Tony LaRussa to plead guilty to lesser charge

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look at the chart I just posted.

Last issue is this compares results to payroll too much, which is directly correlated. The better you are the more fans you are to draw. By trying to look at $ per fan, you should already be accounting for the success. The sox pay increases correlate really well to the overall increase in league revenue.

I agree attendance means something but their attendance was projected to be shit during the Machado off season too.

Are the sox really implying Machado would have been their only move for years?

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Last issue is this compares results to payroll too much, which is directly correlated. The better you are the more fans you are to draw. By trying to look at $ per fan, you should already be accounting for the success. The sox pay increases correlate really well to the overall increase in league revenue.

I agree attendance means something but their attendance was projected to be shit during the Machado off season too.

Are the sox really implying Machado would have been their only move for years?

I think it’s pretty clear the Sox are being cautious with payroll this year due to COVID.  I think next offseason will be more telling if Jerry is actually going to spend or be the same old cheap fuck he’s always been.

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Millionaire / Billionaire Justice. I hope Canada bans Tony's ass anyway, if baseball is ever played there again while he is manager.

Law and order for thee, not for me.

It would appear that the "I'm a Hall of Fame Baseball Person" affirmative defense is well settled in Arizona caselaw.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it’s pretty clear the Sox are being cautious with payroll this year due to COVID.  I think next offseason will be more telling if Jerry is actually going to spend or be the same old cheap fuck he’s always been.

I hope you're right; I'd like to turn back into Jerry's water carrier next off-season. Being the heel is getting hard on my mental health. 🤣

The legal outcome of this case has zero to do with absolving TLR of the responsibility for what he did that night, and what he did that night, particularly since he had done it before and said he would never do it again, should disqualify anyone from managing this baseball team. It is unacceptable behavior. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

This is way too extreme. 

People are still people. We all have flaws. Addictions. Vices. You don't just say, "fuck that guy" and expect no one to help. That's not productive either. 

No.  You let them keep driving and drinking

• Haha 1

I don’t have enough energy to keep being upset about this, and it’s just not worth it.  Nothing we can do about it now except take enjoyment out of something we love.  We aren’t to blame, but directing blame elsewhere is a lost cause.  They aren’t forgiven, but I’m moving on.

In a world more grey than black and white, I don't know what to make of Tony.  Drunken driving and hints of racism.  Selfishness and entitlement.  Then I see that his name is associated with a non-profit animal rescue and adoption program that has found homes for over 44,000 animals.  I really love animals.  I'm gonna pour me two fingers of Yukon Jack and give my cats a kiss.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wait, so it's the fans who cancelled their season tickets fault - due to the Sox hiring a drunk - that they didn't spend in Free Agency? Is that really the angle your going with?

Or are you going with the even more offensive - if you don't buy season tickets you shouldn't have expectations or be allowed to call out your teams cheapness?

As someone who hasn't posted about La Russa probably since the week or two after the hiring, I'm just trying to find the angle here. Do I get my money back for the past four years (prior to 2020) that I had season tickets and the Sox didn't even try to put a MLB team on the field? Or that doesn't count.... you can only expect them to spend if you, yourself, have season tickets for the season you expect them to spend. Man, it's hard being a Sox fan; you either support an organization that never spends and hires a drunk or it's somehow your fault they hired a drunk and didn't spend.

I'd be shocked if more than 5 season ticket holders cancelled because LaRussa had four glasses of wine when he should have stopped at three.  Season ticket holders have sat through years of crap baseball waiting for what may be happening in the next few years; the only ones cancelling are probably in the category of Sox fan that is always looking for an excuse to stay home anyway.   Hell, I know Sox fans who still b**** about what channel the games were on forty year ago.  The fans who claim they won't buy tickets because of LaRussa weren't going to buy tickets anyway, and the Sox know it.

There are aggravating and mitigating factors that may have been taken under consideration in accepting the plea to a lower charge, for example;

-  The B.A.C. at the time of arrest  (093 percent which was over the .08 percent limit)

- The length of time since he was arrested on the original DUI charge on March 2007  (13 years)

- his age ) as it pertains to the likelihood that he will be drinking and driving ever again (76 years old)

- possible weaknesses in the State's case ( probable cause for arrest, possible evidentiary issues, availability of witnesses)

- the effectiveness of the Court's sentence in deterring the conduct in the future.

- the possible adverse PR that could occur since LaRussa is a public figure.

- the likelihood that LaRussa could obtain a fair trial at this point.

- sentencing for other Defendant's in similar fact situations

===========

The  State's Atty and the Judge weighed that and more.

Sometimes people d0n't agree with what a Court decides, but if you want to live in this country, you pretty much have to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

The legal outcome of this case has zero to do with absolving TLR of the responsibility for what he did that night, and what he did that night, particularly since he had done it before and said he would never do it again, should disqualify anyone from managing this baseball team. It is unacceptable behavior. 

Not to mention the alcohol / drunk driving culture of Tony LaRussa participated in, condoned and inspired in Saint Louis, resulting in the death of Josh Hancock

With Tony's second DUI arrest coming when he was with Anaheim in yet another crony job, the club dealing with the recent substance death with criminal charges against a club employee the previous season. Tony called Jerry from his jail cell to ask for Jerry to give him a job, knowing his would be finished in Anaheim, which Jerry immediately did.

How many times did cops let Tony off because he is "a legit hall of famer"?

How many times did Tony drive drunk without getting caught? Any hit and run accidents with damage to property and or people? 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

When you have blood tests and breathalyzer results indicating driving impaired, I don’t think it should be pled down especially if their is a previous DUI, even if it is from another state a decade ago. 

Studies indicate you drive drunk 80 times before your first arrest. Maybe the only 2 times TLR drove drunk he got pulled over. I doubt it, just like I wonder how many times he has used his HOF baseball person line. 

I mentioned in one thread I was hit head on and my car totaled by a guy I think may have been drunk. They never tested him. He had no insurance. This was before imsurance was mandatory. He was charged with illegal lane usage and some other BS charge, which they dropped because he had no priors. I had to sue him. I asked the prosecutor how ome would get priors if charges are dropped because they don’t have any, and she didn’t answer.

A police friend once warned my son that 2 or 3 of every ten cars on the road at 11 pm on a typical Friday night are being driven by someone over the limit.  You may be right, but there aren't enough jails to lock up everyone who does this routinely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

No.  You let them keep driving and drinking

Wait. What?

If you're being sarcastic here, fine. But again, not fair to judge a person so harshly that you believe it's perfectly fine for them to be put in a situation where they are screwed in all aspects of life because no one will help them because they have made mistakes. Mistakes, mind you, which are not beyond any single one of us, yourself included.

And if you're being serious, that's just messed up. I don't think I even need respond to something so ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, Tony La Russa has a serious problem and the way this organization has handled his hiring, much less hiring him in the first place, has been so ridiculous and shouldn't have happened. But some of the extreme takes around here from people who are so judgmental and apparently have never faced addiction or made mistakes in their life are just vomit inducing.

Edited by RagahRagah

6 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Wait. What?

If you're being sarcastic here, fine. But again, not fair to judge a person so harshly that you believe it's perfectly fine for them to be put in a situation where they are screwed in all aspects of life because no one will help them because they have made mistakes. Mistakes, mind you, which are not beyond any single one of us, yourself included.

And if you're being serious, that's just messed up. I don't think I even need respond to something so ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, Tony La Russa has a serious problem and the way this organization has handled his hiring, much less hiring him in the first place, has been so ridiculous and shouldn't have happened. But some of the extreme takes around here from people who are so judgmental and apparently have never faced addiction or made mistakes in their life are just vomit inducing.

We could:

A lifetime of ignition lock out devices. Long term treatment not go to one or two victim impact panels and you're done. Work only driving permits for multiple years not weeks or months. No public drinking with a notification to bars and restaurants on your license. 

Nope,  instead we tell them they made a mistake. It could happen to anyone. We hand them keys and tell them to keep driving. 

23 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Wait. What?

1. Tony does have a serious problem, and he should spend his time and efforts working full time on it instead of managing a baseball team a decade removed from the role at the age of 76.
  2. If he would have sincerely changed his behavior after his first arrest, and did what he claimed he would do which was to ensure this would never happen again, he would not be facing the same level of criticism.
  3. Ironic how Tony's defenders are pulling out the victim card. Explain how Tony's dumb ass is screwed for life if he is out of baseball? He really needs to work for a living at 76 after taking tens of millions over the years? If so, he is a bigger idiot than the comments he has spewed over the decades.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  1. Tony does have a serious problem, and he should spend his time and efforts working full time on it instead of managing a baseball team a decade removed from the role at the age of 76.
  2. If he would have sincerely changed his behavior after his first arrest, and did what he claimed he would do which was to ensure this would never happen again, he would not be facing the same level of criticism.
  3. Ironic how Tony's defenders are pulling out the victim card. Explain how Tony's dumb ass is screwed for life if he is out of baseball? He really needs to work for a living at 76 after taking tens of millions over the years? If so, he is a bigger idiot than the comments he has spewed over the decades.

1. Agreed.

2. That's not how addiction works, LOL. This is just supporting my point.

3. I'm not calling him a victim in any way, shape or form. That is 100% strawman. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

We could:

A lifetime of ignition lock out devices. Long term treatment not go to one or two victim impact panels and you're done. Work only driving permits for multiple years not weeks or months. No public drinking with a notification to bars and restaurants on your license. 

Nope,  instead we tell them they made a mistake. It could happen to anyone. We hand them keys and tell them to keep driving. 

Ok, that's a sensible response. But that problem goes way beyond TLR and sadly I don't think skme of what you mentioned ends up being realistic, especially the part about lifetime car bans. 

Not saying I disagree with you at all. It's just the demonization that bothers me, and how people keep attacking him for being "sincere" who clearly don't grasp the hold addiction has. We are all flawed as human beings and are full of shit at numerous points in our life. That is just the way it is but so many people want to act like their shit doesn't stink.

I'm more turned off by Larussa's archaic attitude about a great many things than I am about an addiction to something.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

1. Agreed.

2. That's not how addiction works, LOL. This is just supporting my point.

3. I'm not calling him a victim in any way, shape or form. That is 100% strawman. 

2. My point covers fans reactions, not whether he is an addict or not. Nobody beyond perhaps his wife knows whether he is an alcoholic or just an arrogant person who doesn't give a shit if he drinks and drives and any consequences, he knows enablers like Jerry will always bail him out. He could quite possibly be both.

3. Explain this quote:

"Not fair to judge a person so harshly that you believe it's perfectly fine for them to be put in a situation where they are screwed in all aspects of life because no one will help."