Do the sox even have another need?

Dominikk85

2 hours ago, almagest said:

I'm optimistic but I also am guarded, and I think people are setting themselves up for a big disappointment if they're buying into this team being the class of the AL as it currently stands.

Yeah, I still have them as the 4th best team in the AL as of today (depending on rest of off-season)  which leaves too much margin for actually missing the playoffs for my liking.

Las Vegas Westgate odds from last week:

2021 American League Pennant (teams under 10/1)

1. New York Yankees+275
  2. Tampa Bay Rays+575
  3. Chicago White Sox+650
  4. Minnesota Twins+700
  5. Oakland Athletics+825
  6. Houston Astros+900

2021 World Series (teams under 20/1)

1. Los Angeles Dodgers+425
  2. New York Yankees+550
  3. Atlanta Braves+1000
  4. Tampa Bay Rays+1200
  5. San Diego Padres+1300
  6. Chicago White Sox+1500
  7. Minnesota Twins+1500
  8. Houston Astros+1800
  9. New York Mets+1800
  10. Oakland Athletics+1800
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Las Vegas Westgate odds from last week:

2021 American League Pennant (teams under 10/1)

1. New York Yankees+275
  2. Tampa Bay Rays+575
  3. Chicago White Sox+650
  4. Minnesota Twins+700
  5. Oakland Athletics+825
  6. Houston Astros+900

2021 World Series (teams under 20/1)

1. Los Angeles Dodgers+425
  2. New York Yankees+550
  3. Atlanta Braves+1000
  4. Tampa Bay Rays+1200
  5. San Diego Padres+1300
  6. Chicago White Sox+1500
  7. Minnesota Twins+1500
  8. Houston Astros+1800
  9. New York Mets+1800
  10. Oakland Athletics+1800

Looks about right except I think the Yankees are a bit overrated there.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Behind Twins and Astros? How do you figure?

Because I have the twins and astros players being projected to be worth more than the White Sox. 

Sox could have taken the lead and been the favorite or second favorite in the AL, but they simply haven't yet. The race is pretty tight between the top 5 teams in the AL. Id argue the Angels are even in the mix but if they don't finally add some depth and get some production out of SP they'll be in trouble again. 

I'm not overly high on Keuchel next year, and sox have nothing at 4-5 right now. So their rotation is a concern. Position player wise sox are deep but they've still got non-gtees in RF and at 2B. Offensively luis isn't guaranteed next year but he'll be an impact player regardless which is nice. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Because I have the twins and astros players being projected to be worth more than the White Sox. 

Sox could have taken the lead and been the favorite or second favorite in the AL, but they simply haven't yet. The race is pretty tight between the top 5 teams in the AL. Id argue the Angels are even in the mix but if they don't finally add some depth and get some production out of SP they'll be in trouble again. 

I'm not overly high on Keuchel next year, and sox have nothing at 4-5 right now. So their rotation is a concern. Position player wise sox are deep but they've still got non-gtees in RF and at 2B. Offensively luis isn't guaranteed next year but he'll be an impact player regardless which is nice. 

Twins are going to bring in some solid players over the next few months. Talent level pretty even between the two teams.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Twins are going to bring in some solid players over the next few months. Talent level pretty even between the two teams.

Which is my concern.

I think the Twins and Yankees will get better over the next few weeks (Yankees will get who they want despite their posturing) and if the Sox made their big splash (Lynn), the projected win total isn't going to be moved much by a Hendriks move. 

I also think if the Angels. say, sign Bauer that they could basically put themselves on an even level. The A's and Rays will likely find value to make up for their losses. 

Twins, Yankees, Rays, Angels(longer shot), Oakland, and Astros are all teams that I think could be within 2 wins of the Sox projection wise which is a problem. Don't sleep on the Astros; they lose Springer, sure, but Tucker is going to get a full year and he's a stud. I think Whitely is one of the big surprises and break out stars in baseball next year, and the Astros lineup is every bit as good as the White Sox. If the Sox would have signed a viable RF'er, they'd have a little bit of a cushion heading into the rest of the off-season but we didn't so

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

The World Series futures market is not predictive.

When they release season win totals, those are usually more efficient predictors of team results than the publicly available projection systems though.

Bettings odds don’t equal actual odds. presumably there are far more people betting on a team like the Yankees so the house would lose far more if they won compared to a team like twins for example. If they had equal actual odds but Yankees had ten times more people betting on them they could offer more than twice the odds to twins bets and still come out ahead

Edited by Vulture

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Which is my concern.

I think the Twins and Yankees will get better over the next few weeks (Yankees will get who they want despite their posturing) and if the Sox made their big splash (Lynn), the projected win total isn't going to be moved much by a Hendriks move. 

I also think if the Angels. say, sign Bauer that they could basically put themselves on an even level. The A's and Rays will likely find value to make up for their losses. 

Twins, Yankees, Rays, Angels(longer shot), Oakland, and Astros are all teams that I think could be within 2 wins of the Sox projection wise which is a problem. Don't sleep on the Astros; they lose Springer, sure, but Tucker is going to get a full year and he's a stud. I think Whitely is one of the big surprises and break out stars in baseball next year, and the Astros lineup is every bit as good as the White Sox. If the Sox would have signed a viable RF'er, they'd have a little bit of a cushion heading into the rest of the off-season but we didn't so

Eaton is your prototypical playing not to lose pick instead of going for the win.  I’m sure others will disagree, but I’ve never trusted Hahn’s ability to put together the pieces for a WS contender via free agency. 

Edited by fathom
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Bettings odds don’t equal actual odds. presumably there are far more people betting on a team like the Yankees so the house would lose far more if they won compared to a team like twins for example. If they had equal actual odds but Yankees had ten times more people betting on them they could offer more than twice the odds to twins bets and still come out ahead

This is true for futures, because their hold is so high you cant really beat the market- especially with the time value of money too so futures do move on air and they also hedge in spots they're overly exposed.

The win totals market is better but still has its flaws due to false moves to even out the combined totals. 

The day to day game odds are pretty darn close to equal odds because of how much is invested and how much lower the hold is. Im talking about the closing line though not openers. No reputable book moves on air when dealing -110.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Lots of risk and plenty of question marks. Big focus on RF as oppty for improvement but easy to overlook positions manned by high profile players such as 3B (Moncada .225 avg/.705 OPS); CF (Robert .233 avg/.738 OPS) along with loss of McCann and his .896 OPS and defense/framing ability. Is it realistic to expect Abreu and Anderson to repeat their MVP type performances or for Jimenez to avoid doing real damage to protective netting let alone his teammates or himself. Will Giolito take the next step? Will Keuchel and/or Lynn regress? Lots to be optimistic about but lets not assume there aren't plenty of opportunities to improve this team.    

6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Just keep piling on the money.

Just looked it up. Between Pujols, Trout, Upton, and Rendon, they are paying those guys $118m combined next season lol

Has to be rough for the Angels knowing that they gave Pujols all that money, the Cardinals just kept on trucking while Pujols fell off.  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:03 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Which is my concern.

I think Sox fans for sure are betting on winning because of a weak division. This has been the notion since the rebuild started. The hope seems to be that the AL West and AL East beat each other up so much they don't have enough wins to overtake us. I prefer the being better than everyone else approach. I also don't think the Twins are going anywhere for 2 more years. And by then the Tigers could be back. This is why we must always try to get better and sign high quality talent to the team. 

Forget theTwins, Forget the Yankees and Angels. Forget about Bauer, hopefully he ends up in the NL. 

Hendricks, if he is the only signing is NOT the answer. If we put all our eggs in one basket and spend let's say 30 to 40 million on Hendricks we are not a complete team. 

we still need a DH/Outfielder, another starter in case Kopech/Lopez /Cease don't workout and a backup catcher. We have 2 catchers in the minors that are 27 years old and Collins who might be a bust. 

Odorizzi, Quintana, Morton, Tanaka just to name few and others are still out there.

A Brantley/Colome combo and a starter would be better than just Hendricks.

Would i love a Brantley/Hendricks combo instead?? Of course. 

With Brantley in left, you can DH Eloy and solve 2 problems.

Bullpen by comittee may be the alternative. Keep an eye out for a slleeper. Stiever. he may emerge by the All Star Break. 

The goal is not to be as good as Minnesota or Cleveland.

The goal is to be on par with the LA Dodgers. 

The White Sox have a ways to go before I would mentioned them in the same breath with the Dodgers.

Whether they get there under this ownership group is highly unlikely - the TLR hiring nonwithstanding.

It's gonna cost a lot of money to keep this team intact as they move into their prime.

I hope they're under affluent sportsmen type ownership by then.

Edited by GradMc