Indians will be no more

southsider2k5

We’re not talking about the Guardians, the Fighting Walleyes, the Blue or Green Sox, the Midges, the Spiders or the Cleveland Baseball Team. Any connection to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame – Rocks, Rock Stars, North Coast Rockers – has been disallowed as well.

We’re not even talking about jewels such as the Cleveland Rock-a-Fellers. Think about that, one name covers the Rock Hall, Hall of Famer Bob Feller and former Cleveland millionaire John D. Rockefeller. That took some doing, but that ground has been turned over more than once.

City on the lake: Belters (after the Rust Belt and the home runs they hopefully hit, and not from The Expanse/Sci-Fi Network), Centrals (best location in the nation), Rapids (as in RTA), Municipals and Native Sons (not to be confused with James Baldwin novel).

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/10/some-new-suggestions-to-rename-the-cleveland-indians-the-week-in-baseball.html

18 different categories of names listed, majority are pretty darned awful

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm a huge Blackhawks fan and I couldn't care less if they change to a bird logo. 

The Chicago Birdhawks perhaps? Still get the "B" name. They can use that sweet bird logo they have. 

Any proposed name change or nickname must be approved by @ChiliIrishHammock24, so I will defer to him for the final verdict.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Should the Blackhawks and fighting irish go?

It's like the episode of community where they try to pick a mascot that doesn't offend anyone and they go with the Greendale Human Beings.

People must be absolutely braindead to think that a team picks a mascot to ridicule or demean what's represented by the mascot.  

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, younger people have taken over the movement and they don't people profiting off their culture. It was an interesting debate. 

There's actually been a real interesting push from the younger native group to hold the government accountable and get their land back in the dakotas and Oklahoma specifically. The young natives have been critical of some of the older natives for their "participation of their exploitation."

That's a different discussion but my take away is if they're bothered by the logo and profiting off their culture i see no reason to continue it going forward. Given that it means nothing to me beyond being a piece or clothing.

What they're really mad about is the teams making any sort of profit and not giving it to them.  Young people unfortunately are morons and I say that as a millennial.  They'll push to get teams to change their names, the teams will still make the same if not greater profit, and the only outcome will be native culture completely separating and being forgotten by larger American culture.  Being a fan of the Blackhawks and Illini, that fandom introduced me to the history of indians in the midwest, that frankly without being a fan of those teams I would otherwise know nothing about.  By separating native american culture from mainstream American culture, the only inevitable outcome is it being forgotten.  

Edited by ChiSox1917

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

We’re not talking about the Guardians, the Fighting Walleyes, the Blue or Green Sox, the Midges, the Spiders or the Cleveland Baseball Team. Any connection to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame – Rocks, Rock Stars, North Coast Rockers – has been disallowed as well.

We’re not even talking about jewels such as the Cleveland Rock-a-Fellers. Think about that, one name covers the Rock Hall, Hall of Famer Bob Feller and former Cleveland millionaire John D. Rockefeller. That took some doing, but that ground has been turned over more than once.

City on the lake: Belters (after the Rust Belt and the home runs they hopefully hit, and not from The Expanse/Sci-Fi Network), Centrals (best location in the nation), Rapids (as in RTA), Municipals and Native Sons (not to be confused with James Baldwin novel).

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/10/some-new-suggestions-to-rename-the-cleveland-indians-the-week-in-baseball.html

18 different categories of names listed, majority are pretty darned awful

I hope they go with the Martians, and in 100 years are forced to change their name again when concerned alien rights groups start petitions saying the name is offensive to extraterrestrial life forms

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In large part because of their SP, I think a good name would be the "Thoroughbreds" or "Stallions" or "Horses," etc.

On that list, "Cowboys" is okay.  "Belters" seems not bad  to me.  "Spiders" sounds dumb though.  "Widowmakers" is a cooler name, or some specific species native to the area.

I think the "Lakers" is just fine, even though there is a basketball team called that.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I hope they go with the Martians, and in 100 years are forced to change their name again when concerned alien rights groups start petitions saying the name is offensive to extraterrestrial life forms

Considering that Mars is on another planet and nowhere near Cleveland, I'm not sure how anyone would think that's a good idea.  Maybe they were looking at all of those desolate craters and thought the scenery reminded them of Cleveland.  Still bad idea though.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

mad respect for them doing this. getting rid of the wahoo was the biggest thing, but glad to see this. I would like them to go with something that still respects a local or historical tribe...but I bet they tie into the rock n roll hall of fame some how. 

There already is souvenir gear for the Cleveland Caucasians. Cleveland Rockers might conflict with Rockies. Cleveland Spiders would be the traditional choice. It should be submitted to the fans via multiple choice. 

7 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

What they're really mad about is the teams making any sort of profit and not giving it to them.  Young people unfortunately are morons and I say that as a millennial.  They'll push to get teams to change their names, the teams will still make the same if not greater profit, and the only outcome will be native culture completely separating and being forgotten by larger American culture.  Being a fan of the Blackhawks and Illini, that fandom introduced me to the history of indians in the midwest, that frankly without being a fan of those teams I would otherwise know nothing about.  By separating native american culture from mainstream American culture, the only inevitable outcome is it being forgotten.  

Tell me why the blackhawks are named the Blackhawks since you've become so educated on native Americans due that lol 

You ever think maybe we should be taught about what really happened to natives in school instead of, you know, through professional sports caricatures?

12 hours ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

No because context matters. The Blackhawks isn't a pejorative and had the endorsement of actual native Americans. 

Actual Native Americans have never had a problem with any of these team names.  In fact, many have indicated that they feel honored by them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

This has nothing to do with appeasing Native Americans and everything to do with appeasing silly white liberals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Actual Native Americans have never had a problem with any of these team names.  In fact, many have indicated that they feel honored by them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

This has nothing to do with appeasing Native Americans and everything to do with appeasing silly white liberals.

Nail meet hammer.