Do the sox even have another need?

Dominikk85

In an ideal world we would add a veteran LH SP, a LH OF and a top shelf closer. This would balance out our starters (2 LH, 3 RH) and give us flexibility in our lineup as well as defensively. What may happen is that we will add Quintana (fills the LH SP), probably not get Hendriks and bring back Colome, and then not get the LH OF but instead sign Tommy La Stella (who I personally like) to be a LH DH and/or start the year at 2B depending on Madrigal's recovery.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Especially with pitching injuries/fatigue expected to increase due to the awkward 2020 season.

This is the only factor that needs consideration. You need more pitching.

Right now the Sox have:

Proven starters: Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn

High upside, past injury concerns, low inning totals: Kopech, Cease, Crochet

Who the hells know: Lopez

Young guys on 40-man: Lambert, Stiever, Flores, Vargas

After that top three it's a hell of a lot of wild cards.

• Like 1

If we are serious about winning a title next year, then we need one player from each group.

Group A- Paxton/Kluber/Richards/Q

Group B- Hendriks/Rosenthal

Group C- Pederson/Schwarber/any lefty power DH type

These moves make us the ALC favorite and a serious championship contender. Our schedule last year was soft and we beat down the bad teams and struggled against the decent and good teams. We also have to remember other teams in the league will get better for sure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we are serious about winning a title next year, then we need one player from each group.

Group A- Paxton/Kluber/Richards/Q

Group B- Hendriks/Rosenthal

Group C- Pederson/Schwarber/any lefty power DH type

These moves make us the ALC favorite and a serious championship contender. Our schedule last year was soft and we beat down the bad teams and struggled against the decent and good teams. We also have to remember other teams in the league will get better for sure. 

If we were going someone besides Hendriks I think it should be Kirby Yates.

Trevor Rosenthal has proven enough throughout his career that if the situation actually matters, he will fold. The walks are just unacceptable when things start mattering.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

A lefty bat would be good but I would prefer an outfielder because you have vaughn and eloy also can use some days at DH when he is banged up again.

So better get an OF who can DH occasionally instead of creating a DH logjam.

While I agree completely, the Sox gave Leury 3.5 million seemingly to be this guy.

• Like 1

They absolutely need to add. They're still not good enough to consistently make deep postseason runs. Standing pat puts WAY too much pressure on the young pitchers and hitters to be better than last year. That's a recipe for a hot streak/cold streak team, and if they happen to be on a cold streak going into the postseason then we'll see more of what we saw this past season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, almagest said:

They absolutely need to add. They're still not good enough to consistently make deep postseason runs. Standing pat puts WAY too much pressure on the young pitchers and hitters to be better than last year. That's a recipe for a hot streak/cold streak team, and if they happen to be on a cold streak going into the postseason then we'll see more of what we saw this past season.

Tell this to JR.

8 minutes ago, almagest said:

Twins fans should be quite happy with the Sox offseason so far. Sox had a chance to put together a super team.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Twins fans should be quite happy with the Sox offseason so far. Sox had a chance to put together a super team.

Well, then every team should be happy with their rivals’ offseasons so far.  It’s December 14, and nobody has done much of anything.  Actually, the Twins are probably less happy than most, since the Sox have done more to upgrade than most.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Well, then every team should be happy with their rivals’ offseasons so far.  It’s December 14, and nobody has done much of anything.  Actually, the Twins are probably less happy than most, since the Sox have done more to upgrade than most.

The Sox have done more to upgrade so far, but there's a lot of offseason left with a number of good players left, and the Sox have seemingly taken themselves out of the running for the biggest impact players.

12 minutes ago, Slobber House said:

I can't believe everyone keeps pencilling in this Vaughan kid, who has never played Major League Baseball, as our DH. Yes, he could be a stud right out of the gate, but we've all seen the exact opposite happen to guys who are rushed to the Bigs more often than not. He needs a full year in the minors at least.

I think there is a large underselling to the experience that Vaughn got last year in the talent he played against and coaching he DID get.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think there is a large underselling to the experience that Vaughn got last year in the talent he played against and coaching he DID get.

I also think Vaughn will be ready but I think the alternate site thing gets overrated.

Longenhagen said alternate site is pretty useless for hitters because hitters see the same pitchers over and over again and also pitchers would be afraid to throw inside to top prospects (fear of hurting them).

It is better than sitting around or just hitting in the cage but not comparable to game experience.

47 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We could have left behind the Twins and soon to be former Indians.  But we haven't.  They should be thrilled.

Sure - we could have signed every top-market free agent at every position of need during the very first weeks of the offseason.  The Twins could have done that, too, as could any team.  There's nothing uniquely "bad" about the Sox offseason so far that it should have rivals celebrating, especially since it's still incomplete.  Let's just let things play out before we start calling the whole offseason a failure two weeks before Xmas.

4 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I also think Vaughn will be ready but I think the alternate site thing gets overrated.

Longenhagen said alternate site is pretty useless for hitters because hitters see the same pitchers over and over again and also pitchers would be afraid to throw inside to top prospects (fear of hurting them).

It is better than sitting around or just hitting in the cage but not comparable to game experience.

They also only went against the best of the best on a daily basis.  All of the back end and truly bad A, AA, and AAA pitchers that Vaughn would have seen if he had been playing against the normal minor leaguers, he didn't see.  He didn't get the benefit of seeing the last guy in the bullpen of a A  ball team for an AB during this entire experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slobber House said:

I can't believe everyone keeps pencilling in this Vaughan kid, who has never played Major League Baseball, as our DH. Yes, he could be a stud right out of the gate, but we've all seen the exact opposite happen to guys who are rushed to the Bigs more often than not. He needs a full year in the minors at least.

I don’t understand how so many people spell “Vaughn” wrong.

Edited by Chicago White Sox