Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Hahn was on Phillies interview list

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

Will JR even let him interview?

Wasn't KW a candidate for the top job in Toronto years ago but was forbidden by JR from interviewing?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superstar Lamar said:

the only way you get to leave JR is by firing or death

Why would someone leave? Job security is not an issue. He turned down many interviews when he wasn't the GM.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superstar Lamar said:

the only way you get to leave JR is by firing or death

It would be fascinating to learn what kind of relationship exists between Reinsdorf, WIlliams and Hahn.

If KW and Hahn leave, I think Reinsdorf would be screwed. I don't think an experienced executive would take the job so you know he'd give it to some younger person looking for a start in the business. And that means there would be a learning curve.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Why would someone leave? Job security is not an issue. He turned down many interviews when he wasn't the GM.

More power? Bigger payroll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

It would be fascinating to learn what kind of relationship exists between Reinsdorf, WIlliams and Hahn.

If KW and Hahn leave, I think Reinsdorf would be screwed. I don't think an experienced executive would take the job so you know he'd give it to some younger person looking for a start in the business. And that means there would be a learning curve.

He'd give it to TLR.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

More power? Bigger payroll?

I guess that may do it but it would be hard to leave with this type of job security. Plus he's shown in the past that he really wants to be here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Will JR even let him interview?

Wasn't KW a candidate for the top job in Toronto years ago but was forbidden by JR from interviewing?

Yes. Winter meetings time in 2014.

Edited by Saufley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I guess that may do it but it would be hard to leave with this type of job security. Plus he's shown in the past that he really wants to be here.

Yeah you're right, but man... Imagine being given the opportunity to be the head decision maker for a team with an owner who isn't afraid to spend $330 million on a free agent.

If the Phillies told Hahn that he has 5 years to make them a contender and he could do whatever he wanted in that 5 year window, that would have to be enticing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

It would be fascinating to learn what kind of relationship exists between Reinsdorf, WIlliams and Hahn.

If KW and Hahn leave, I think Reinsdorf would be screwed. I don't think an experienced executive would take the job so you know he'd give it to some younger person looking for a start in the business. And that means there would be a learning curve.

This is how the Bears operate.  They have to hire someone at GM who has to run all of football operations and they are cheap so said hired executive has no experience.  Bears President has zero football knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Yeah you're right, but man... Imagine being given the opportunity to be the head decision maker for a team with an owner who isn't afraid to spend $330 million on a free agent.

If the Phillies told Hahn that he has 5 years to make them a contender and he could do whatever he wanted in that 5 year window, that would have to be enticing.

Maybe Hahn isn't as leashed or upset with his job as everyone is speculating him to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Yeah you're right, but man... Imagine being given the opportunity to be the head decision maker for a team with an owner who isn't afraid to spend $330 million on a free agent.

If the Phillies told Hahn that he has 5 years to make them a contender and he could do whatever he wanted in that 5 year window, that would have to be enticing.

Yeah, but I'm not so sure that would be worth it. The Phillies have already spent a lot of money, but it may not show up in the record books. Atlanta and the Mets could be better for years to come no matter what Hahn would do. He could then be fired for not being better than them. He may not call all of the shots her but he also isn't getting big time blame. He is still here because he got a pass for the 7 years of failure, which probably doesn't happen anywhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Maybe Hahn isn't as leashed or upset with his job as everyone is speculating him to be?

I would change the word speculating, to wanting. This would cover the situation at hand with some fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If this is true it debunks how put off Hahn is to his lot in life with the Chicago White Sox.

How do you figure? Hahn is under contract; he would need permission to interview.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Yeah you're right, but man... Imagine being given the opportunity to be the head decision maker for a team with an owner who isn't afraid to spend $330 million on a free agent.

If the Phillies told Hahn that he has 5 years to make them a contender and he could do whatever he wanted in that 5 year window, that would have to be enticing.

Yeah but now that owner, after saying they had crazy money is looking to go on the cheap now. If he had crazy money we wouldn't be talking about Realmuto not signing immediately, the rumor of Wheeler being on the trading block wouldn't have happened. He's not the same owner as a Dodger or Yankees, so it's probably the same type of situation the Sox play with, as do 27 other teams! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Yeah but now that owner, after saying they had crazy money is looking to go on the cheap now. If he had crazy money we wouldn't be talking about Realmuto not signing immediately, the rumor of Wheeler being on the trading block wouldn't have happened. He's not the same owner as a Dodger or Yankees, so it's probably the same type of situation the Sox play with, as do 27 other teams! 

The Phillies spent 455 million on two players in the last two years.

The Sox biggest contract in their history was for 74 million.

The two are nothing alike.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How do you figure? Hahn is under contract; he would need permission to interview.

The report states he turned it down three times.  

Dombrowski and JR go as far back as JR and TLR and JR's boneheaded hiring of Hawk essentially fired both.

I would guess that Dombrowski approached JR prior to speaking to Hahn three times.

This could all be untrue but it could also debunk the Soxtalk ideology of the current state of the White Sox front office.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

The report states he turned it down three times.  

Dombrowski and JR go as far back as JR and TLR and JR's boneheaded hiring of Hawk essentially fired both.

I would guess that Dombrowski approached JR prior to speaking to Hahn three times.

This could all be untrue but it could also debunk the Soxtalk ideology of the current state of the White Sox front office.

 

 

I'm pretty sure it was Dombrowski who turned it down three times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The report states he turned it down three times.  

Dombrowski and JR go as far back as JR and TLR and JR's boneheaded hiring of Hawk essentially fired both.

I would guess that Dombrowski approached JR prior to speaking to Hahn three times.

This could all be untrue but it could also debunk the Soxtalk ideology of the current state of the White Sox front office.

 

 

I think you are misreading; Dombrowski turned down the offer three times. No where does it say that Hahn turned down anything.

I would doubt Jerry would grant Hahn permission to interview for a job while he was under contract; I can't recall him ever doing so in the past but I could be mistaken.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Phillies spent 455 million on two players in the last two years.

The Sox biggest contract in their history was for 74 million.

The two are nothing alike.

Nothing alike but the White Sox seem in a better position so I am not certain the White Sox are the one that erred and should be frowned upon.  This is especially true if the Phillies were at one time looking to move Wheeler.

If spending money on a player hampers your ability to improve moving forward it is debatable if that money is worth it for said player.

Hahn may look at the Sox and Phillies and while not happy with his current situation does not see the Phillies as an improved situation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Nothing alike but the White Sox seem in a better position so I am not certain the White Sox are the one that erred and should be frowned upon.  This is especially true if the Phillies were at one time looking to move Wheeler.

If spending money on a player hampers your ability to improve moving forward it is debatable if that money is worth it for said player.

Hahn may look at the Sox and Phillies and while not happy with his current situation does not see the Phillies as an improved situation.

 

I think the Phillies laying off 80 front office people during the pandemic is much more damning of them as a perspective incoming Director of Baseball Ops than their willingness to spend big money. 

I have been critical of Reinsdorf plenty, but the loyalty he showed to much of his team during the pandemic is commendable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How do you figure? Hahn is under contract; he would need permission to interview.

Sorry I misread the tweet.  I should go read the article.

In the NFL you can interview for a promotion not sure if the MLB is the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think the Phillies laying off 80 front office people during the pandemic is much more damning of them as a perspective incoming Director of Baseball Ops than their willingness to spend big money. 

I have been critical of Reinsdorf plenty, but the loyalty he showed to much of his team during the pandemic is commendable. 

Agreed

My point though is more to the idea that the big signing free agents may be detrimental in the end.  If COVID is playing the part in Phillie than my rationale is not debunked here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×