You have $30m to complete the roster...

striker

24 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You know it would have been even better to have $38M to spend $25M on Springer and $13M on Hendriks....but you know...Adam Eaton, I guess.

Eaton on a one year deal has little to no effect on ability to sign multi year deals due to fact payroll commitments in ‘22-23 with projected arb payments and escalating contracts are already greater than payroll commitment in ‘21 with both Eaton and Lynn included. This is why Hahn stated making these moves for players with one year commitments allows them the flexibility to make further moves. You can’t just look at ‘21 payroll and conclude there is X amount available on multi year deals when future payroll is equal to ‘21 + X + Y.

Edited by Vulture

1 hour ago, Cashman said:

Are you suggesting they are going over the "reported" $30M budget?

Yeah. I think Levine heard that they had around $30 million to spend. Sox were at like $90 million pre arb. Right around $115 right now. Liam Hendriks and another starter are firmly on the radar. I’d think that easily takes them over $130 million. 

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I really don’t think we should be taking Bruce Levine’s payroll number as gospel. Rick Hahn wouldn’t be addressing the media during his calls in the manner he has been if they’re basically done adding. They clearly aren’t finished. 

I don’t think they’re finished by any means either. Just hoping you’re accurate and they have more than 15 million left.  I know I trust Bruce more than you :)

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think they’re finished by any means either. Just hoping you’re accurate and they have more than 15 million left.  I know I trust Bruce more than you :)

If they only have $15 million left, they can’t do closer and starting pitcher. It doesn’t make sense. You honestly think Rick Hahn tells the media to stay tuned and touts their flexibility if they have $15 million left to spend only? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If they only have $15 million left, they can’t do closer and starting pitcher. It doesn’t make sense. You honestly think Rick Hahn tells the media to stay tuned and touts their flexibility if they have $15 million left to spend only? 

My thoughts exactly 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hahn was super smug and arrogant about Machado too and JR pulled the rug out from under him financially then too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Hahn was super smug and arrogant about Machado too and JR pulled the rug out from under him financially then too. 

So not exceeding a 300 million contract to devote a quarter of payroll to a single player at a position in which the Sox had a former #1 mlb prospect means Hahn is lying about having flexibility to make further additions? Excellent reasoning.

30 minutes ago, Baker said:

Let’s not forget Kelvin Herrera in the subtractions, about $9M. The subtractions are over $50M. 

This is all tracked online, updated regularly.

The White Sox' payroll in 2020 was $128.2M, of which Jerry only paid out $50.2M.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QdJEFEHa6YbLrnNhI7Z3DCZwOEycKPNVVMnkI_eN8zU/edit#gid=1520401900

Currently, the White Sox payroll including projected arbitration cases and transactions this week is at $113.6M, $14.6M less than last year's projected payroll, $60.4M more than what Jerry actually paid out last year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4dU46AiC_pt1GtzakmASUg9UD_UnpG32kdRZ3clOnk/edit#gid=1520401900

The open question is what the hell did that idiot mean (Bruce Levine) when he said the Sox had $30M to spend. The more intelligent way to report this is approximately how much more do the White Sox have to spend at this juncture of the off-season, after Lynn and the Adam "Drake LaRoche is my leader" Eaton  were brought in this week.

41 minutes ago, Baker said:

Let’s not forget Kelvin Herrera in the subtractions, about $9M. The subtractions are over $50M. 

The estimated payroll for ‘21 is at approximately 115-120 million including Eaton Lynn and arb estimates. Doesn’t matter what you subtract from last years payroll.

or 113.6 per sshm

Edited by Vulture

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’ve been meaning to ask you if you know if there is real smoke around Quintana. Or are people just seeing an obvious fit?

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

So not exceeding a 300 million contract to devote a quarter of payroll to a single player at a position in which the Sox had a former #1 mlb prospect means Hahn is lying about having flexibility to make further additions? Excellent reasoning.

If you aren't 100 percent sure you will add someone dont go out of your way to build up fan expectations about landing said player. 

And no I don't care if they "thought" they would get him at that point. Their thoughts and 50 cents are worth a mediocre cup of coffee. 

So to me they have to convert on Hendriks. It doesn't matter if it's 3/40 or 3/45 or whatever the market bears. 

They blew a simple layup on Joc so they better damn well deliver regardless of which teams get involved in the chase. They made this bed let them sleep in it.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This is all tracked online, updated regularly.

The White Sox' payroll in 2020 was $128.2M, of which Jerry only paid out $50.2M.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QdJEFEHa6YbLrnNhI7Z3DCZwOEycKPNVVMnkI_eN8zU/edit#gid=1520401900

Currently, the White Sox payroll including projected arbitration cases and transactions this week is at $113.6M, $14.6M less than last year's projected payroll, $60.4M more than what Jerry actually paid out last year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4dU46AiC_pt1GtzakmASUg9UD_UnpG32kdRZ3clOnk/edit#gid=1520401900

The open question is what the hell did that idiot mean (Bruce Levine) when he said the Sox had $30M to spend. The more intelligent way to report this is approximately how much more do the White Sox have to spend at this juncture of the off-season, after Lynn and the Adam "Drake LaRoche is my leader" Eaton  were brought in this week.

If they had 30 million per on multi year contracts to spend prior to Eaton/Lynn, then they still have 30 million per after Eaton/Lynn, since as I keep pointing out ‘21 payroll is still less with them on one year contracts than projected ‘22-23 payrolls.

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

Eaton on a one year deal has little to no effect on ability to sign multi year deals due to fact payroll commitments in ‘22-23 with projected arb payments and escalating contracts are already greater than payroll commitment in ‘21 with both Eaton and Lynn included. This is why Hahn stated making these moves for players with one year commitments allows them the flexibility to make further moves. You can’t just look at ‘21 payroll and conclude there is X amount available on multi year deals when future payroll is equal to ‘21 + X + Y.

Ok.....I'm just following the exercise the OP presented of having $30M to spend. 🤷

We are one of the few teams uniquely insulated from the effects of the pandemic as it relates to lost revenue this year and likely next.  

That’s because this team had three years prior to 2020 of much larger than normal profits due to the razor thin payrolls operated from 2017 thru 2019.  So unless there’s an MLB law that disallows rolling over profits and interest on those profits to future payrolls, it seems to me the Sox should be in as good a position to be taking on more payroll than most in the short term.

This is why I was initially optimistic about the chances to sign one or both of Bauer and Springer, given what should be a slightly economic advantage right now.  But no, the same ‘ol, same ‘ol with Reinsdorf - bargain bin shopping.

The wait for the next owner rolls on!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I’ve been meaning to ask you if you know if there is real smoke around Quintana. Or are people just seeing an obvious fit?

Both. They’re interested and he’s interested. Sox have other options too though and Q could want a longer term somewhere 

29 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If you aren't 100 percent sure you will add someone dont go out of your way to build up fan expectations about landing said player. 

And no I don't care if they "thought" they would get him at that point. Their thoughts and 50 cents are worth a mediocre cup of coffee. 

So to me they have to convert on Hendriks. It doesn't matter if it's 3/40 or 3/45 or whatever the market bears. 

They blew a simple layup on Joc so they better damn well deliver regardless of which teams get involved in the chase. They made this bed let them sleep in it.

Joc isn’t a simple layup though. His reps are asking for multiple years. I’m not sure on AAV. None of the Excel clients have signed. Some think the agency has overplayed its hand so far. Lots of clients. I think it’s simple. Tony wanted Eaton and Sox are familiar with him. He’s also really cheap. 

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Joc isn’t a simple layup though. His reps are asking for multiple years. I’m not sure on AAV. None of the Excel clients have signed. Some think the agency has overplayed its hand so far. Lots of clients. I think it’s simple. Tony wanted Eaton and Sox are familiar with him. He’s also really cheap. 

Any chance Yermin is the opening day DH?