be up at opening day sign this extension. 

7 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Does the good performance by collins and yermin in spring increase the odds of Vaughn signing an extension? 

Without them fan pressure to bring up Vaughn would be very high but with them performing I think most fans and media would be OK with Vaughn being down a couple weeks so the front office has a good leverage to say if you want to be up at opening day sign this extension. 

Their performance has no effect on the extension. 

Just a morning thought, if Vaughn doesn’t get extended does he go back down and start the season in triple A until we get that year of eligibility back? Thinking with Grandal still nursing he can Dh and eloy can also spot Dh for a month. Just a thought. Have not heard much on the extensions.  

Take is FWIW, but Nightengale is reporting that extension talks have cooled between Vaughn and the Sox.  Who knows, but it certainly seemed like the extension was all but done last week.  I still think it gets done before the season starts.

24 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Take is FWIW, but Nightengale is reporting that extension talks have cooled between Vaughn and the Sox.  Who knows, but it certainly seemed like the extension was all but done last week.  I still think it gets done before the season starts.

Was this from a radio interview?  Not seeing anything from him on Twitter.

I could understand Vaughn not signing an extension. Yeah it means he won't break camp but really if he signs an extension that signs him through age 31 or so while that offers financial security it also means hitting the FA market at a quite unfavorable age for a 1b man plus first basemen tend to be payed well in arbitration as this is still looking at old school stats like BA, Homers and RBIs. 

Also Vaughn got a pretty big bonus so he can bet on himself. 

Really for him an extension to make sense it needs to be a lot of money. He probably can make like 40m before free agency if he is a good as advertised so taking like 60m and delaying his free agency into his 30s doesn't make much sense. 

Sure if the sox offer him like 90m today he probably has to take it but I don't believe they will do that. 

I really wish the Sox would offer Giolito the same amount of money they offered Wheeler right now. Gio is a a younger, better pitcher than Wheeler. 

Break it down this way: 

2022: 13M 

2023: 22 M 

2024-26: 30M 

Total: 5 years $125M. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's since been deleted (I think) but he claimed Tatis' injury yesterday was worse than the Padres were letting on. The guy definitely doesn't bat 1.0000 on his reports.

No one does.  BUT, it's unquestioned, he somehow has at least some bit of insider source/knowledge.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I really wish the Sox would offer Giolito the same amount of money they offered Wheeler right now. Gio is a a younger, better pitcher than Wheeler. 

Break it down this way: 

Wow, I love this

Arguably the best thing I've seen on this Forum

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Break it down this way: 

So you've got Giolito giving up 3 years of Free Agency time, and hitting FA again at age 32 rather than at age 29? 

If he stays this good of a pitcher, he's giving up an awful lot of career earnings by signing that deal. If, as some people have said, he's interested in the largest contract he can get, then this is a nonstarter from their side. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I could understand Vaughn not signing an extension. Yeah it means he won't break camp but really if he signs an extension that signs him through age 31 or so while that offers financial security it also means hitting the FA market at a quite unfavorable age for a 1b man plus first basemen tend to be payed well in arbitration as this is still looking at old school stats like BA, Homers and RBIs. 

Also Vaughn got a pretty big bonus so he can bet on himself. 

Really for him an extension to make sense it needs to be a lot of money. He probably can make like 40m before free agency if he is a good as advertised so taking like 60m and delaying his free agency into his 30s doesn't make much sense. 

Sure if the sox offer him like 90m today he probably has to take it but I don't believe they will do that. 

Assuming Vaughn were to sign an 8 year deal, he's giving up 1 year of FA control, so the extension is the difference between FA at age 30 vs 31. That one isn't a huge difference unless he gets hurt or falls apart during that last year. To get a $40 million guarantee - that's a pretty straightforward and logical move for him.