Do the sox even have another need?

Dominikk85

I would say their roster is pretty complete except for another good reliever or two.

Rotation:

Giolito, keuchel, lynn, two of kopech, cease, lopez, stiever

😄 grandal

1b:jose

2b: madrigal

3b: moncada

ss: timmy

CF: robert

Lf: eloy

Rf: eaton

Bench: engel, mendick, leury

DH: vaughn, Collins, yermin

I think they definitely need one more good reliever but other than that the team looks pretty great.

Sure the back end of the rotation is still a little thin and getting bauer would be great but it still could be a great rotation if kopech comes back decently.

Edited by Dominikk85

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They desperately need another starting pitcher.  You’ve only added one more guy in Kopech from last year, a year in which they ran out of gas at around the 50 game mark.

If they don’t add another decent starter, then they aren’t serious about competing next year.

A proven back-end reliever would also be nice.

23 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I would say their roster is pretty complete except for another good reliever or two.

Rotation:

Giolito, keuchel, lynn, two of kopech, cease, lopez, stiever

😄 grandal

1b:jose

2b: madrigal

3b: moncada

ss: timmy

CF: robert

Lf: eloy

Rf: eaton

Bench: engel, mendick, leury

DH: vaughn, Collins, yermin

I think they definitely need one more good reliever but other than that the team looks pretty great.

Sure the back end of the rotation is still a little thin and getting bauer would be great but it still could be a great rotation if kopech comes back decently.

Hard to argue.  This is easily a 90+ win team as is.  I think most people are hoping the Sox take it to that next level of “fuck you, the trophy doesn’t get handed out this decade without our say so”.   That’s Bauer and Hendricks.   

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Im worried we're gonna be in for a bit of a rude awakening next year when we have to play teams that don't just play in the central. 

I also am afraid of when the Sox have to match up with the Mariners, Rangers and Orioles.  

But give me more pitching.  Starter, and a reliever or two.  I certainly wouldn't be against a more proven commodity at DH either.  

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I also am afraid of when the Sox have to match up with the Mariners, Rangers and Orioles.  

But give me more pitching.  Starter, and a reliever or two.  I certainly wouldn't be against a more proven commodity at DH either.  

Ha, I actually think the m's could surprise next year. 

Don't forget the mighty red Sox!

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Im worried we're gonna be in for a bit of a rude awakening next year when we have to play teams that don't just play in the central. 

I've wondered about this too, but I don't think it'll be a rude awakening. Comparing 2021 to 2020, I expect the schedule to be harder but the team to be better. I expect improvements from Moncada, Robert, RF, and DH.  Our rotation will also be stronger. 

Sure, Abreu is likely to decline a little. But overall, I expect the team to be better.

• Like 1

We for sure need another SP. We can't go in depending on anyone post Gio DK Lynn.

Id love Richards or Klueber 

I'll take Q Odorizzi etc

Need another BP piece. Hopefully a closer to keep rest of squad as is.

Arguable if we need a DH. If we sign a sp and closer in ok with our current DH options. 

• Like 1

It would be better if Mendick were a AAAA player and replaced with a superior player/bat. Leury can handle backing up the infield until injury strikes. No room for Yermin there either. Assuming a 13 man pitching staff that leaves four bench spots. Engel, Leury, Collins and preferably a yet to be acquired left hand bat

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I've wondered about this too, but I don't think it'll be a rude awakening. Comparing 2021 to 2020, I expect the schedule to be harder but the team to be better. I expect improvements from Moncada, Robert, RF, and DH.  Our rotation will also be stronger. 

Sure, Abreu is likely to decline a little. But overall, I expect the team to be better.

I hope so; my concern mostly lies with the pitching staff. The AL Central pitching staffs weren't below league average - I'd argue that Cleveland pushed them upwards. 

The AL Central offenses last year were bad; the best offense was the White Sox, who obviously our pitchers didn't have to face. Cleveland had arguably the worst offense in baseball, Detroit and KC - we know what they were - and the Twins offense took a big step back. 

I worry about what the pitching does in general vs the entire league. Keuchel isn't as good as he was last year - at least not at this point in his career - and Cease was about the luckiest pitcher on earth last year. I think Giolito will be fine because he can shove vs anyone anytime, and Lynn will likely be solid. 

The Sox pitching concerns were hidden by a weak division offensively last year, and they really haven't done much to advance the staff.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I hope so; my concern mostly lies with the pitching staff. The AL Central pitching staffs weren't below league average - I'd argue that Cleveland pushed them upwards. 

The AL offenses last year were bad; the best offense was the White Sox, who obviously our pitchers didn't have to face. Cleveland had arguably the worst offense in baseball, Detroit and KC - we know what they were - and the Twins offense took a big step back. 

I worry about what the pitching does in general vs the entire league. Keuchel wasn't as good as he was last year - at least not at this point in his career - and Cease was about the luckiest pitcher on earth last year. I think Giolito will be fine because he can shove vs anyone anytime, and Lynn will likely be solid. 

The Sox pitching concerns were hidden by a weak divisions offensively last year, and they really haven't done much to advance the staff.

NL Central offenses were garbage as well

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

NL Central offenses were garbage as well

Yeah, that as well. In general the Sox staff wasn't challenged last year. This year will be an entirely different world. Also, we mashed a lot of garbage last year if we're being honest with ourselves but the good news is there's still a lot of garbage out there.

They absolutely need another SP.

People need to stop mentioning Kopech as a rotation option at this point. Dude is a wild card and may need extended time in Charlotte to break the rust off. Can anyone name another SP that missed 2 seasons while coming off an injury and was a reliable 150+ IP option for a playoff team?

Plus with the season most likely being closer to normal length, we have no idea how a shortened season will affect some of these guys. Load up on another MLB option and grab a guy with experience for Charlotte. More arms the better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They absolutely need another SP.

People need to stop mentioning Kopech as a rotation option at this point. Dude is a wild card and may need extended time in Charlotte to break the rust off. Can anyone name another SP that missed 2 seasons while coming off an injury and was a reliable 150+ IP option for a playoff team?

Plus with the season most likely being closer to normal length, we have no idea how a shortened season will affect some of these guys. Load up on another MLB option and grab a guy with experience for Charlotte. More arms the better.

Yeah, I'd feel better with two more. This season is going to be a weird one; hopefully these guys have a full normal lead up, otherwise I'm worried we'll see even more injuries than we saw in the shortened season.

• Like 1