Tony LaRussa to plead guilty to lesser charge

southsider2k5

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because there’s no amount of b****ing about it now that can change it. By all means, let people keep calling and canceling their tickets.  Those same people are the ones complaining they went cheap in free agency.  Some people are hijacking every thread to find a way to complain about Tony, and maybe it’s me but it has not benefited the quality of the board.

Wait, so it's the fans who cancelled their season tickets fault - due to the Sox hiring a drunk - that they didn't spend in Free Agency? Is that really the angle your going with?

Or are you going with the even more offensive - if you don't buy season tickets you shouldn't have expectations or be allowed to call out your teams cheapness?

As someone who hasn't posted about La Russa probably since the week or two after the hiring, I'm just trying to find the angle here. Do I get my money back for the past four years (prior to 2020) that I had season tickets and the Sox didn't even try to put a MLB team on the field? Or that doesn't count.... you can only expect them to spend if you, yourself, have season tickets for the season you expect them to spend. Man, it's hard being a Sox fan; you either support an organization that never spends and hires a drunk or it's somehow your fault they hired a drunk and didn't spend.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, tray said:

LaRussa entered a plea to a lower charge and the States Atty accepted it in lieu of trial. This is done routinely...thousands of times every day througoput our country ....and on charges more serious than a stationary DUI charge.  And it does not depend on how much money you pay an attorney or as some think,, involve a bribe to the Judge. Pleading to a lower charge  is a necessary  part of our judicial system.  If you haven't been in a criminal Court perhaps you cannot understand this and why it is necessary.  If there were aggravating circumstances the plead would not have been accepted. There may have been mitigating circumstances and certain weaknesses in the State's case that made them accept the plea.

But as far as moral turpitude involving the game of baseball I give that award to Keuchel,  a guy who was complicit in a cheating scandal involving his own team, a transgression that some consider worse than what Pete Rose did.  And the dude remains entirely unapologetic about it.

Well said. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wait, so it's the fans who cancelled their season tickets fault - due to the Sox hiring a drunk - that they didn't spend in Free Agency? Is that really the angle your going with?

Or are you going with the even more offensive - if you don't buy season tickets you shouldn't have expectations or be allowed to call out your teams cheapness?

As someone who hasn't posted about La Russa probably since the day or two after the hiring, I'm just trying to find the angle here. Do I get my money back for the past four years (prior to 2020) that I had season tickets and the Sox didn't even try to put a MLB team on the field? Or that doesn't count.... you can only expect them to spend if you, yourself, have season tickets for the season you expect them to spend.

Sox base their payroll off of expected attendance.  Expected attendance I’m sure took a hit with so many people canceling, which I have no problem with, everyone can spend their money how they want.  With that said, it’s only natural to expect the budget to be less than it was due to the lower estimation of ticket sales. Seems like basic economics to me.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

White Sox manager pleads guilty to crime he was charged with day before being hired, which the team knew about.

However, because it was a lesser charge, some members of Soxtalk view this as a win.

Alright.

Not a win, just closure hopefully.  It was obvious the night Passan reported it that Tony’s job unfortunately was safe.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox base their payroll off of expected attendance.  Expected attendance I’m sure took a hit with so many people canceling, which I have no problem with, everyone can spend their money how they want.  With that said, it’s only natural to expect the budget to be less than it was due to the lower estimation of ticket sales. Seems like basic economics to me.

What are you basing this on? Attendance hasn't been the primary revenue source for teams in quite some time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tray said:

LaRussa entered a plea to a lower charge and the States Atty accepted it in lieu of trial. This is done routinely...thousands of times every day througoput our country ....and on charges more serious than a stationary DUI charge.  And it does not depend on how much money you pay an attorney or as some think,, involve a bribe to the Judge. Pleading to a lower charge  is a necessary  part of our judicial system.  If you haven't been in a criminal Court perhaps you cannot understand this and why it is necessary.  If there were aggravating circumstances the plead would not have been accepted. There may have been mitigating circumstances and certain weaknesses in the State's case that made them accept the plea.

But as far as moral turpitude involving the game of baseball I give that award to Keuchel,  a guy who was complicit in a cheating scandal involving his own team, a transgression that some consider worse than what Pete Rose did.  And the dude remains entirely unapologetic about it.

tray’s morality tiers from most to least acceptable action:

1. Getting a “stationary” DUI and pleading your way out of it
  2. Exposing teammates to deadly virus and lying about it
  3. Not snitching out your teammates for a cheating scandal
Edited by Chicago White Sox

In other words the court treated him like they do most people with DUIs. I've known poor college students receiving pre trial diversion and it's off their record. 

Anyone here not know someone with a DUI? What did you want to have happen to them?  Jail time? Unemployment? 

I lost my brother to a drunk driving crash. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What are you basing this on? Attendance hasn't been the primary revenue source for teams in quite some time.

Just because it isn’t the primary revenue source doesn’t mean it isn’t one the of the main factors driving payroll budgets.  TV related revenue is mostly fixed, so the biggest variable portion is going to be attendance and things driven off that such as merchandise, concession, & parking.  If you’re saying projected attendance doesn’t drive planned payroll you’re 100% wrong.

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s how they project their payroll. Bernstein even said it the other day.  

You'd expect to see some correlation here then: this is $ spent per fan since 1980

image.png

The only correlation here pertains to league spending, not White Sox attendance, which has been pretty stagnant in general since 2007. For a comparison, here are the attendance numbers during that same period.

image.png

Those two graphs show very little relation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just because it isn’t the primary revenue source doesn’t mean it isn’t one the of the main factors driving payroll budgets.  TV related revenue is mostly fixed, so the biggest variable portion is going to be attendance and things driven off that such as merchandise, concession, & parking.  If you’re saying projected attendance doesn’t drive planned payroll you’re 100% wrong.

It has some effect, sure, but it isn't the difference between signing a big free agent and not is my point. It's impact on overall spending has not been significant over the past 40 years.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Because there’s no amount of b****ing about it now that can change it. By all means, let people keep calling and canceling their tickets.  Those same people are the ones complaining they went cheap in free agency.  Some people are hijacking every thread to find a way to complain about Tony, and maybe it’s me but it has not benefited the quality of the board.

So of all of the things that people have held grudges for over decades of this ownership group, the one that could actually endanger people's lives is the one who should get over it.  All of the hours spent b****ing in game threads about plays that didn't get made doesn't affect the quality of the board, but god forbid people are upset about hiring a two time felon hypocritical racist to run this team, and those are the people should get over it.  Fuck that.  It's bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/report-white-sox-manager-tony-la-russa-enters-plea-deal-dui-charges

According to the report, La Russa will have to pay a $1,383 fine, all incarceration costs, and will have to complete 20 hours of community service. La Russa will have a change of plea hearing on Dec. 21, The Athletic says. On that date it will also be determined whether or not La Russa has to serve any jail time.

La Russa has not spoken publicly since news of his arrest first broke in November.

So in Bob Nightengale speak, if jail time for a DUI conviction equates to missing time at work due to the flu, does no jail time mean Tony's criminal conviction equate to a case of the hiccups or acid reflux? Anxiously awaiting Steve Stone's tweets on the subject.

Still holding out hope his arrest video and police reports will be fully posted in the near future. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/tony-larussa-dui-arrest 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Texsox said:

In other words the court treated him like they do most people with DUIs. I've known poor college students receiving pre trial diversion and it's off their record. 

Anyone here not know someone with a DUI? What did you want to have happen to them?  Jail time? Unemployment? 

I lost my brother to a drunk driving crash. 

The problem I have is this wasn’t his first time. It’s long enough for AZ to forget about it happening before, but not for me. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem I have is this wasn’t his first time. It’s long enough for AZ to forget about it happening before, but not for me. 

We're too lenient from the start. Fuck these drunk drivers. Lock them up. Throw away the key on number 2. But friends are always so supportive. Oh you made a mistake. Families will help them out and drive them around when they lose they're license for 30 days or some other b.s.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

We're too lenient from the start. Fuck these drunk drivers. Lock them up. Throw away the key on number 2. But friends are always so supportive. Oh you made a mistake. Families will help them out and drive them around when they lose they're license for 30 days or some other b.s.

This is way too extreme. 

People are still people. We all have flaws. Addictions. Vices. You don't just say, "fuck that guy" and expect no one to help. That's not productive either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You'd expect to see some correlation here then: this is $ spent per fan since 1980

image.png

The only correlation here pertains to league spending, not White Sox attendance, which has been pretty stagnant in general since 2007. For a comparison, here are the attendance numbers during that same period.

image.png

Those two graphs show very little relation.

image.png

Pretty good correlation there.

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I don’t disagree.  Sorry about your brother 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

image.png

Pretty good correlation there.

Problem with this is payroll has grown substantially since the sox spent in the top 5 range. Look at the variance between the top and bottom 5 spenders in 2000-2005 vs 2015-2020. The sox actually look worse when compared to the average payroll by year too. Due to revenue growth, and team spending escalating year over year. The year has to be somewhere in the analysis imo.

I used to believe the same as you - they'd spend top 5 if they won, but now that they're reluctant to spend 140 i find it almost impossible they'll spend in the 190-210 range so they'll never return to the peaks there but I hope I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:This is way too extreme. 

People are still people. We all have flaws. Addictions. Vices. You don't just say, "fuck that guy" and expect no one to help. That's not productive either. 

When you have blood tests and breathalyzer results indicating driving impaired, I don’t think it should be pled down especially if their is a previous DUI, even if it is from another state a decade ago. 

Studies indicate you drive drunk 80 times before your first arrest. Maybe the only 2 times TLR drove drunk he got pulled over. I doubt it, just like I wonder how many times he has used his HOF baseball person line. 

I mentioned in one thread I was hit head on and my car totaled by a guy I think may have been drunk. They never tested him. He had no insurance. This was before imsurance was mandatory. He was charged with illegal lane usage and some other BS charge, which they dropped because he had no priors. I had to sue him. I asked the prosecutor how ome would get priors if charges are dropped because they don’t have any, and she didn’t answer.

• Thanks 2