Indians will be no more

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Eventually, will the "WHITE Sox" even be acceptable?

Considering they're talking about clothes and not players, yes.

Notice how no one really gets mad about Reds or Red Sox. Because, again, color and article of clothing. People aren't neutron-star dense and are able to differentiate between ethnicities and literal colors that exist on the visible light spectrum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Absolutely amazing to see people get offended or upset at a team for considering the thoughts and feelings of a group of people whom we committed genocide against; as if these people have some innate attachment to the name Cleveland "Indians." Good on Cleveland; there's literally no reason to have an offensive team name; people who take pride in the offensive team name just confuse me.

• Like 13

I suppose I could be ignorant, but I just don't understand what the big deal is.

Changing the name of a team isn't going to educate people on the history of a race of people or deceptions about them. I don't see how changing a name solves anything other than fueling turmoil over identity politics. Is the name actually offensive? How?

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Absolutely amazing to see people get offended or upset at a team for considering the thoughts and feelings of a group of people whom we committed genocide against; as if these people have some innate attachment to the name Cleveland "Indians." Good on Cleveland; there's literally no reason to have an offensive team name; people who take pride in the offensive team name just confuse me.

Should the Blackhawks and fighting irish go?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm never surprised when I see a terrible take and then I look at the name. Is this a shtick or that a coincidence?

I'm not sure he's ever posted something that wasn't sarcasm, spam or attention-grabbing. Whether it's a shtick or a coincidence, the board would probably be better off without him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 4

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Should the Blackhawks and fighting irish go?

After reading the athletic piece last year, I'd say the Blackhawks should probably change the name. They profit off a name that most fans don't even know the true meaning behind. Teams shouldn't profit off people we tried to wipe off the face of the earth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I suppose I could be ignorant, but I just don't understand what the big deal is.

Changing the name of a team isn't going to educate people on the history of a race of people or deceptions about them. I don't see how changing a name solves anything other than fueling turmoil over identity politics. Is the name actually offensive? How?

Yes the name is offensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

After reading the athletic piece last year, I'd say the Blackhawks should probably change the name. They profit off a name that most fans don't even know the true meaning behind. Teams shouldn't profit off people we tried to wipe off the face of the earth. 

What is the true meaning of Blackhawks that you find offensive that the Native American community does not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

What is the true meaning of Blackhawks that you find offensive that the Native American community does not?

Well the native community very clearly said they were offended by it, and offended by them profiting off their culture which is why they cut ties with the organization.

None of this offends me, but I'm not native so my opinion on what's offensive is entirely irrelevant. All I can do is defer to the people who are. And that article laid out why they were offended and bothered. Im not gonna post all the reasons listed but the profiting and lack of education were two big ones. 

edit: here's the link. Long but good read. Covers both sides of the discussion.

https://theathletic.com/1888307/2020/06/25/is-it-time-for-the-chicago-blackhawks-to-drop-their-native-american-logo/

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Yes the name is offensive. 

Even if you don't find the name itself offensive there is no denying the racist intent behind the imagery they chose to associate with it.  As offensive as the most recent Chief Wahoo was it was actually significantly worse in the first half of the 1900s.  They can't claim to be "honoring" anyone when they use those cartoons as part of marketing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well the native community very clearly said they were offended by it, and offended by them profiting off their culture which is why they cut ties with the organization.

None of this offends me, but I'm not native so my opinion on what's offensive is entirely irrelevant. All I can do is defer to the people who are. And that article laid out why they were offended and bothered. Im not gonna post all the reasons listed but the profiting and lack of education were two big ones. 

edit: here's the link. Long but good read. Covers both sides of the discussion.

https://theathletic.com/1888307/2020/06/25/is-it-time-for-the-chicago-blackhawks-to-drop-their-native-american-logo/

Interesting. Last I heard the descendants/community for Chief Black Hawk was still approving of their use. I'm not able to read the article right now, but that must have changed I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Interesting. Last I heard the descendants/community for Chief Black Hawk was still approving of their use. I'm not able to read the article right now, but that must have changed I guess.

Yeah, younger people have taken over the movement and they don't people profiting off their culture. It was an interesting debate. 

There's actually been a real interesting push from the younger native group to hold the government accountable and get their land back in the dakotas and Oklahoma specifically. The young natives have been critical of some of the older natives for their "participation of their exploitation."

That's a different discussion but my take away is if they're bothered by the logo and profiting off their culture i see no reason to continue it going forward. Given that it means nothing to me beyond being a piece or clothing.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, younger people have taken over the movement and they don't people profiting off their culture. It was an interesting debate. 

There's actually been a real interesting push from the younger native group to hold the government accountable and get their land back in the dakotas and Oklahoma specifically. The young natives have been critical of some of the older natives for their "participation of their exploitation."

That's a different discussion but my take away is if they're bothered by the logo and profiting off their culture i see no reason to continue it going forward. Given that it means nothing to me beyond being a piece or clothing.

I'm a huge Blackhawks fan and I couldn't care less if they change to a bird logo. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

mad respect for them doing this. getting rid of the wahoo was the biggest thing, but glad to see this. I would like them to go with something that still respects a local or historical tribe...but I bet they tie into the rock n roll hall of fame some how. 

The Cleveland Rocks ? Too confusing with the Rox. I'm betting against a tie in with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.