Tony LaRussa to plead guilty to lesser charge

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

LIterally no one has said this, but sure.  Have at it.

Isn't it comparable to not wanting the President to do well, but wishing the country does well? And we both know there are some people that can't wait to show that Tony can't relate to players, can't grasp advanced statistics, etc. For that to happen it would seem the team would need to falter. I don't think it's a sizable number, but there are always some that want to be right. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'm not going to waste my time digging around for it. Somebody said it. 

I think it's a good guess based on past history with other issues. To me it fits the "I knew this (insert bad thing) was going to happen!" posts. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Absolute minimum has to give up his license and only drink at night. But he won't.

Is 6 am night?

I don't understand why ignition lockout devices are required after the first DUI but certainly they should be after the 2nd. 

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Isn't it comparable to not wanting the President to do well, but wishing the country does well? And we both know there are some people that can't wait to show that Tony can't relate to players, can't grasp advanced statistics, etc. For that to happen it would seem the team would need to falter. I don't think it's a sizable number, but there are always some that want to be right. 

Not really.  You can hold the belief that the President is a raging idiot who will screw things up to the point where lots of people will suffer and lose their lives, fully believing his election set the country back decades, while also hoping for the best.  I don't think anyone who like me thinks hiring TLR was disastrously stupid, and could ruin the years of rebuild that we have already partaken in, but would absolutely not mind being wrong about it.

How about this scenario, there are some posters here, I'd say we make up the majority, that love to say I told you so and prove other posters wrong. It's easy to get the feeling in December that that feeling is stronger than wanting the team to win. I doubt there are many of us that take it that far. Certainly by April those people are probably gone. But a blown save, a miscue by Eaton, a poor pitching change and we know what will be posted in the game threads. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not really.  You can hold the belief that the President is a raging idiot who will screw things up to the point where lots of people will suffer and lose their lives, fully believing his election set the country back decades, while also hoping for the best.  I don't think anyone who like me thinks hiring TLR was disastrously stupid, and could ruin the years of rebuild that we have already partaken in, but would absolutely not mind being wrong about it.

You wouldn't have wanted to be wrong about the President?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure I did.  I'd like to be wrong about Tony as well, but nothing about this hire has gotten off to a positive start.

Which is why I believe they are much the same. I wasn't a Trump fan, but I didn't want the country to fail. Same with TLR circa 2020. 

Most people realize the White Sox can finish 20 games under .500 from here on out, and there isn't a goddamn thing Kenny Williams or Rick Hahn can do to LaRussa, as long as Jerry maintains control of the team. 

The White Sox finished four times in four decades under Reinsdorf with a winning record above Rick Renteria's .583 2020 mark. Time will tell if a 2021 and beyond Tony LaRussa is competent enough to even match Rick Renteria's accomplishment.

The last time Tony managed 10 years ago, he cost his team a World Series game for his inability to use a phone. Nobody believes this carbon dated alcoholic misanthrope has improved in the decade since.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, tray said:

I'd rather have LaRussa manage with hangovers and arthritis pain than be lost in the Ventura Malaise where no one including the supposedly  prescient Rick Hahn would fire him.   Ventura looked like he was on quaaludes at times .

Having seen Bobby Valentine with the Red Sox...it is actually possible to be worse than that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Most people realize the White Sox can finish 20 games under .500 from here on out, and there isn't a goddamn thing Kenny Williams or Rick Hahn can do to LaRussa, as long as Jerry maintains control of the team. 

That is assuming that JR wants to employ Tony more than he wants one more WS. I think it's a possibility that JR is convinced Tony is the guy to bring that WS. JR is willing to go through all this to win that WS. If all he wanted to do was give Tony a paycheck there were other ways. 

I think JR will be quicker than usual if there is an issue that affects winning that WS. 

I know we'll disagree with JR that Tony is the best choice as manager, the discussion here is JRs prime motivation,  was it to employ Tony again at all cost or win a WS at all cost. I think that WS is bigger. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

That is assuming that JR wants to employ Tony more than he wants one more WS. I think it's a possibility that JR is convinced Tony is the guy to bring that WS. JR is willing to go through all this to win that WS. If all he wanted to do was give Tony a paycheck there were other ways. 

I think JR will be quicker than usual if there is an issue that affects winning that WS. 

I know we'll disagree with JR that Tony is the best choice as manager, the discussion here is JRs prime motivation,  was it to employ Tony again at all cost or win a WS at all cost. I think that WS is bigger. 

And how exactly could he have convinced himself of that when the rest of his front office disagreed? If Hahn and Williams both didn’t believe he was so obviously the best candidate for the job that they wanted to interview others, who could Reinsdorf have talked to that would support that idea? The only person I can think of who would tell JR that LaRussa was so clearly the best possible person for the job that no one else should be considered ever is...LaRussa. No one else on Earth would have thought that.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And how exactly could he have convinced himself of that when the rest of his front office disagreed? If Hahn and Williams both didn’t believe he was so obviously the best candidate for the job that they wanted to interview others, who could Reinsdorf have talked to that would support that idea? The only person I can think of who would tell JR that LaRussa was so clearly the best possible person for the job that no one else should be considered ever is...LaRussa. No one else on Earth would have thought that.

Sort of how Jerry got into the "amends/Depends" business in the first place, with Jerry listening to Hawk telling him how he could "fix" the White Sox, hiring Hawk and firing LaRussa. I said it in other threads, both tongue in cheek and in all seriousness. Jerry needs to stay out of White Sox Business. What I mean by that is Jerry, and more importantly the White Sox team and organization, would be better off with Jerry working with Pizer to set the annual budget, and staying out of White Sox Business in terms of on and off field personnel.

Jerry, Jerry likes his money , He makes a lot they say

Spends his days counting, at the ballpark, near the Expressway....

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The White Sox finished four times in four decades under Reinsdorf with a winning record above Rick Renteria's .583 2020 mark. Time will tell if a 2021 and beyond Tony LaRussa is competent enough to even match Rick Renteria's accomplishment.

The last time Tony managed 10 years ago, he cost his team a World Series game for his inability to use a phone. Nobody believes this carbon dated alcoholic misanthrope has improved in the decade since.

I must not be most people. Sure it can happen but not because of TLR. There would have to be a boatload of injuries so technically ,yes, that could happen any year.

Do you believe so little in the talent of the players that TLR can cause a 30 game shift from last year ? It must be nice casting stones from your ivory tower while no one can cast stones at the mistakes you have made in your life as an unknown non public figure. You are way over the top.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Someone needs to tell marketing that now is the time for a deal with Uber or Lyft and to make it clear that Tony is not driving ever again while he is manager 

There are a ton of marketing opportunities.  Official beer, wine and liquor commercials...  Howard Aiken could have a whole new line of work.  7th inning stretch sponsored by AA.  Tony managing live from the bar at Goose Island.  There is some money to be made for Jerry.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are a ton of marketing opportunities.  Official beer, wine and liquor commercials...  Howard Aiken could have a whole new line of work.  7th inning stretch sponsored by AA.  Tony managing live from the bar at Goose Island.  There is some money to be made for Jerry.

I think my idea might piss off less people no disrespect 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

People have formed ideas and beliefs and will argue with people with more knowledge and experience that they are right.  JR isn't unique in that. He's owned a baseball team for decades and has learned a lot. I don't believe he's stupid, he's made plenty of personnel decisions in his life,  and he made a decision. 

I find it easier to believe he said "I believe TLR is our best change at winning a WS" over "I don't care if we even break .500 I want to hire Tony back." 

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Someone needs to tell marketing that now is the time for a deal with Uber or Lyft and to make it clear that Tony is not driving ever again while he is manager 

I think the plan is to get him to stop drinking, especially at bars. No need to encourage drinking by offering a lyft and uber. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

People have formed ideas and beliefs and will argue with people with more knowledge and experience that they are right.  JR isn't unique in that. He's owned a baseball team for decades and has learned a lot. I don't believe he's stupid, he's made plenty of personnel decisions in his life,  and he made a decision. 

I find it easier to believe he said "I believe TLR is our best change at winning a WS" over "I don't care if we even break .500 I want to hire Tony back." 

Tony was hired for two reasons. 

1. He is an icon and very popular. He will bring outside notoriety and publicity to the team, good or bad. This brings in money and prevents us from being an afterthought (see 2004-2006) When we play on national TV, TLR will be a big focal point for the announcers, which wasn't the case with RR and Ventura. 

2. TLR is a winner, period. He has had success in four different decades managing. He knows the game very well and can lead a talented team to the World Series. You don't have to worry about him costing you games like RR and Ventura on the field. 

The caveat to this is his off the field issues. This is a valid concern and could very well blow up in our faces. But the Sox are going big, so we shall see how it plays out. I just wish they'd spend more money on top end talent to really put us over the top before our guys get too expensive.