Jump to content
southsider2k5

Tony LaRussa to plead guilty to lesser charge

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

He's a punk ass clown because he drove drunk and put lives in danger twice. We all lie to police, parents, employers, etc. when we get caught doing something wrong.

That's really the bottom line. Driving drunk when you have the resources to hire a DD. The I'm a Hall of Famer and lying is just a little extra. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are you trying to say this is OK?

Not saying it's OK, but we all do it in some form, and the lying isn't what kills people, the drunk driving does. I don't want to take the focus off that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Texsox said:

That's really the bottom line. Driving drunk when you have the resources to hire a DD. The I'm a Hall of Famer and lying is just a little extra. 

Having resources makes it a bit worse, but I don't think we should be excusing drunk drivers who don't have the resources. It's still the same risk of killing someone else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no safety net... except the organization that is willing to overlook his criminal history, and is going to do everything they can to protect him by hiding him from the press to answer for his crimes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notably missing from that statement is any version of "Tony LaRussa received or completed a treatment course."

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is no safety net... except the organization that is willing to overlook his criminal history, and is going to do everything they can to protect him by hiding him from the press to answer for his crimes.

 

"Tony has a proud and productive history with the White Sox and Major League Baseball, which is why we are standing by him" is an absolutely infuriating sentence.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Having resources makes it a bit worse, but I don't think we should be excusing drunk drivers who don't have the resources. It's still the same risk of killing someone else.

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

"Tony has a proud and productive history with the White Sox and Major League Baseball, which is why we are standing by him" is an absolutely infuriating sentence.

Agreed.  If he was just above .500 for his career would they have fired him? Insisted on treatment? I think they are out of their depth on this one. I liked silence better than this statement.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That statement is really embarrassing. They should have just released a statement directly from JR that just said "It's my team and I can do whatever the fuck I want" and it would have at least been more brief.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing happened today that wasn’t expected, including issuing a statement that wasn’t going to satisfy some no matter what they stated. 

Should have never been hired, but it’s over now. Hope they play 162 and Tony gets handed the trophy some October in the next few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you imagine if the Sox actually eliminated LaRuusa after they were made aware? NIGHTENGALE would have written  a column the day they announced Hinch saying LaRussa was a done deal if it wasn't  for his 2nd DUI arrest. And we all would be thinking OK Bob.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Agreed.  If he was just above .500 for his career would they have fired him? Insisted on treatment? I think they are out of their depth on this one. I liked silence better than this statement.

It's infuriating. "Tony is weawwy sowwy that he got caught driving loaded and he's going to put on his Big Boy Pants and Try Real Hard not to get caught driving loaded again and by the way did you remember that he won a bunch forever ago?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Agreed.  If he was just above .500 for his career would they have fired him? Insisted on treatment? I think they are out of their depth on this one. I liked silence better than this statement.

We don't know if treatment has taken place since the arrest or if it will moving forward. That is not something an individual has to disclose to the public. The Sox gave a statement out of respect and it is time to move on for them. They, nor TLR owe the fanbase anything else in this regard. If TLR messes up again, the Sox will be held accountable for keeping their word and letting him go. If people are angry that is their right, but they can take their Fandom elsewhere if they don't like this hire. Or they can give it a chance and enjoy the ride. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, flavum said:

Nothing happened today that wasn’t expected, including issuing a statement that wasn’t going to satisfy some no matter what they stated. 

Should have never been hired, but it’s over now. Hope they play 162 and Tony gets handed the trophy some October in the next few years. 

I would agree except with LaRussa saying he doesn't have a drinking problem.  If he determined that to be the case, fine but leave it to yourself. Say something like you have taken alcohol counseling and learned a lot about yourself. A guy handcuffed twice for driving drunk 8snt going to win anyone over by saying he has no problem. There are many of us White Sox fans who have had their lives effected by a drunk driver whether the victim is the fan himself or a close friend or family member. 

For something the team supposedly has zero tolerance for happening again, they didn't take the first rerun too seriously. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, flavum said:

Nothing happened today that wasn’t expected, including issuing a statement that wasn’t going to satisfy some no matter what they stated. 

Should have never been hired, but it’s over now. Hope they play 162 and Tony gets handed the trophy some October in the next few years. 

Well the problem is they were never going to give me the statement that would actually satisfy me, because that's not how it went down. If they put Tony LaRussa out there to apologize publicly, admit what he did wrong, apologize to the police officer, apologize to Kaepernick (For saying he wasn't sincere when LaRussa's "it'll never happen again" was a truly insincere statement), apologize to the people of Arizona, say that he had completed a treatment program, and that he was honored by the chance to redeem himself with the White Sox, take questions, and even show that he knows the names of his future players...I'd consider that a very strong start. 

But they can't make that statement, because neither laRussa nor the org believes he should apologize or complete a treatment program. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

I would agree except with LaRussa saying he doesn't have a drinking problem.  If he determined that to be the case, fine but leave it to yourself. Say something like you have taken alcohol counseling and learned a lot about yourself. A guy handcuffed twice for driving drunk 8snt going to win anyone over by saying he has no problem. There are many of us White Sox fans who have had their lives effected by a drunk driver whether the victim is the fan himself or a close friend or family member. 

For something the team supposedly has zero tolerance for happening again, they didn't take the first rerun too seriously. 

Getting a DUI or even 2 isn't necessarily a drinking problem. Millions of people get drunk each week to the point where they can't legally drive. TLR has a decision making and self entitlement problem. Getting faded and thinking you are above the public and law and can do whatever you want is wrong. Being a celebrity doesn't give you the right to have reckless decision making. That is where he needs to start. We see this with his comments about kneeling. If he is to become a better person, he needs an attitude adjustment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Texsox said:

That's really the bottom line. Driving drunk when you have the resources to hire a DD. The I'm a Hall of Famer and lying is just a little extra. 

He only drove recklessly.  We can't confirm he drove drunk

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We don't know if treatment has taken place since the arrest or if it will moving forward. That is not something an individual has to disclose to the public. The Sox gave a statement out of respect and it is time to move on for them. They, nor TLR owe the fanbase anything else in this regard. If TLR messes up again, the Sox will be held accountable for keeping their word and letting him go. If people are angry that is their right, but they can take their Fandom elsewhere if they don't like this hire. Or they can give it a chance and enjoy the ride. 

Interestingly, if he had completed one, it almost certainly would have been filed with the judge to verify that he did so, which I think would put it into the public record of the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of what he says means anything anyway, because he made the same exact comments after his first DUI

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well the problem is they were never going to give me the statement that would actually satisfy me, because that's not how it went down. If they put Tony LaRussa out there to apologize publicly, admit what he did wrong, apologize to the police officer, apologize to Kaepernick (For saying he wasn't sincere when LaRussa's "it'll never happen again" was a truly insincere statement), apologize to the people of Arizona, say that he had completed a treatment program, and that he was honored by the chance to redeem himself with the White Sox, take questions, and even show that he knows the names of his future players...I'd consider that a very strong start. 

But they can't make that statement, because neither laRussa nor the org believes he should apologize or complete a treatment program. 

This... except I don’t need to hear about knowing the players or the sincerity stuff. I would’ve really tried to move on if this had happened. Instead we get an it’s not ok but we will look past cuz we think he is really good... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He only drove recklessly.  We can't confirm he drove drunk

Fine.

Drove recklessly with a BAC over the legal limit.*

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Interestingly, if he had completed one, it almost certainly would have been filed with the judge to verify that he did so, which I think would put it into the public record of the case.

Well that is true. But we don't know if his plan was to wait until the matter was resolved. Some lawyers tell their clients to wait to see how the case plays out before doing something like that, even if they want to get help. But believe me, had TLR gotten help people would just say he was doing so to get off easy or to get the job. This is a lose-lose situation for him anyway. I'm also pretty sure the Sox evaluated him mentally before officially hiring him and will help him make the best decision to get better. Especially since a part of their success is in Tony's hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing he could do to show he is sincere and legit, is to voluntarily install one of those devices he would have to blow into to get his car started.

I have an alcoholic family member who has never been arrested. He has driven drunk many times, hundreds if not thousands,  been to rehab 4 times. Been in an ambulance twice after falling down drunk, once at a Home Depot and once at a liquor store. The thing that finally , cross my fingers, seemed to work was being monitored.  He had to blow into a machine twice a day and the results went directly to a doctor. It could determine if hehad a sip.After that ran its course, he volunteered a device for his car. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, daggins said:

That statement is really embarrassing. They should have just released a statement directly from JR that just said "It's my team and I can do whatever the fuck I want" and it would have at least been more brief.

I'd have more respect for that than this garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×