2021 Plan for Kopech and Crochet

SoxBlanco

1 hour ago, flavum said:

I'm going 6-man until May 11. If not 6-man, 6 day.  First 40 games, 7 starts for Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, and Cease; 6 starts for Lopez and Rodon. Then Game 41-43 vs Twins is Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn. At least that would be the plan until weather/injuries changes it. Then Kopech gets in there when he earns it or somebody gets hurt, traded, etc. 

You want to go with a six man rotation when we have six off-days in our first 40 games and the likelihood of a few rainouts?  Finding reasons to give both Rodon & Lopez starts at the same time seems like a good way to dig ourselves a hole to start the season.  I’d much rather skip the fifth starter spot altogether on off-days and just limit our top four starters to shorter starts over the first six weeks.  That seems like the better plan of attack if you believe our bullpen is the real deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You want to go with a six man rotation when we have six off-days in our first 40 games and the likelihood of a few rainouts?  Finding reasons to give both Rodon & Lopez starts at the same time seems like a good way to dig ourselves a hole to start the season.  I’d much rather skip the fifth starter spot altogether on off-days and just limit our top four starters to shorter starts over the first six weeks.  That seems like the better plan of attack if you believe our bullpen is the real deal.

Long season, coming off a 60-game season. I'd rather ease in, see who stands out,

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

Long season, coming off a 60-game season. I'd rather ease in, see who stands out,

I don’t like the idea of guys pitching on six days rest that frequently on top of giving 30% of our first 40 starts to Rodon & Lopez.  With only five playoff teams there needs to be a greater sense of urgency than that IMO.

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'd skip the 5th spot when there's an off-day too.  Looks like you'll need that 5th guy three times in April unless the weather comes into play.  If you want to get him (Rodon?) some work just use him in a long man fashion as that'll lessen the need to use Lopez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roto said:

I'd skip the 5th spot when there's an off-day too.  Looks like you'll need that 5th guy three times in April unless the weather comes into play.  If you want to get him (Rodon?) some work just use him in a long man fashion as that'll lessen the need to use Lopez.

I always say this in reply - I hate using Mr. offday as the 5th starter in a normal year more than a couple times all year. This year, coming off a season where guys' innings and arm work went completely haywire, you should really want to keep a 5 man rotation and give your starters the extra day of rest. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t like the idea of guys pitching on six days rest that frequently on top of giving 30% of our first 40 starts to Rodon & Lopez.  With only five playoff teams there needs to be a greater sense of urgency than that IMO.

It's ok. The likelihood of Rodon actually being healthy enough to pitch is low.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why the fuck are we bending over backwards to pencil in some Rodon starts? He's on a middle relief salary and has a middle relief arm.  Come on.

Cause this team failed to address the SP depth and sign someone they could plug into the 5th starter role to be a bridge for Kopech. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I always say this in reply - I hate using Mr. offday as the 5th starter in a normal year more than a couple times all year. This year, coming off a season where guys' innings and arm work went completely haywire, you should really want to keep a 5 man rotation and give your starters the extra day of rest. 

I've got Rodon down for 200 innings ;) Not many guys do that anymore. The trend is obvious. 

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I would think this is the last opportunity for Rodon and Lopez. If they don’t produce this year they are gone. They have been given plenty of chances. 

If 2020 wasn't the last opportunity for Rodon, then there will always be a chance. What are the odds the White Sox will be looking for very cheap starting pitching next offseason? Seems pretty high.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If 2020 wasn't the last opportunity for Rodon, then there will always be a chance. What are the odds the White Sox will be looking for very cheap starting pitching next offseason? Seems pretty high.

For sure!  Also, I'd be shocked if the Sox didn't pick up a good cheap SP before the trade deadline. They have plenty of reserve cash. There are about 65 SP's who will be FA's after this season; many on sellers by that time.  They'll have a good idea where Kopech stands for shutdown.  If need be, maybe go with a 6 man rotation until he's done.  Probably be some DH's scheduled in Aug & Sept by then.  And have another quality SP for playoffs.

20 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Cause this team failed to address the SP depth and sign someone they could plug into the 5th starter role to be a bridge for Kopech. 

I can't figure out why this FO hasn''t addressed this.  We are going to need innings even when Kopech is ready.  I know I've been hammering on this but Mike Leake is still out there.  He'd cost minimal money, has no injury history,  makes all of his scheduled starts, and might keep Matt Tomshaw in the minors where he belongs.

22 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Good point.  Try to keep them fresh for late summer.  Maybe the plan is to use Crochet as an opener to Rodon (or more likely the other way around) for a few of those fifth starter starts as it seems the Sox are hell bent on putting Crochet in the pen this year.