You have $30m to complete the roster...

striker

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox are 100% in on Hendriks. I’m expecting payroll to be around $140 million. Something like Hendriks, Quintana, Brad Miller and some minor league deals sounds about right

On the one hand a trusted insider is telling us that more is coming, but on the other Jack heard an interview on talk radio, and is telling us it is over.  What to believe...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

The sox are at about 114 mill. I really do not expect them to be less than last year, so I think expecting 140 mill and ~26 mill is more accurate with Hendriks (13M)+Q(11-12M) more accurate to be wrapped up.

DId you factor in the raises for players already on the team ? They guys they got rid of EE,Cishek,GG, Rodon and Mazara pretty much equals the raises so as others said it only leaves about $15M of the $30M if we assume $30M is correct.

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox are 100% in on Hendriks. I’m expecting payroll to be around $140 million. Something like Hendriks, Quintana, Brad Miller and some minor league deals sounds about right

Obviously I have no inside info, but that 100% feels right to me based on everting we know.  An impact reliever, another decently paid starter, and a low end bat later in the offseason.

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

15M was already spent, leaving 15M left....that's what's being reported. 

You need to stop Jack.  You will literally take one single rumor or data point that happens to be the most pessimistic view possible and just run with it.  How can someone live this way?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You need to stop Jack.  You will literally take one single rumor or data point that happens to be the most pessimistic view possible and just run with it.  How can someone live this way?

You don't get disappointed if you have very low expectations. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here's the thing, if they really had 30m left to spend rather than having 30m before including Lynn and Eaton, there would be no reason to go cheap on Joc. 

Because with Joc instead of Eaton, we'd have 26m left instead of 30m, more than enough to sign Hendriks even at his current demand (13) plus another SP (10). 

If they are pinching pennies in RF, it suggests its more likely they had 30m total to spend, NOT 30m left. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kopech is absolutely starting in the minors. The innings limit makes it tough to start him in majors 

Have the Sox already mentioned this?

And if so, why would you sign a $10 million placeholder like Quintana when you eventually have to open up a spot for Kopech?   Wouldn't Lopez be the placeholder then?

Again, I don't see the need for going after another SP (since resources are limited).

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

On the one hand a trusted insider is telling us that more is coming, but on the other Jack heard an interview on talk radio, and is telling us it is over.  What to believe...

I really hope you guys are right.....

BTW Not Cishek and the food accounts are saying that they really like their core and want to extend Giolito and others. Hinted that they might be willing to tear up Anderson's contract to keep him longer. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

DId you factor in the raises for players already on the team ? They guys they got rid of EE,Cishek,GG, Rodon and Mazara pretty much equals the raises so as others said it only leaves about $15M of the $30M if we assume $30M is correct.

yes. Don't just do subtraction, most of our extensions saw arb 1 last year, and their raises weren't that different than expected arb. 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

The sox are at about 114 mill. I really do not expect them to be less than last year, so I think expecting 140 mill and ~26 mill is more accurate with Hendriks (13M)+Q(11-12M) more accurate to be wrapped up.

100% this.  The rumors right now point as both Hendriks + Quintana and at minimum they will cost $23M combined if I had to guess, so this only $15M more to spend with is likely bogus.

44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Al’s cheesy beef had Hendriks, Quintana and La Stella. Does that sound right because that got me excited. I’m a huge La Stella fan

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

One key person you are forgetting is colome, who was $10.5 mill last year.

Sox were at about 128 last year, and then they signed EE, 

23 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I still don't get the cry for another SP.  Kopech and Cease are getting the ball out of the gate.  Lopez is still in the plans also.  

A full ST at the ML camp for Stiever can only help his progression also.

Focus on landing the big bullpen piece with the rest of the $$$.

Because Kopech is going to be on a strict innings limit next year and Lopez doesn’t warrant to be anything more than our #7 starter.  If we don’t add another legit starter then we likely won’t have the depth to survive a full major league season.

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Are they going to keep him down for 42 games(or the equivalent in another shortened season) to get another year back? 

I would expect him down at least then, maybe even longer.  They should delay his starting so he doesn't reach his innings limit in September.  

I think there is a tale of two worst case scenarios on this board.

In one worst case scenario, we have a starting pitching staff of Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, (Quintana|Paxton) and Cease. They all stay 100% healthy, and are all good, and we don't have room for a successful Kopech in the minors.

In a different worse case scenario, we have a starting pitching staff of Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease and (Lopez|Stiever), they suffer a single injury or underperformance, and we are suddenly trying to figure out if Flores or some other pitcher is needed.

A single pitcher gives us a lot of depth.

7 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Have the Sox already mentioned this?

And if so, why would you sign a $10 million placeholder like Quintana when you eventually have to open up a spot for Kopech?   Wouldn't Lopez be the placeholder then?

Again, I don't see the need for going after another SP (since resources are limited).

Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, (Cease, Kopech,Crochet ) maybe a FA depending on cost probably not one of the more expensive ones left unless a guy like Taijuan Walker gets as much as the rest of them do like Paxton, Tanaka,Ordorizzi, Quintana. Walker would be my choice . I'd hate to think we don't sign 1 more starting pitcher , but that may be the reality.