2021 Plan for Kopech and Crochet

SoxBlanco

54 minutes ago, flavum said:

This may be its own topic, but should Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn prepare for 33 starts and 215 innings, and let everyone else fill in the gaps? We know Lynn wants the ball. I’ve heard Giolito say he wants to make all of starts and go 200 innings because he threw throughout the shutdown. Personally, I’d probably think 31 starts and around 190 innings is good, but if the Big 3 wants to sack up like it’s a regular season, I’d be all for it. 

You could put that as a goal but I seriously doubt they all make it.

The concept of starting the year with Kopech and Crochet, as a tandem, in the #5 slot of the starting rotation, is very intriguing. They could go 3 innings each, with a conservative pitch count, to get to the 7TH inning, when they would turn it over to the pen. As they both gain strength and stamina, their load could be expanded to 4 innings each. They could even get to the point of being able to go as far as 5 or 6 innings, late in the season. If one of them emerged as a very strong and effective starter, he could be used in the Post Season rotation, while the other went to bolster the pen, or they could simply continue to function as a tandem team. That kind of decision would also depend upon how the other starters were doing, in terms of both health and effectiveness.

For those concerned about service time, why not begin this regimen at Charlotte, and continue it when they're brought to Chicago? In any case, those two fireballers could end up being the most effective part of the starting rotation, and out of the #5 slot. Wouldn't this approach be more effective as a method of achieving the ultimate goal of making starters out of both Crochet and Kopech, than throwing short relief stints? Moreover, the pen is already a team strength and doesn't need either of those arms, as much as the rotation does. It's certainly a very intriguing idea. What team would want to face a righty, lefty tandem, both throwing triple digits?

34 minutes ago, Lillian said:
The concept of starting the year with Kopech and Crochet, as a tandem, in the #5 slot of the starting rotation, is very intriguing. They could go 3 innings each, with a conservative pitch count, to get to the 7TH inning, when they would turn it over to the pen. As they both gain strength and stamina, their load could be expanded to 4 innings each. They could even get to the point of being able to go as far as 5 or 6 innings, late in the season. If one of them emerged as a very strong and effective starter, he could be used in the Post Season rotation, while the other went to bolster the pen, or they could simply continue to function as a tandem team. That kind of decision would also depend upon how the other starters were doing, in terms of both health and effectiveness.

For those concerned about service time, why not begin this regimen at Charlotte, and continue it when they're brought to Chicago? In any case, those two fireballers could end up being the most effective part of the starting rotation, and out of the #5 slot. Wouldn't this approach be more effective as a method of achieving the ultimate goal of making starters out of both Crochet and Kopech, than throwing short relief stints? Moreover, the pen is already a team strength and doesn't need either of those arms, as much as the rotation does. It's certainly a very intriguing idea. What team would want to face a righty, lefty tandem, both throwing triple digits?

I love it, actually.  Too lazy to do the math on the innings, but with the number of times the fifth starter is skipped I suspect it would work out.

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

Glad to see you are still around. As far as I know you are the lone female representative that posts on Sox Talk.

I'm a bit skeptical that the pen is a strength because some emerged during the short season and against weak competition. Kopech and Crochet are likely viewed as hedges against the other young relievers experiencing the highs and low of a longer season, stronger opponents and the very nature of the year to year travails of relief pitching in general.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:55 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Glad to see you are still around. As far as I know you are the lone female representative that posts on Sox Talk.

I'm a bit skeptical that the pen is a strength because some emerged during the short season and against weak competition. Kopech and Crochet are likely viewed as hedges against the other young relievers experiencing the highs and low of a longer season, stronger opponents and the very nature of the year to year travails of relief pitching in general.

The pen looks about as lockdown as any pen in baseball IMO.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And the window has officially been shortened!  Better win a series in the next three years under La Russa!

Honestly I've often wondered what they'll say to everyone if they don't win in their window. 

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

OK, now that's a bit dramatic.  

Perhaps, but we’re losing a potential additional year of team control with Kopech and are not yet committing to Crochet as a starter.  Those guys are both critical to extending the window beyond the three years that we have Giolito for.  I worry these moves are being made with the single goal of giving La Russa as many weapons for the 2021 season.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And the window has officially been shortened!  Better win a series in the next three years under La Russa!

I don’t totally like it and think they could have signed some guys to fairly cheap deals to allow Kopech time in AAA, but look at it this way......what you’re obviously getting at is this speeds up the service time clock for Kopech, he’ll reach Arb status and FA status sooner.......if cost is an issue with Kopech and as fans we believe the Sox won’t spend enough to keep Kopech around, something went VERY right in the development process and we are probably talking about a World Series with the Sox over the next three years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm concerned that neither Kopech nor Crochet will ever get out of the bullpen at this point. If that's the case, then why blow your wad on Hendriks? 

This is just really stupid. Both guys should be in the minors starting. 

They haven't even gotten in the bullpen long enough to be stuck in the bullpen so let's not worry about that yet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

They haven't even gotten in the bullpen long enough to be stuck in the bullpen so let's not worry about that yet

It's more about never being able to stretch out. If they're in the pen all season, then neither guy will be able to pitch a full season until 2023, and that's assuming a season in 2022. If the 2022 season is canceled due to labor issues (I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least cut in half at this point) then both guys are going to be stuck in the bullpen pretty much for their careers. They're basically not giving either guy a chance to start. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It's more about never being able to stretch out. If they're in the pen all season, then neither guy will be able to pitch a full season until 2023, and that's assuming a season in 2022. If the 2022 season is canceled due to labor issues (I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least cut in half at this point) then both guys are going to be stuck in the bullpen pretty much for their careers. They're basically not giving either guy a chance to start. 

Dude I can't even respond to this hypothetical stuff.  You have no idea what happens this year with those guys you can't be claiming that they won't be able to stretch out by -2023-

i mean goddamn dude

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude I can't even respond to this hypothetical stuff.  You have no idea what happens this year with those guys you can't be claiming that they won't be able to stretch out by -2023-

i mean goddamn dude

It only makes sense if they piggyback off of each other for a start every now and then....which makes sense if you're developing players at the MLB level, but less sense if you're trying to win a championship. When you're trying to win a championship, development should happen in the minors. 

I guess it could work if they're not expecting anyone on the staff to go more than 160-180 innings because of the shortened season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman