Owners would like to delay season until vaccine

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How can it be prevented by a vaccine that has no data - yet - showing that it prevents you from being contagious? I honestly feel like people aren't getting this part.

This is a new kind of vaccine that has never been developed before around RNA; as of now, there is no evidence that it prevents the spread of the virus. How would getting the vaccine help prevent the spread when there's no proof it actually prevents the spread?

That’s exactly why everyone inside a venue must have the vaccine.    If anyone is contagious (which may or may not be viable), this will prevent them from becoming Infected.    If they don’t have the vaccine and someone is contagious, a team would be allowing them to become infected by allowing them in the stadium.

6 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

They won’t do it themselves but you better believe every venue will do so.   First of all, most states will require them to do.    Secondly, no team will want to accept the liability of allowing people to get infected when it could be prevented.   Proof of vaccination will likely be required through 2022 or 2023 before this changes.

This is true.  I read an article a while back from one of the co-founders of Lollapalooza saying he does not expect large festivals to come back until 2022, stating "infinite liability" as one of the main reasons.  

Who knows what kind of lawsuits are going to start happening due to mass Covid exposure/infections from specific places, events, etc. 

5 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

That’s exactly why everyone inside a venue must have the vaccine.    If anyone is contagious (which may or may not be viable), this will prevent them from becoming Infected.    If they don’t have the vaccine and someone is contagious, a team would be allowing them to become infected by allowing them in the stadium.

What? 

As of now, all we know is that the vaccine helps fight the symptoms. No one is saying you will not get COVID if you take the vaccine. Neither companies have even tested that, and we have no idea if it's true. No studies show it even reduces the likelihood of getting covid (they didn't have enough time to test this)

As of today, just because you get the vaccine does not mean you cant get covid and spread it asymptomatically. Which makes requiring a vaccine to attend an event entirely meaningless. People who are vaccinated can possibly still give other people covid.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What? 

As of now, all we know is that the vaccine helps fight the symptoms. No one is saying you will not get COVID if you take the vaccine. Neither companies have even tested that, and we have no idea if it's true. No studies show it even reduces the likelihood of getting covid (they didn't have enough time to test this)

As of today, just because you get the vaccine does not mean you cant get covid and spread it asymptomatically. Which makes requiring a vaccine to attend an event entirely meaningless. People who are vaccinated can possibly still give other people covid.

Who died and made you Surgeon General?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd gladly accept COVID for the second time if I can sit in the stands.. Let me make that choice.

Good for you. Then you can give it to someone else who can give it to someone else who may die or have a limb amputated. But hey, you got to sit in the stands 3 or 4 months early.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 3

First, there is no way they will require vaccination. It would be almost impossible to monitor and enforce. Testing before you walk into the venue doesn't work either. See White House Superspreader Events.  It has to be a personal choice where hopefully most are responsible. You will just have to follow guidelines. I would imagine limited at the beginning with masks still mandatory. When a certain percentage of the local population is vaccinated, then they adjust the rules. But I would imagine they want at least some fans from the get go of the 2021 season and will delay it at least until they can do that.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Good for you. Then you can give it to someone else who can give it to someone else who may die or have a limb amputated. But hey, you got to sit in the stands 3 or 4 months early.

Yes, good for him. We think are months away from seeing what kind of baseball season we are going to have and under what conditions we will have it under. Regardless, i don't see how we can have large crowds for some time. That would plainly be irresponsible. Sitting in the stands isn't damned important.

6 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Who died and made you Surgeon General?

I've already posted the link to pfezier, Moderna and Fauci saying the exact thing; if you want to spread disinformation though, be my guest.

Here's other sources;

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/will-covid-vaccine-stop-people-from-spreading-virus-verify/65-980a9c42-2790-4658-96ff-26d144fc6bb8

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits/facts.html

"The goal of the vaccines is stop the spread of disease once the virus is inside the body. But whether an immunized person is no longer contagious is not known yet."

It's important for people to actually understand what the vaccine provably does; as of right now, it does not provably stop the people from getting the virus and potentially being contagious/spreading it to others. 

40 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Yeah and they’re spreading it around in the process. Look at all the cancelled games. Something like 20% of ncaa games. Contain measures in football and basketball have been a farce

I would say pro sports is doing a better job of keeping it from spreading than most of America... I could be wrong on that. 

Also, this is not about keeping people safe. This is about the bottom line for the owners. Just like it was last year. What does until vaccine mean? No spring training until everyone, including the fans gets it? What the owners will decide is whatever makes them the most money...

Are players guaranteed their full salary whether or not fans are in the stands, assuming they play 162 games? 

You know Jerry Reinsdorf is behind this shit (well, we don't. But I'd rather assume that because fuck him). Jerry loves punting seasons of contention so he can make more money. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Are players guaranteed their full salary whether or not fans are in the stands, assuming they play 162 games? 

You know Jerry Reinsdorf is behind this shit (well, we don't. But I'd rather assume that because fuck him). Jerry loves punting seasons of contention so he can make more money. 

Yes. that is almost certainly why there will be a delay in the season. There just won't be enough people vaccinated to allow 40,000 people in the stands on opening day, and if MLB starts knowingly letting unvaccinated people in there liability could easily increase compared to this year. 

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've already posted the link to pfezier, Moderna and Fauci saying the exact thing; if you want to spread disinformation though, be my guest.

Here's other sources;

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/will-covid-vaccine-stop-people-from-spreading-virus-verify/65-980a9c42-2790-4658-96ff-26d144fc6bb8

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits/facts.html

"The goal of the vaccines is stop the spread of disease once the virus is inside the body. But whether an immunized person is no longer contagious is not known yet."

It's important for people to actually understand what the vaccine provably does; as of right now, it does not provably stop the people from getting the virus and potentially being contagious/spreading it to others. 

Just so we stress this - you're hanging an awful lot on provably there. We can hope that it provides a sterilizing immunity, or at least limits transmission. We will know better within a couple months, including by spring trainings start, because people who are being vaccinated are also participating in survey testing. 

There is not strong evidence that it does provide sterilizing immunity, but there is also no strong evidence that it doesn't. The health crisis in this country is so bad right now that "we can save lives by demonstrating it is safe and effective" was priority #1, and long term survey testing studies are a lower priority but will still happen rapidly.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just so we stress this - you're hanging an awful lot on provably there. We can hope that it provides a sterilizing immunity, or at least limits transmission. We will know better within a couple months, including by spring trainings start, because people who are being vaccinated are also participating in survey testing. 

There is not strong evidence that it does provide sterilizing immunity, but there is also no strong evidence that it doesn't. The health crisis in this country is so bad right now that "we can save lives by demonstrating it is safe and effective" was priority #1, and long term survey testing studies are a lower priority but will still happen rapidly.

Yes, this is true and it's why I didn't put that it "does not prevent contagion" because we just don't know... at the same time, all we can go off of is what we do know and a lack of knowing is proof enough to hold off on proclaiming everyone has to be vaccinated to go out in public.

I'm also a bit concerned because the CDC and pharma companies have really pushed the narrative of social distancing and mask up into 2022 even with everyone vaccinated, which allows my cynical side to speculate that they have some data showing the opposite but that is entirely speculatory based on no facts or evidence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just so we stress this - you're hanging an awful lot on provably there. We can hope that it provides a sterilizing immunity, or at least limits transmission. 

As dear old dad used to say, hope in one hand and shit in the other. Then tell me which fills up first.

I need to dispel the JR myth here...because even though i hate him...read the actual article:

I think there will be significant pressure for players to get the vaccine first before they go to Spring Training, and if that has to be moved back to April and play 130 games, so be it,” an unnamed National League owner tells Nightengale."  

• Thanks 1

I know non-frontline people at hospitals slated for the vaccine in feb. That's with just pfizer so who knows how much moderna spreads it, but a pitchers and catchers report sounds unlikely if they want a vaccine for the players, but march isn't that unlikely.

30 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Owners will not play 162 and pay players full salaries without fans. Players have no incentive to play less than 162. The MLBPA wants regular spring training with the season to start on time. It's going to be a mess. 

Sounds like it's a negotiating ploy.  Owners still playing dirty pool with a pandemic.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Owners will not play 162 and pay players full salaries without fans. Players have no incentive to play less than 162. The MLBPA wants regular spring training with the season to start on time. It's going to be a mess. 

At this point I've just accepted they are going to bicker and fight and it will drag on through April or May until they agree on something and games start mid May or June. It sucks but it is what it is at this point. 

This whole thing is getting bizarre.

I got a phone call from a Ticket Rep of the Blackhawks in the middle of last week. He told me that the NHL is looking at a January 13th Opening Night, and that the Hawks are working with the NHL, City of Chicago and the United Center to begin allowing between 25%-50% stadium capacity in February. His exact quote was "and hopefully more as long as the vaccine doesn't stall". Due to the limited capacity, they aren't planning on selling any "single game tickets", just offering opportunities to STH's. Does anyone here have Blackhawks ST's to verify? At first, I was skeptical, due to him just wanting to get a sale. But when you look at some of the stuff going on at college basketball venues, it makes some sense.

Assuming that is true, how would we be good with 25%-50% indoors in February, but not 50% outdoors in April?