Tony LaRussa to plead guilty to lesser charge

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Tony was hired for two reasons. 

1. He is an icon and very popular. He will bring outside notoriety and publicity to the team, good or bad. This brings in money and prevents us from being an afterthought (see 2004-2006) When we play on national TV, TLR will be a big focal point for the announcers, which wasn't the case with RR and Ventura. 

2. TLR is a winner, period. He has had success in four different decades managing. He knows the game very well and can lead a talented team to the World Series. You don't have to worry about him costing you games like RR and Ventura on the field. 

The caveat to this is his off the field issues. This is a valid concern and could very well blow up in our faces. But the Sox are going big, so we shall see how it plays out. I just wish they'd spend more money on top end talent to really put us over the top before our guys get too expensive. 

For a guy who hasn't coached in nearly a decade and now thinks these youngsters have a lot to learn, that's not necessarily true. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I must not be most people. Sure it can happen but not because of TLR. There would have to be a boatload of injuries so technically ,yes, that could happen any year.

Do you believe so little in the talent of the players that TLR can cause a 30 game shift from last year ? It must be nice casting stones from your ivory tower while no one can cast stones at the mistakes you have made in your life as an unknown non public figure. You are way over the top.

Well, I have no criminal record, I retired at 50 living prudently, doing well for and to others. I never lashed out at those trying to change society positively. Was able to find employment throughout my life not relying on cronyism for four decades. Not a high bar, I acknowledge, but also not a bar Tony has or can meet at any level.

My point, which clearly went over your head, is outside of Tony literally shooting  Jerry or a member of his family, he is untouchable as long as Jerry is alive and seated as Chairman. Tony was rightfully out of managing for a decade. He has sucked enough time and money out of society over the decades with his traveling Booze and Balco show, if he had any common decency or concern for anyone but himself, he would have never even sought the job in the first place.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think the plan is to get him to stop drinking, especially at bars. No need to encourage drinking by offering a lyft and uber. 

Based on what he said yesterday, the plan is to not drink and drive.   

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are a ton of marketing opportunities.  Official beer, wine and liquor commercials...  Howard Aiken could have a whole new line of work.  7th inning stretch sponsored by AA.  Tony managing live from the bar at Goose Island.  There is some money to be made for Jerry.

He's been there, done that. That said, no liquor company will touch Rummy with a ten foot pole. 

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You don't think the youngsters have a lot to learn ?

Jerry Reinsdorf said Tony has no business managing, he is too old to deal with the job or trying to relate to players in their 20s. He said this in February 2020, before Tony called from his jail cell and beg Jerry for a job.

Jerry said it, and then he did what he did. There are no fools like old fools.

"Managing, it just takes an awful lot out of you. There's nothing else for him to accomplish. You know, he's won three World Series, and uh, he's in the Hall of Fame. And so, there's no reason for him to go back to managing,  and have to try to deal with people 22 years old when you're 75 years old."

6:23 mark

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

For a guy who hasn't coached in nearly a decade and now thinks these youngsters have a lot to learn, that's not necessarily true. 

He's coached successfully in 4 different decades. He has experience relating to current players per generation. This group will be more of a task for him for sure, but he asked for this so he needs to own it. The onus is on him to step up and prove he is worthy of this job and not the backlash he is getting. I believe in giving people chances to redeem themselves,so we shall see. People are entitled to their opinions, but in his case, those opinions need to be reevaluated and adjusted on and off the field. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Tony was hired for two reasons. 

1. He is an icon and very popular. He will bring outside notoriety and publicity to the team, good or bad. This brings in money and prevents us from being an afterthought (see 2004-2006) When we play on national TV, TLR will be a big focal point for the announcers, which wasn't the case with RR and Ventura. 

2. TLR is a winner, period. He has had success in four different decades managing. He knows the game very well and can lead a talented team to the World Series. You don't have to worry about him costing you games like RR and Ventura on the field. 

The caveat to this is his off the field issues. This is a valid concern and could very well blow up in our faces. But the Sox are going big, so we shall see how it plays out. I just wish they'd spend more money on top end talent to really put us over the top before our guys get too expensive. 

Since I wasn't involved and haven't talked with JR personally I'm just guessing. I believe your points are valid. What they will be taking about is his multiple DUIs

27 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

So on at least two previous occasions, was he actually planning to drink and drive, or was he planning not to and failed? Either answer makes his statement pretty ridiculous.

I'm not gonna pretend I know what he is thinking.  It's all ridiculous 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well, I have no criminal record, I retired at 50 living prudently, doing well for and to others. I never lashed out at those trying to change society positively. Was able to find employment throughout my life not relying on cronyism for four decades. Not a high bar, I acknowledge, but also not a bar Tony has or can meet at any level.

My point, which clearly went over your head, is outside of Tony literally shooting  Jerry or a member of his family, he is untouchable as long as Jerry is alive and seated as Chairman. Tony was rightfully out of managing for a decade. He has sucked enough time and money out of society over the decades with his traveling Booze and Balco show, if he had any common decency or concern for anyone but himself, he would have never even sought the job in the first place.

Are you making another point through hyberbole again or do you actually mean what you say? I am so dimwitted I get confused easily when people are trying to change society positively through constantly berating a guy on a sports message board when you've already been doing it for months. I hope your crusade has spurned others in this tiny community to seek to right this grave injustice through the use of music videos like you.

Is it just me or does" retired at 50 living prudently" sound like " I am living alone in my mother's basement", to anyone else ? 

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

Since I wasn't involved and haven't talked with JR personally I'm just guessing. I believe your points are valid. What they will be taking about is his multiple DUIs

Or if the Sox make it to the World Series maybe 99% of the time they will be talking about baseball.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I am so dimwitted I get confused easily

OK Boomer, one of your more cognizant statements. Similar to your self-proclaimed ignorance of baseball economics, yet full of baseless opinions. Karens like you and Tony can't understand why there is near universal opposition to this pathetic crony hire of a pathetic drunken criminal, or Tony's lifelong history of ignorant comments, comments a majority of Boomers share. Not surprised you clutch your pearls when anyone dare criticize the naked drunk emperor. 

For your lame insult attempt, ignored. No longer paying your troll toll.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

OK Boomer, one of your more cognizant statements. Similar to your self-proclaimed ignorance of baseball economics, yet full of baseless opinions. Karens like you and Tony can't understand why there is near universal opposition to this pathetic crony hire of a pathetic drunken criminal, or Tony's lifelong history of ignorant comments, comments a majority of Boomers share. Not surprised you clutch your pearls when anyone dare criticize the naked drunk emperor. 

So you feel you are an enlightened Boomer compared to Cali.

I find it odd that while TLR may be a rather deplorable human being this board feels he is just a muttering old man who has never accomplished anything.  I believe while he failed in AZ he was credited with assisting in Bostons WS run 2 years ago.

I think he is keeping the seat warm for Jerishchelle (no clue how to spell it).  He gets two years.

I also don't think he is sitting around trying to sign players either.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Oh good I can still comment on you self righteousness without expecting self righteous comments back. Thank you. Talk about a troll.. pot calling the kettle black. And yes I can easily admit that I don't know everything about baseball economics or most things for that matter because I am not as arrogant and egotistical as you.

I am not defending LaRussa as much as I am questioning you. This ceaseless, sanctimonious charade to parade your righteous indignation is pathetic.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/podcasts/bernstein-show-65/transition-reacting-to-tony-la-russas-comments-on-his-dui-arrest-352854596

Good transition two minutes in regarding Tony's ongoing denial of his substance abuse issues by chalking up his criminal behavior to a habitual series of bad decisions (a great attribute for a Manager). The segment also covers Tony's numerous other significant issues, and the unfortunate impact on the White Sox.

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/podcasts/laurence-holmes-on-670-the-score-61/holmes-mark-grote-interview-top-5-tuesday-ft-dan-durkin-hour-1-352861216

Laurence Holmes covers LaRussa's alcoholism further four minutes in, and the White Sox' irresponsible behavior and communication over the past several weeks. Laurence concludes the segment stating Tony is either an alcoholic in need of help, and or a liar.