Do the sox even have another need?

Dominikk85

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we are serious about winning a title next year, then we need one player from each group.

Group A- Paxton/Kluber/Richards/Q

Group B- Hendriks/Rosenthal

Group C- Pederson/Schwarber/any lefty power DH type

These moves make us the ALC favorite and a serious championship contender. Our schedule last year was soft and we beat down the bad teams and struggled against the decent and good teams. We also have to remember other teams in the league will get better for sure. 

I like this way of thinking about it, though I might expand Group B a bit.  This team still has the potential to pull off a really good offseason that will make them a contending team, even if it's not the exact offseason I'd choose if it were up to me. 

The good news that I think some posters lose sight of is that the Sox are a really strong team on a steep upward trajectory, and all these arguments are about topics in the "good problems to have" category.  For so long we were arguing over how to find pieces that, if all went perfectly, might magically fill gaping holes keeping us from being even a fringe playoff contender.  Whatever happens this offseason I resolve to maintain a baseline level of excitement that matches the high quality of the team.  This board, however, seems to have a level of gestalt misery that matches the dark days of Drake Laroche.  I don't get that.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I like this way of thinking about it, though I might expand Group B a bit.  This team still has the potential to pull off a really good offseason that will make them a contending team, even if it's not the exact offseason I'd choose if it were up to me. 

The good news that I think some posters lose sight of is that the Sox are a really strong team on a steep upward trajectory, and all these arguments are about topics in the "good problems to have" category.  For so long we were arguing over how to find pieces that, if all went perfectly, might magically fill gaping holes keeping us from being even a fringe playoff contender.  Whatever happens this offseason I resolve to maintain a baseline level of excitement that matches the high quality of the team.  This board, however, seems to have a level of gestalt misery that matches the dark days of Drake Laroche.  I don't get that.

Your post was almost perfect. 

In all seriousness though you are correct. We are on the upswing and can finally sign free agents without needing them to be great. We need to bring in as much talent as we can to slump proof our team. All you can ask for is making the playoffs and then taking your chances against the best. I even like the idea of having a Hall of Fame manager that has coached in a lot of World Series' and playoff games. 

• Like 2

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Your post was almost perfect. 

In all seriousness though you are correct. We are on the upswing and can finally sign free agents without needing them to be great. We need to bring in as much talent as we can to slump proof our team. All you can ask for is making the playoffs and then taking your chances against the best. I even like the idea of having a Hall of Fame manager that has coached in a lot of World Series' and playoff games. 

You were a Drake Laroche fan, were you?  🤣  Say what you want, I'd run through a wall for that kid.

• Thanks 1

This is still probably the #2 team in the AL in my opinion.  However, the bullpen still worries me a little with so much reliance on the young guys.  I'd love to sign a top flight RP.. Our backend also makes me nervous to to youth and inning limit restrictions.  For the same reason, I'd like some vet to help fill in who can also shift to the BP when Kopech is back.  Having a OF/DH on a small deal would also be advantageous until Vaughn comes back.  If we hit on these 3 well, we could be the AL favorites without much exaggerating

39 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Current needs:

• Closer
  • Legitimate Starting RF
  • Legitimate Starting LF (Eloy to DH)
  • Legitimate Backup Catcher
  • Legitimate 21st Century Manager
  • New Owner

Current wants:

• 1 or 2 more starters

I am OK with Leury Garcia being our primary back up OF.  He is a borderline second division starter/top bench bat in his own right.  You also have a legit gold glove level defender in Adam Engel to use as a glove guy off of the bench as well.  I would have definitely liked to see a better starting OF, but I am very satisfied in our depth there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm definitely not miserable. I see the Sox being a very good team and it's exciting. What concerns me is they're relying a lot on unproven players (Madrigal, Robert, Collins/Zavala/Mercedes, Kopech, Cease, Steiver, Lopez) and there's a lot of pressure on them to excel, otherwise this is probably a bubble playoff team and it's a year of the window wasted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I would say their roster is pretty complete except for another good reliever or two.

Rotation:

Giolito, keuchel, lynn, two of kopech, cease, lopez, stiever

😄 grandal

1b:jose

2b: madrigal

3b: moncada

ss: timmy

CF: robert

Lf: eloy

Rf: eaton

Bench: engel, mendick, leury

DH: vaughn, Collins, yermin

I think they definitely need one more good reliever but other than that the team looks pretty great.

Sure the back end of the rotation is still a little thin and getting bauer would be great but it still could be a great rotation if kopech comes back decently.

A resounding yes.

Kopech will be in the minors until at least June.  He isn't going to throw 150+ innings this year.  Stiever isn't ready.  And I sure as shit don't want to rely on Reynaldo for 15 starts.  

So yes, we do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Current needs:

• Closer
  • Legitimate Starting RF
  • Legitimate Starting LF (Eloy to DH)
  • Legitimate Backup Catcher
  • Legitimate 21st Century Manager
  • New Owner

Current wants:

• 1 or 2 more starters

While I’m with you in most here I will push back a little at LF.  Are you telling me Vaughn is now in the minors til 23 with no spot?  Jose isn’t going anywhere and Vaughn is 1B or DH.  Do we need a guy who can play some LF on a short deal?  Fine but not a huge concern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am OK with Leury Garcia being our primary back up OF.  He is a borderline second division starter/top bench bat in his own right.  You also have a legit gold glove level defender in Adam Engel to use as a glove guy off of the bench as well.  I would have definitely liked to see a better starting OF, but I am very satisfied in our depth there.

I’d have to disagree on Leury. Unless by second division starter you mean last place. He is a fairly good utility infielder, shouldn’t be starting any games in the outfield for a contending team.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I’m with you, Engel is more than capable of starting vs. LHP and a few dozen vs. RHP. I’m also fine with Garcia rotating between OF and IF and playing a significant number of games. 

I fear our manager will play Eaton regardless of performance and/or regularly against LHP. I hope Eaton performs well in a platoon role, may help keep him healthy as well, but he’ll pressure Tony to play him every day since he is playing for his next contract.

1 hour ago, Wisebri224 said:

While I’m with you in most here I will push back a little at LF.  Are you telling me Vaughn is now in the minors til 23 with no spot?  Jose isn’t going anywhere and Vaughn is 1B or DH.  Do we need a guy who can play some LF on a short deal?  Fine but not a huge concern.

Based on limited reporting / data from 2020, only the White Sox FO truly knows what their plans for Vaughn are in terms of a promotion and expected number of games in the ML.

If Vaughn is truly ready and can be expected to be promoted within the first few weeks, the roster configuration is what it is, though not ideal defensively or for Eloy’s health.

Overall the offense should again perform well, outside of considering a defense first backup catcher to help Grandal’s load, every available dollar should be spent on RP and or perhaps 1 more SP.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Im worried we're gonna be in for a bit of a rude awakening next year when we have to play teams that don't just play in the central. 

This was a team that beat up on crap teams and didn't win a lot against the better teams. What was our record against Clev and Minny again. Suddenly we pick up Lynn and Eaton and we are world beaters?  This is the biggest con job if that's the case.  If we had signed Bauer and/or Springer and added Hendricks sure the math says we improved quite a bit.  But as we are maybe we are in it at the end competing for the AL central our pitching however is not world series ready by any means. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is still probably the #2 team in the AL in my opinion.  However, the bullpen still worries me a little with so much reliance on the young guys.  I'd love to sign a top flight RP.. Our backend also makes me nervous to to youth and inning limit restrictions.  For the same reason, I'd like some vet to help fill in who can also shift to the BP when Kopech is back.  Having a OF/DH on a small deal would also be advantageous until Vaughn comes back.  If we hit on these 3 well, we could be the AL favorites without much exaggerating

Not that it matters but MLBN seems to be hyping the Sox as looming AL favorites. Maybe not quite there yet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This was a team that beat up on crap teams and didn't win a lot against the better teams. What was our record against Clev and Minny again. Suddenly we pick up Lynn and Eaton and we are world beaters?  This is the biggest con job if that's the case.  If we had signed Bauer and/or Springer and added Hendricks sure the math says we improved quite a bit.  But as we are maybe we are in it at the end competing for the AL central our pitching however is not world series ready by any means. 

I'm optimistic but I also am guarded, and I think people are setting themselves up for a big disappointment if they're buying into this team being the class of the AL as it currently stands.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Are the sox as currently constructed the favorites to win the AL next year? If no, then theres your answer.

we need pitching. Lots of pitching.  

Enough with the Trump Quote, Make the Sox Great Again, YES, Trump is Done as of today, we should not associate the Sox with someone who's officially done as of today. 

My wish list is Brantley and either Colome or Hendricks, prefer Hendricks. Vaughn  needs a year or at least until the trade deadline with the Barons. He's not hit above Class A ball to my knowledge. Another starter (innings eater preferred). Collins in my opinion, unless we can see him full time may become a bust.  Sevy or Yermin could handle a backup spot UNLESS they use Collins like we used McCann, so we don't burn out Grandal with catching 140 to 150 games and we don't sign a legit DH. Vaughn is definitely seen as  the air apparent to Abreu. Remember Sevy and Yermin are 27!!! no spring chickens and with the state and need for catching, nobody needs them or inquired about them. I had high hopes for Collins, he's 25 and this is a make or break year for him. Engel could play Left or Right and Eloy could DH also if we can't get Brantley.   

38 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Seriously, who we eying? Cuban? A-Fraud (God willing not)? Michael Jordan? Obama?

Theo Epstein President Managing Partner, backed by billionaires who aren't pinching pennies and clipping coupons at age 86. There is a lot of money out there willing to back this.