Hypothetical question re: Eaton

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm having a discussion with another member of the board in the main Eaton thread and posed this question. If Adam Eaton put up the exact same stats as he did in 2019 would you be happy with that production ? I say ,most if not all Sox fans and the White Sox would be thrilled with that. He says he wouldn't be and keeps dancing around the question I am posing to you all.

This has nothing to do with how good or bad you think the trade is .

His 2019 went like this :

151 games played .279 BA , .365 OBP , .428 SLG. , 9.9 BB%, 15 stolen bases,107wRC+. He also won the World Series and was a hitting star in the World Series. 2.3 fWar 1.5bWar

If he had that kind of season it would be tremendous for the Sox. Hell they wouldn't even have to keep him since that might be pushing their luck .

Am i as crazy as the other guy thinks I am or is he the crazy one ?

I'll take these numbers from my 8th or 9th best player in the lineup. If this guy was a top 5 hitter I'd be really concerned. Those numbers and solid defense may get you a 2+ WAR player. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And Cali of course misphrased the question, which is even more obnoxious.

Would I be thrilled if Adam Eaton played 151 games and was as good as he was in 2019 - sure. Because he's likely worse now. So i would be happy if he was as good as he was when he was 30 and played as many games as he's ever played in his career for the most part.

Would I be thrilled as Sox fan that Adam Eaton was the right fielder? No, because the production is below average.

That was the entire conversation, but this guy loves putting words in my mouth; it's his favorite past time.

Have a good day, hope you get the affirmation you seek buddy.

How can I misphrase my own question ? You can copy and paste our whole conversation here if you like. I never put words in your mouth I didn't even mention you by name.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That wasn't the conversation, and I don't need to adjust my expectations for a position because the owner is cheap. I don't expect a team trying to win a title to be thrilled with signing a below average starter in free agency.

A team trying to win a title badly gave up Gio and Dunning for said below average starter. 

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I used bWAR as the end all? Try reading the thread again, pal. How many more ways should I Break it down for you to help you understand that Eaton was a below average right fielder in 2019 and no Sox fans should be thrilled with having below average position players when they have a below average payroll and had plenty of money to spend.

I don't  think this signing has been met with much enthusiasm.  And who really knows  what will happen. I doubt you had Abreu an MVP type a year ago.. The options other than Springer could or would bring the same argument. If they spend the money, and admittedly there is no reason to think they will , on other things, you have no reason to complain. 

These type of signings have rarely worked out for RH. But they used to work out all the time for the White Sox in RF. Ellis Burks, DJ, and Danny Tartabull and Tony Phillips  even Mike Devereaux,  worked out real well. Maybe Hahn is due.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

A team trying to win a title badly gave up Gio and Dunning for said below average starter. 

Well, he was no where near a below average starter then; in fact, he was well above average.

Let's all celebrate the Sox going cheap. It's very exciting. Go Sox!

Joc Pederson was much better than Eaton.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well, he was no where near a below average starter then; in fact, he was well above average.

I like Joc but he fits the profile of player that comes to the Sox and is a massive bust.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No one jis asking you. They did win a WS with 5 non pitchers being above average. 

At least be consistent.  You are b****ing about someone's opinion of Eaton trying to use bWAR as the end all but on another thread telling us Brad Hand is awful just because you say so.

Poor Ray Ray . No one understands him. I don't you don't. He tries and tries to make people see things his way and we just don't understand. We are all just nincompoops .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 3

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like Joc but he fits the profile of player that comes to the Sox and is a massive bust.

Don't get sucked into rehashing the same stuff that was in the main Eaton thread. This is just how he avoided the simple question I asked. If this thread devolves into that he wins.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The difference in Eaton then and now is defense for the most part. If he can get some of that defense back he will be fine. But believe me Ray Ray, I am on your side about money being spent. That is a different argument to make though. If Eaton can give us two WAR we will need to take it as it is clear we aren't spending. 

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't get sucked into rehashing the same stuff that was in the main Eaton thread. This is just how he avoided the simple question I asked. If this thread devolves into that he wins.

What same stuff? My point has always been that I would not be happy if the Sox filled their right field hole by spending on a below average right fielder. Seems pretty easy to understand.

And no offense pal, but you seem to think I owe you something and I just want to let you know that If  you were confused, I don't owe you anything.

I also didn't call you a nimcompoop or any names; I presented an argument for why I wouldn't be happy with signing a below average right fielder to a contending team with plenty of $$$ to spend, and you started throwing out pointless hypotheticals that you felt were "gotcha" moments.

I'd be happy if anyone on the roster didn't get worse; that doesn't mean I'm happy they're on the roster. That seems to be something you can't grasp.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The difference in Eaton then and now is defense for the most part. If he can get some of that defense back he will be fine. But believe me Ray Ray, I am on your side about money being spent. That is a different argument to make though. If Eaton can give us two WAR we will need to take it as it is clear we aren't spending. 

No, the difference is 10-14% offensively (between 2019 and 2016) which is significant. His offense regressed 10-14% and his defense regressed even more.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm having a discussion with another member of the board in the main Eaton thread and posed this question. If Adam Eaton put up the exact same stats as he did in 2019 would you be happy with that production ? I say ,most if not all Sox fans and the White Sox would be thrilled with that. He says he wouldn't be and keeps dancing around the question I am posing to you all.

151 games played .279 BA , .365 OBP , .428 SLG. , 9.9 BB%, 15 stolen bases,107wRC+. He also won the World Series and was a hitting star in the World Series. 2.3 fWar 1.5bWar

If he had that kind of season it would be tremendous for the Sox. Hell they wouldn't even have to keep him since that might be pushing their luck .

It would be hard to argue with 2.3 fwar for just 7 million dollars. I see his 107 wRC+ which is just OK but what was it vs RHP? 

Does anyone know? 

On the other hand, if Joc returns to his former self with like 30 bombs and like .350 OBP for just 3-4m more.....then even an OK Eaton year might still leave some of us less than thrilled.

It also depends on whether they close the deal with Hendriks and how he performs too.

So I'd have to look at all three to see how well or poorly the decision was.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But my question didn't have anything to do with any other player. If you fill RF with that kind of production for the amount of money they signed him isn't that a good value signing ? You said you'd be happy with it so I'm good with it . Just trying to take everything else out of the equation.

Yes. If Eaton puts up an OPS above .750 and plays ok defense I'll be fine with the signing. Considering how bad RF was last year this would be a massive improvement.

33 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

We all would have prefered Springer. That was never going to happen. We basically either going to sign someone on the cheaper side to platoon with Engel.

We all would love to have star potential everywhere in the lineup 1-9 but it's unrealistic.

Springer and/or Bauer should happen if they're serious about actually competing with and being better than the Dodgers, the Rays, the Yankees, etc. This is going to be a good team next year but I still don't think they have enough to get to the World Series or even win the ALCS unless everything goes their way.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

His 2019 numbers were exactly what I wanted when I first saw he was a free agent. Thought he would be a good, affordable fit on this cheap ass team but never thought bringing him back was realistic. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

jeeze... at creating another thread for this conversation. My goodness people really need to feel that their opinions have been validated by others.

Weird that Sox fans are thrilled to have a below average player in right field again... during a year when they're competing. Set that bar high, Sox fans. That's how winning organizations succeed - signing below average starters in Free Agency.

People thrilled with having a guy who would rank in the bottom 3 of nearly every offensive statistic among right fielders in baseball lol... all while playing bad defense.

Hahaha haha Hahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Is Ray Ray actually Ricky Renteria or Ricky’s personal assistant? Ever since Ricky got canned, Ray has been going after the organization’s every move as well attacking everyone here.  Also was constantly defending Ricky during his time with the Sox, especially last season when he was defending some truly awful late game bullpen decisions (decisions that I considered indefensible).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But when I suggested Joc Pederson as a good option, you said, "Enough of this. My goodness. We're trying to win."  You then later said that you wouldn't be celebrating a Joc bargain bin signing (if it were to happen), and said that it would be an "awful move".

• Like 1

• Quin pinned, unpinned and locked this topic