Tony LaRussa to plead guilty to lesser charge

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

I'd be shocked if more than 5 season ticket holders cancelled because LaRussa had four glasses of wine when he should have stopped at three.  Season ticket holders have sat through years of crap baseball waiting for what may be happening in the next few years; the only ones cancelling are probably in the category of Sox fan that is always looking for an excuse to stay home anyway.   Hell, I know Sox fans who still b**** about what channel the games were on forty year ago.  The fans who claim they won't buy tickets because of LaRussa weren't going to buy tickets anyway, and the Sox know it.

Did he stop at four?  

• Thanks 1

Hopefully the TLR DUI posts can stop sooner than later now that this done with. 

I'm pretty surprised how many people here carry such strong judgment bc of a DUI (Yes. 2. Spread a part). 

More than likely you've driven over the limit several times in your life. You more than likely are good friends with someone who has and still does. They/You were probably "lucky" enough to not have been caught. 

DUI cases are knocked down to reckless all the time. It has nothing to do with his status.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Hopefully the TLR DUI posts can stop sooner than later now that this done with. 

I'm pretty surprised how many people here carry such strong judgment bc of a DUI (Yes. 2. Spread a part). 

More than likely you've driven over the limit several times in your life. You more than likely are good friends with someone who has and still does. They/You were probably "lucky" enough to not have been caught. 

DUI cases are knocked down to reckless all the time. It has nothing to do with his status.

Maybe if you knew someone who was hurt by a drunk driver or family that was devastated by it, you might have some perspective. This guy screwed up his car thank God, and not some innocent person. But give him a pass. We can’t tie up the courts with something so trivial.

The fact that repeat offenders get a slap on the wrist shows why this problem will never go away.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Did he stop at four?  

Well three would put him at .09, which is what he blew.  So I sort of assumed he had another and burned some off before the test.  I could be wrong however if this happened immediately after leaving the restaurant it could have been three total.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe if you knew someone who was hurt by a drunk driver or family that was devastated by it, you might have some perspective. This guy screwed up his car thank God, and not some innocent person. But give him a pass. We can’t tie up the courts with something so trivial.

I do know someone. Me. I was hit by one and was injured. Nothing major but it was still pretty scary. Does not change the fact that most people are close to someone that does it, has not been caught, and yet they dont hold such grudge/hate towards said person. 

Not sure what you mean with "But give him a pass". People, every day, are given "passes" when the court knocks a DUI down to a reckless. It's done a lot and with nobodies like you and I. Not just people w/ high status. Now, if you feel no one should be given a pass than sure. You are entitled to that opinion and I can u/s why you are upset TLR was given one.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder how many people on this board have texted while driving.  Proven to be significantly more dangerous than driving at .09.  Or how about speeding.  Also significantly more dangerous than drunk driving if more than 20 over the limit.  Both have caused many deaths as well.  Just don't get caught often or get headlines if they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I wonder how many people on this board have texted while driving.  Proven to be significantly more dangerous than driving at .09.  Or how about speeding.  Also significantly more dangerous than drunk driving if more than 20 over the limit.  Both have caused many deaths as well.  Just don't get caught often or get headlines if they do.

The guy did get caught, twice. So how many times did he do it without being caught? How does that make it OK? And he got a slap on the wrist both times. I wonder if he will tell us it will never happen again. Again. 

if it is no big deal, don’t even bother arresting him or charging him. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

I'd be shocked if more than 5 season ticket holders cancelled because LaRussa had four glasses of wine when he should have stopped at three.  Season ticket holders have sat through years of crap baseball waiting for what may be happening in the next few years; the only ones cancelling are probably in the category of Sox fan that is always looking for an excuse to stay home anyway.   Hell, I know Sox fans who still b**** about what channel the games were on forty year ago.  The fans who claim they won't buy tickets because of LaRussa weren't going to buy tickets anyway, and the Sox know it.

This really isn't true though.  The blood test pegged him at 0.095 which was taken hours after he quit drinking and started driving.  The science showed he was more like .145 when he left and started driving.

• Thanks 3

I've been reading this board for a while and am finishing up school so I decided to finally join.

I had a good friend killed by a drunk driver, so this issue is personal for me. I see a big problem with how this country treats drunk driving. Our attitudes tend to vary wildly depending on the result of the drunk driving offense. We treat someone who drives drunk and kills somebody as a criminal that should be locked up and someone who drives drunk but just falls asleep while stopped at a light like it's no big deal. It's called "results oriented" thinking and it's dangerous. Once you choose to drive drunk, it's mostly a matter of chance whether you kill someone, get pulled over, or get away with it completely. If we don't heavily disincentivize the action when it doesn't kill anybody, we make it more likely that they will do it again, and thus eventually do kill or seriously injure somebody.

Our family has decided that we will continue to watch Sox games on TV and root for the players to do well, we will not be buying tickets, licensed apparel, etc., so long as Tony LaRussa is manager. The adults in the family are also no longer drinking Goose Island or any other alcohol companies that sponsor the Sox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

On 12/14/2020 at 7:05 AM, Dick Allen said:

The guy did get caught, twice. So how many times did he do it without being caught? How does that make it OK? And he got a slap on the wrist both times. I wonder if he will tell us it will never happen again. Again. 

if it is no big deal, don’t even bother arresting him or charging him. 

What he is saying isn't a whataboutism. It's simply a lesson that people should be way less judgmental. So many people throw stones inside their glass houses. Sure, there's different extremities in terms of hazardous things that risk people's lives, no doubt. But some people have this attitude as if there can be no reconciliation and yet never look at themselves.

No one is above the possibility of this happening to them. That's the point and more people need to think about that before they sling their rocks.

And yes, I think Larussa should have been canned (never hired, actually, but yeah).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I've been reading this board for a while and am finishing up school so I decided to finally join.

I had a good friend killed by a drunk driver, so this issue is personal for me. I see a big problem with how this country treats drunk driving. Our attitudes tend to vary wildly depending on the result of the drunk driving offense. We treat someone who drives drunk and kills somebody as a criminal that should be locked up and someone who drives drunk but just falls asleep while stopped at a light like it's no big deal. It's called "results oriented" thinking and it's dangerous. Once you choose to drive drunk, it's mostly a matter of chance whether you kill someone, get pulled over, or get away with it completely. If we don't heavily disincentivize the action when it doesn't kill anybody, we make it more likely that they will do it again, and thus eventually do kill or seriously injure somebody.

Our family has decided that we will continue to watch Sox games on TV and root for the players to do well, we will not be buying tickets, licensed apparel, etc., so long as Tony LaRussa is manager. The adults in the family are also no longer drinking Goose Island or any other alcohol companies that sponsor the Sox.

Thanks for your post and welcome to Soxtalk. Sorry to read about your friend’s tragic death.

Some claim here boycotts are fake, and people saying they are boycotting had no plans to go to White Sox games. My most recent Sox game was in early March 2020 in Arizona, two weeks before the lockdown. I planned to go to many games here last year until COVID restrictions killed that possibility. Planned on returning to AZ and Comiskey Park II next year, until this hire as news of the Sox owner’s disregard over his arrest.

I’ll listen to games with Len Kasper and Chris Singleton, and watch the free game summary videos on mlb.com until LaRussa is gone. Since I live in Chicago, I want the team to address how Tony LaRussa will travel within in the city, to allow residents here to take necessary precautions when LaRussa is in town.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks for your post and welcome to Soxtalk. Sorry to read about your friend’s tragic death.

Some claim here boycotts are fake, and people saying they are boycotting had no plans to go to White Sox games. My most recent Sox game was in early March 2020 in Arizona, two weeks before the lockdown. I planned to go to many games here last year until COVID restrictions killed that possibility. Planned on returning to AZ and Comiskey Park II next year, until this hire as news of the Sox owner’s disregard over his arrest.

I’ll listen to games with Len Kasper and Chris Singleton, and watch the free game summary videos on mlb.com until LaRussa is gone. Since I live in Chicago, I want the team to address how Tony LaRussa will travel within in the city, to allow residents here to take necessary precautions when LaRussa is in town.

We usually go to 5-6 games per year. Probably was already going to be less than that in 2021 due to COVID but that number is now zero. I know it won't have a huge impact, but it's what we're doing. I'm very frustrated that this issue is not taken seriously.

• Thanks 2

On 12/14/2020 at 6:42 AM, ThirdGen said:

Drinking in itself is the actual problem here. How many cases of abuse, assaults, and deaths occur because of people drinking alcohol?

6 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

This was expected and now the organization and Tony can say he was arrested on the suspicion of DUI, but not charged blah blah and save face. 🤡 

No repercussions for his actions = he’ll do it again. Which is about course for the justice system. 

Which is why the organization wouldn't comment.  They are going to pretend this didn't happen and enable the drunk. 

• Thanks 3

Very sad seeing all the posts here from people who have lost significant other to drunken driving. I'm lucky enough to not have lost anybody to a drunken driver. I know how common it can be. 

It's sickening that the Sox hired these guy back after what should have been a 2nd DUI. I hope reporters grill the Sox/Hahn on this subject. I want to know if there is any disciplinary action they took against Tony, or if he has seeked any help. 

• Thanks 1

On the one hand, I'm of the belief that once someone makes a mistake, and makes amends, (s)he should be forgiven, and life should go on. After all, who among us hasn't fucked up in life? [Yes, I recognize that there are varying degrees of fucking up, and that this ideal I hold can be tested any number of ways.]

That said, I hold certain folks among us to a higher degree of responsibility than others. In THIS case, a fabulously wealthy senior citizen, who has the resources to be driven wherever-the-fuck he wants, AND has already fucked up in life should fucking know better.

Were he a young man, or too poor to get home any other way, or had never fucked up before, I might be more leniently-minded.

So, I do think that TLR should have known better, AND had the cash and/or credit to afford a limo, AND had the name recognition to get a ride anytime of day or night, AND in the day and age of Uber, there is no fucking way this should have happened. At a minimum, he should have been let go, but even better, he shouldn't have even been given the chance to re-offend, while managing an MLB team. This just sucks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Very sad seeing all the posts here from people who have lost significant other to drunken driving. I'm lucky enough to not have lost anybody to a drunken driver. I know how common it can be. 

It's sickening that the Sox hired these guy back after what should have been a 2nd DUI. I hope reporters grill the Sox/Hahn on this subject. I want to know if there is any disciplinary action they took against Tony, or if he has seeked any help. 

Probably not fair to grill Hahn on this. He's been more adversely affected than anyone. He didn't want La Russa and was denied a search for manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2020 White Sox Manager Rick Renteria stood with Tim Anderson

YW2IB326X5GVHIAPFTS7PM3BT4.jpg

2021 White Sox Manager Tony LaRussa kneels on Tim Anderson's neck.

Yesterday

Today

Tony LaRussa Yesterday, Today and Forever

Well that escalated.

Edited by ShoeLessRob

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Drinking in itself is the actual problem here. How many cases of abuse, assaults, and deaths occur because of people drinking alcohol?

It is astounding to me how celebrated alcohol is in our culture despite all the documented damage it does.

Alcohol = most overrated thing ever.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 1