Hypothetical question re: Eaton

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I'm having a discussion with another member of the board in the main Eaton thread and posed this question. If Adam Eaton put up the exact same stats as he did in 2019 would you be happy with that production ? I say ,most if not all Sox fans and the White Sox would be thrilled with that. He says he wouldn't be and keeps dancing around the question I am posing to you all.

This has nothing to do with how good or bad you think the trade is .

His 2019 went like this :

151 games played .279 BA , .365 OBP , .428 SLG. , 9.9 BB%, 15 stolen bases,107wRC+. He also won the World Series and was a hitting star in the World Series. 2.3 fWar 1.5bWar

If he had that kind of season it would be tremendous for the Sox. Hell they wouldn't even have to keep him since that might be pushing their luck .

Am i as crazy as the other guy thinks I am or is he the crazy one ?

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm having a discussion with another member of the board in the main Eaton thread and posed this question. If Adam Eaton put up the exact same stats as he did in 2019 would you be happy with that production ? I say ,most if not all Sox fans and the White Sox would be thrilled with that. He says he wouldn't be and keeps dancing around the question I am posing to you all.

151 games played .279 BA , .365 OBP , .428 SLG. , 9.9 BB%, 15 stolen bases,107wRC+. He also won the World Series and was a hitting star in the World Series. 2.3 fWar 1.5bWar

If he had that kind of season it would be tremendous for the Sox. Hell they wouldn't even have to keep him since that might be pushing their luck .

Personally I would be thrilled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What were his numbers vs RHP? 

3 minutes ago, HaroldSouthside said:

If Eaton has a solid year, a 2 War type season, it would likely mean he hit right handed pitching well. So, yeah, I’d be more than happy with Eaton for $7m and some help against RHP. 

Another left handed bat at DH would help. 

La Stella is a perfect fit, especially with Madrigal’s injury issues.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What were his numbers vs RHP? 

In 2019 most of his stats wwere even production wise against lefties and righties but he hit 13 HR's against righties and 2 against lefties but his OPS was pretty much the same against both.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I would be absolutely thrilled, although with our production in RF for the past few years now, it would be a god send. But I'm on record in saying I'm more than fine with Eaton when he signed. I expect him to bounce back. Now get a left handed bat at DH and I'll really be excited.

jeeze... at creating another thread for this conversation. My goodness people really need to feel that their opinions have been validated by others.

Weird that Sox fans are thrilled to have a below average player in right field again... during a year when they're competing. Set that bar high, Sox fans. That's how winning organizations succeed - signing below average starters in Free Agency.

People thrilled with having a guy who would rank in the bottom 3 of nearly every offensive statistic among right fielders in baseball lol... all while playing bad defense.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

jeeze... at creating another thread for this conversation. My goodness people really need to feel that their opinions have been validated by others.

Weird that Sox fans are thrilled to have a below average player in right field again... during a year when they're competing. Set that bar high, Sox fans. That's how winning organizations succeed - signing below average starters in Free Agency.

JR wasn't paying for an above average guy soo they got the closest thing. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

JR wasn't paying for an above average guy soo they got the closest thing. 

That wasn't the conversation, and I don't need to adjust my expectations for a position because the owner is cheap. I don't expect a team trying to win a title to be thrilled with signing a below average starter in free agency.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People thrilled with having a guy who would rank in the bottom 3 of nearly every offensive statistic among right fielders in baseball lol... all while playing bad defense.

Well I wasn't getting anywhere with you and you weren't getting anywhere with me. So I took it to the masses. You couldn't answer the simple question .That kind of year didn't hurt the Nationals in 2019. Does it really matter if people disagree with you so much that you have to come here and still not answer the question but tell us all how bad he is ?

• Like 1

And Cali of course misphrased the question, which is even more obnoxious.

Would I be thrilled if Adam Eaton played 151 games and was as good as he was in 2019 - sure. Because he's likely worse now. So i would be happy if he was as good as he was when he was 30 and played as many games as he's ever played in his career for the most part.

Would I be thrilled as Sox fan that Adam Eaton was the right fielder? No, because the production is below average.

That was the entire conversation, but this guy loves putting words in my mouth; it's his favorite past time.

Have a good day, hope you get the affirmation you seek buddy.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That wasn't the conversation, and I don't need to adjust my expectations for a position because the owner is cheap.

No one jis asking you. They did win a WS with 5 non pitchers being above average. 

At least be consistent.  You are b****ing about someone's opinion of Eaton trying to use bWAR as the end all but on another thread telling us Brad Hand is awful just because you say so.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I’d be happy as long as he isn’t disruptive in the clubhouse. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

No one jis asking you. They did win a WS with 5 non pitchers being above average. 

At least be consistent.  You are b****ing about someone's opinion of Eaton trying to use bWAR as the end all but on another thread telling us Brad Hand is awful just because you say so.

I used bWAR as the end all? Try reading the thread again, pal. How many more ways should I Break it down for you to help you understand that Eaton was a below average right fielder in 2019 and no Sox fans should be thrilled with having below average position players when they have a below average payroll and had plenty of money to spend.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, almagest said:

I'll be happy with it, if it means they spend on Hendriks, Bauer and/or some other good options at SP, RP, DH.  Otherwise they should've just gone after Springer.

But my question didn't have anything to do with any other player. If you fill RF with that kind of production for the amount of money they signed him isn't that a good value signing ? You said you'd be happy with it so I'm good with it . Just trying to take everything else out of the equation.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We all would have prefered Springer. That was never going to happen. We basically either going to sign someone on the cheaper side to platoon with Engel.

We all would love to have star potential everywhere in the lineup 1-9 but it's unrealistic.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Thanks 1

• Quin pinned, unpinned and locked this topic