You have $30m to complete the roster...

striker

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Joc isn’t a simple layup though. His reps are asking for multiple years. I’m not sure on AAV. None of the Excel clients have signed. Some think the agency has overplayed its hand so far. Lots of clients. I think it’s simple. Tony wanted Eaton and Sox are familiar with him. He’s also really cheap. 

James, how much do you think La Russ is dictating our personnel decisions?  Obviously we were pursuing Lynn prior to hiring Tony, but there is a connection there.  Sounds like you’re saying La Russa pushed for Eaton.  And if the Hendriks rumors are true, some people are attributing that to La Russa loving a sure fire closer.  I’ll be a bit honest, I’m terrified at the thought of Tony highly influencing our roster devious.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

James, how much do you think La Russ is dictating our personnel decisions?  Obviously we were pursuing Lynn prior to hiring Tony, but there is a connection there.  Sounds like you’re saying La Russa pushed for Eaton.  And if the Hendriks rumors are true, some people are attributing that to La Russa loving a sure fire closer.  I’ll be a bit honest, I’m terrified at the thought of Tony highly influencing our roster devious.

Tony La Russa is the 2nd most powerful man in the organization IMO. 

• Thanks 3

The manager always influences roster decisions. If reports are to believed even Sox players have influenced roster decisions so of course the manager does. That said I’d think Lynn’s performance has more to do with it than any association with la Russa over 70% of one season.Sox were trying to acquire Lynn since at least last year

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Tony La Russa is the 2nd most powerful man in the organization IMO. 

Seriously?... That is just so absurd. I get that Reinsdorf is stupidly loyal to a fault, but hiring a manager and instantly granting him more power than the GM who assembled this great, young squad? That just seems like a stretch. I don't buy that La Russa is dictating the moves. Hahn would have a job as the Mets GM by now if that was the case. 

Edit: when I say absurd, I'm not directing it at you. I think this organization is absurd for this even being a possibility, which it definitely is knowing our freaking owner. Im guessing that isn't the case yet, but who knows. I'm holding out hope that Reinsdorf isn't this deranged. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Joc isn’t a simple layup though. His reps are asking for multiple years. I’m not sure on AAV. None of the Excel clients have signed. Some think the agency has overplayed its hand so far. Lots of clients. I think it’s simple. Tony wanted Eaton and Sox are familiar with him. He’s also really cheap. 

The Tony part is worrisome but yeah if the FO has lost all its juice to a guy who hasn't managed in like 10 years then we have bigger problems than Joc vs Eaton. 

Still, aside from that, I dont see a problem with his reps asking for multiple years. He's only 28, a proven LH power hitter with good OBP over his career and righty killer and his batted ball data was pretty decent this year despite the poor numbers which is a good sign going forward. 

In other words I dont see whats unreasonable about agents asking for multiple years. I mean realistically what are we talking about when we say multiple? Like 3? I dont think 3/33 is unreasonable and its not like there are a ton of cant miss guys in his way coming up soon. Rutherford is also a platoon guy but so far much less power than Joc. Luis Gonzalez even worse. Colas will prolly need a couple years in the minors and whenever he makes the majors there will be an adjustment period. Im not sure we want a starting RF struggling to adjust in the middle of the window. 

You sign Joc and pair him with Engel and youre in good shape the next few years at a reasonable price until Colas is ready. Its a fraction of the price of Springer for maybe 80 percent of the production. I would think JR would like that calculus. Unless they nab a huge LH power bat as a DH (Schwarber) this was a poor move, regardless of TLR's preference. Im still really pissed off about it. Its just stuck in my craw right now. Joc is a .240/.350/.470 guy and even better vs RHP. That literally would have been perfect to protect Eloy in like the 5 hole. 

We were barely above average last year against RHP and the vast majority of the division is RHP. I dont get WTF the team thinks they are doing to solve the issue. Eatons bat scares no one at this point. They need to add Schwarber. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Then there's no point in getting excited about anything. This is the ONLY one of my sports teams that legitimately has a good future to look forward to and now its crap. 

Tony’s only going to be around a few years. We’ve already seen he’s not going to go crazy and unload the entire farm. I wouldn’t worry too much, but I couldn’t agree more about your concerns against RHP.  

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Tony’s only going to be around a few years. We’ve already seen he’s not going to go crazy and unload the entire farm. I wouldn’t worry too much, but I couldn’t agree more about your concerns against RHP.  

I'm very worried he will win the argument at the deadline to unload Kopech and/or Vaughn for a short term bandaid. Since JR isn't gonna be around much longer anyway he doesn't care about the medium term and long term portions of the window so he will sacrifice whatever it takes* for the next 2-3 years.

* Except for money 

18 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm very worried he will win the argument at the deadline to unload Kopech and/or Vaughn for a short term bandaid. Since JR isn't gonna be around much longer anyway he doesn't care about the medium term and long term portions of the window so he will sacrifice whatever it takes* for the next 2-3 years.

* Except for money 

A trade like that might make sense to be honest. If the Sox are at the deadline cruising in first place, but have some starting pitching depth issues. A Kopech for Yu Darvish trade might win you a World Series.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Idk how reliable it is but cheesy beef was saying that Tony and Hendriks have worked together on animal activism in the past and that Hendriks admires Tony’s work with animals and is connected with his not for profit. Not sure if this is verified but maybe there is a connection there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Orlando said:

Idk how reliable it is but cheesy beef was saying that Tony and Hendriks have worked together on animal activism in the past and that Hendriks admires Tony’s work with animals and is connected with his not for profit. Not sure if this is verified but maybe there is a connection there.

https://m.facebook.com/tlrarf/videos/1307147806118040/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

Here's a video of Hendriks at least being associated with ARF.

• Like 2

Wait a minute before whining about T LaR and Eaton.

Neither one was here last season when Rick Hahn, the penultimate choice for Executive of the year,  and someone who is having his ass kissed by some noteworthy  people here, decided that Mazara was the answer in RF.....and stuck with him throughout the entire season. 

And never forget, TLar wasn't here when Hahn snapped up Edwin Encarcion and stuck with him all season, despite the fact that Vaughn and Collins were sitting in Schaumburg.

And if Hahn wasn't going to resign  McCann, tell us, wtf didn't he bring up Collins and Vaughn during the season in order to evaluate them at the major league level?

Instead he doesn't sign McCann and Collins and Vaughn are going to be relied on in 2021 by a championship level team ? 

Now if Eaton ends up working out more than Mazara did, Hahn is the Executive of the year in 2021.. for real this time, right?

Edited by tray

I like Hendriks or Colome for closer.

Quintana, Paxton or Richards for the rotation. I think Q gets a multi-year deal somewhere else though.

I like LaStella and Miller ideas for filling the bench.

Interesting no one mentions backup catcher as a need.

22 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Beg Trevor Bauer to take 30m.

I mean, i think people think you were probably being sarcastic in a way, and doubt $30mm would get it done. I'd think he'd need $40-45mm on a one year deal, but in a way I am in agreement. 

Why do you need a bullpen if you have Giolito, Bauer, Lynn and Keuchel pitching? You'd have guys who can go 7ip consistently across the board. You could have Cease as your 5th. And then have Crochet and Kopech, etc. all firing outta the bullpen all year long while they build up innings during 2021. It's a one year deal so Reinsdorf can stop wetting his pants about the long term issues. 

Nobody could tell us with a straight face that we wouldn't be World Series favorites with that rotation plus our young bats. 

It's really that easy. 

Imagine going up against that rotation -- Giolito/Bauer/Lynn/Keuchel in the playoffs. You could theoretically run CG after CG like the 2005 Angels series.