Owners would like to delay season until vaccine

southsider2k5

Everybody is getting too caught up in the public negotiations ... they purposely get this stuff out there. 

Boil it down:

Why would owners want a full season if for a portion of it they cant have any fans and lose money, when, if they wait 1-3 months they can have a path to maybe? full attendance? It's a business and they are making a business decision. They don't care we want to watch baseball, they have a bottom line they're responsible for and I don't blame them for that. 

The only way the season starts on time is if the cities these teams play in allow for attendance on a partial basis. That's not a MLB decision though - that's these Mayors and Governors. The likelihood of a Lightfoot reversing course & allowing in 25-50% of attendance are probably slim. If these owners can be cash flow and bottom line break even? then you probably see some ball being played.. outside of that? You get a delay for 1-3 months

So as I said sometime earlier on this board i would guess you see some sort of ST starting around the time the regular season would start ... the ST would be local like the Schaumburg setup... all intersquad games, maybe some Brewers, Cubs, Tigers, etc. etc. I wouldn't be suprised to see some attendance allowed during that time to get the protocols in place for fans. My best guess is that runs from first half of April through Mid-late May. June start with fans allowed in some capacity and with some protocols in place ..... aka maybe its a vaccine requirement? maybe its attendance restriction, maybe it's masks, maybe, maybe, maybe. Personal guess is we'll have about 100 games. 

Too many variables at this point to get caught up in what will happen, but I never really expected a full season, and still don't. 

11 minutes ago, QBBrian13 said:

This whole thing is getting bizarre.

I got a phone call from a Ticket Rep of the Blackhawks in the middle of last week. He told me that the NHL is looking at a January 13th Opening Night, and that the Hawks are working with the NHL, City of Chicago and the United Center to begin allowing between 25%-50% stadium capacity in February. His exact quote was "and hopefully more as long as the vaccine doesn't stall". Due to the limited capacity, they aren't planning on selling any "single game tickets", just offering opportunities to STH's. Does anyone here have Blackhawks ST's to verify? At first, I was skeptical, due to him just wanting to get a sale. But when you look at some of the stuff going on at college basketball venues, it makes some sense.

Assuming that is true, how would we be good with 25%-50% indoors in February, but not 50% outdoors in April?

Wirtz just wants another year of interest free use of your money. I’d say the chance of indoor stadiums reopening to fans in Chicago in February are close to nil.

In terms of baseball, the owners would prefer little to no regular season, since they pay the players relatively nothing in the playoffs and make increased revenue simultaneously.

I hope the players walk out in August or September in preparation for the CBA negotiations, and the WS is cancelled if the owners pull the same shit as last year and cancel a majority of the regular season. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the next WS is in 2023 between COVID and the CBA.

2 hours ago, Sambuca said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2020/11/18/tracking-your-vaccination-or-covid-19-status-may-be-way-to-attend-large-sporting-events-in-near-future/?sh=5b83b18b543d

Interesting article on this subject, including a ticket agency monster like Ticketmaster already developing a process to accomplish this.  

I know Ticketmaster started working towards this idea for concerts - a while back. I know someone on that side of the business, and many venues and bands have no income streams and just aren't going to make it if they can't get open, the major sports will make it. It is definitely an incentive to get people vaccinated. When people see an opportunity to start doing things they want, it will outweigh some of the crazy conspiracy theories. 

I do agree overall that the season should wait until the players get vaccinated and start the season later if necessary. It's going to take longer to work out how and when to get fans back, but if everyone puts their shit aside there are reasonable ways to safely play a slightly shorter season, and eventually get fans back. Not all of those things have to happen at the same time.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've already posted the link to pfezier, Moderna and Fauci saying the exact thing; if you want to spread disinformation though, be my guest.

Here's other sources;

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/will-covid-vaccine-stop-people-from-spreading-virus-verify/65-980a9c42-2790-4658-96ff-26d144fc6bb8

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits/facts.html

"The goal of the vaccines is stop the spread of disease once the virus is inside the body. But whether an immunized person is no longer contagious is not known yet."

It's important for people to actually understand what the vaccine provably does; as of right now, it does not provably stop the people from getting the virus and potentially being contagious/spreading it to others. 

Not sure how close you read it  but the CDC information is specifically discussing vaccines being researched in the US. I don't think the approved one falls under that category.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not sure how close you read it  but the CDC information is specifically discussing vaccines being researched in the US. I don't think the approved one falls under that category.

I linked the wrong cdc page, but i figured i don't need to update it because the other three articles i listed quoted fauci or the CDC so it was just duplicate information. That link is about the approved covis vaccines though, which is being discussed. This is the first line of the page "Now that there is an authorized and recommended COVID-19 vaccine in the United States, accurate vaccine information is critical."

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I linked the wrong cdc page, but i figured i don't need to update it because the other three articles i listed quoted fauci or the CDC so it was just duplicate information. That link is about the approved covis vaccines though, which is being discussed. This is the first line of the page "Now that there is an authorized and recommended COVID-19 vaccine in the United States, accurate vaccine information is critical."

All of the information states that it is unknown at this time. By the time fans would be going to the stadium, they will know.

There's obviously a deal to be made. It's in everyone's best interest to play as many games as possible, if the players aren't willing to agree to some revenue linked salary concessions then the first move on the part of the owners will be to limit games. One would hope there's a middle ground on the salary side that plays the most games possible. 

Edited by mac9001

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How can it be prevented by a vaccine that has no data - yet - showing that it prevents you from being contagious? I honestly feel like people aren't getting this part.

This is a new kind of vaccine that has never been developed before around RNA; as of now, there is no evidence that it prevents the spread of the virus. How would getting the vaccine help prevent the spread when there's no proof it actually prevents the spread?

There is no evidence that it prevents the spread of the virus because nobody has collected data on it, but it should be self-evident.

A virus makes someone sick by infecting their cells and replicating billions of times. The virus can't prevent someone from getting sick without preventing it from replicating billions of times in their cells.

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I don't blame them for wanting to wait. If the season starts say in July, the pandemic is probably starting to wind down and you have paying fans at the game. Everyone makes money then.

Why can other sports do just fine, but mlb can not? 

54 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Why can other sports do just fine, but mlb can not? 

Because the other leagues are capped. They are just going to hold the caps constant for multiple years (NBA) or even reduce them substantially next year (NFL) to make up for the losses this year.

10 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Everybody is getting too caught up in the public negotiations ... they purposely get this stuff out there. 

Boil it down:

Why would owners want a full season if for a portion of it they cant have any fans and lose money, when, if they wait 1-3 months they can have a path to maybe? full attendance? It's a business and they are making a business decision. They don't care we want to watch baseball, they have a bottom line they're responsible for and I don't blame them for that. 

The only way the season starts on time is if the cities these teams play in allow for attendance on a partial basis. That's not a MLB decision though - that's these Mayors and Governors. The likelihood of a Lightfoot reversing course & allowing in 25-50% of attendance are probably slim. If these owners can be cash flow and bottom line break even? then you probably see some ball being played.. outside of that? You get a delay for 1-3 months

So as I said sometime earlier on this board i would guess you see some sort of ST starting around the time the regular season would start ... the ST would be local like the Schaumburg setup... all intersquad games, maybe some Brewers, Cubs, Tigers, etc. etc. I wouldn't be suprised to see some attendance allowed during that time to get the protocols in place for fans. My best guess is that runs from first half of April through Mid-late May. June start with fans allowed in some capacity and with some protocols in place ..... aka maybe its a vaccine requirement? maybe its attendance restriction, maybe it's masks, maybe, maybe, maybe. Personal guess is we'll have about 100 games. 

Too many variables at this point to get caught up in what will happen, but I never really expected a full season, and still don't. 

Yeah it could be negotiation.

Maybe the owners will strive for something like first half of the season reduced player salaries to accommodate for the lost money and then when enough people are vaccinated players get full prorated salary for the games with full gate.

Players probably won't like that so I can see a compromise like a 120 game season at full prorated salary or so.

19 hours ago, QBBrian13 said:

This whole thing is getting bizarre.

I got a phone call from a Ticket Rep of the Blackhawks in the middle of last week. He told me that the NHL is looking at a January 13th Opening Night, and that the Hawks are working with the NHL, City of Chicago and the United Center to begin allowing between 25%-50% stadium capacity in February. His exact quote was "and hopefully more as long as the vaccine doesn't stall". Due to the limited capacity, they aren't planning on selling any "single game tickets", just offering opportunities to STH's. Does anyone here have Blackhawks ST's to verify? At first, I was skeptical, due to him just wanting to get a sale. But when you look at some of the stuff going on at college basketball venues, it makes some sense.

Assuming that is true, how would we be good with 25%-50% indoors in February, but not 50% outdoors in April?

I'm a ticket rep for the Avs. Rumors of 56 game season starting Jan 13 is the goal. The players and owners don't have an agreement on players wages yet though, which is why that hasn't been announced. Nothing is official yet, but it sounds like we will be starting the season without fans and if we are able to welcome a limited capacity at some point we will, but we by no means are trying to put a specific time on that like your Blackhawks Rep was saying with February. We are communicating that if you have a deposit placed for season tickets or a ticket package then you will get a pre-sale for single games if/when they become available. Any deposits placed for the 20-21 season will be rolled over to 21-22 unless you would prefer a refund.

• Thanks 1