You have $30m to complete the roster...

striker

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is this in regards to what Bruce reported today?  I saw where he said the budget is 30 million. Only issue is that is including Lynn and Eaton, so they would only have 15 million to spend if correct.

I just made this up. He said they had $30m for the whole off-season?

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is this in regards to what Bruce reported today?  I saw where he said the budget is 30 million. Only issue is that is including Lynn and Eaton, so they would only have 15 million to spend if correct.

And the question becomes, why did you spend $8M on a bum?

• Like 2

Current '21 estimate = $118M.

I'd trade for Darvish @ $19M (guessing would require Cease)

I'd sign Hendriks @$13M 

I know that is slightly over $30M but there is a fudge factor re: Cease salary offset and assumption Hendrick might be slightly less expensive. 

Total '21 payroll @ $140M and start printing PO tickets.

Contract values and projected fWAR per Fangraphs

1. Starting RF: Joc Pederson (2.4) or Jackie Bradley (1.4) - 2/($10.0M per year)
  2. Closer: Alex Colome (0.1) 2 / $16M ($8.0M)
  3. Backup Catcher: Mike Zunino (1.1) 2 / ($5.0M) - or trade Adam Eaton for James McCann :D
  4. Starting LF (Eloy to DH): Kyle Schwarber (2.0) 1/ ($7.0M)

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

Between that and Bernstein, seems Hendriks is out. This would point towards Colome/Quintana.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

15M was already spent, leaving 15M left....that's what's being reported. 

With 15m left, yeah they are in a bind cause 13 for Hendriks means they only have 2m left for camp fodder or like a backup C. Even if they are at 10-11 for Hendriks as I think one of the foodies was suggesting that would still leave only like 4-5 left for another SP and nothing for a LH bat even if Hendriks accepted that which I doubt. 

Meanwhile the longer we wait the more likely someone swoops in to take Hendriks. 

After reviewing stuff again...Hendriks is really good. My preference that I don't think happens would be Hendriks + Paxton. I think Hendriks (13M) + Paxton (15M) puts you at 28 mill, and you can use money on maybe a flyer on Roenis Elias for bullpen help (I like that he ditched his sinker and has a nice looking Curve + FB, which was lower in velo last year but may be due to weird year).

That said, non-Hendriks 30 mill I think I'd go:

McGee 4M
Paxton 15M
LaStella 7M
Kahnle 4M

If sox go Hendriks/Q, I'd really hope they try for mcgee.

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

15M was already spent, leaving 15M left....that's what's being reported. 

The sox are at about 114 mill. I really do not expect them to be less than last year, so I think expecting 140 mill and ~26 mill is more accurate with Hendriks (13M)+Q(11-12M) more accurate to be wrapped up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I still don't get the cry for another SP.  Kopech and Cease are getting the ball out of the gate.  Lopez is still in the plans also.  

A full ST at the ML camp for Stiever can only help his progression also.

Focus on landing the big bullpen piece with the rest of the $$$.

Because we remember last year, and Kopech cannot handle a full starter load.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I still don't get the cry for another SP.  Kopech and Cease are getting the ball out of the gate.  Lopez is still in the plans also.  

A full ST at the ML camp for Stiever can only help his progression also.

Focus on landing the big bullpen piece with the rest of the $$$.

Kopech is absolutely starting in the minors. The innings limit makes it tough to start him in majors