2021 Plan for Kopech and Crochet

SoxBlanco

17 hours ago, ptatc said:

I think just physically Crochet will not be in the rotation in 2022. He needs to build up innings slowly due to his lack of innings. 

I would not count on him in the rotation until 2023.

The other difference is there are way more questions about Crochet. We KNOW that Kopech can be a starter, and a good one, we just need to build his arm up. For Crochet, we really have no idea. When he has to go 5 innings, is he sitting 98 mph, or 94? Does his stuff still play at those speeds? Can he get his delivery consistent enough to pitch 5-6 innings, and does he have enough pitches to not get hammered the second or third time through? His lack of college innings as a starter make his case pretty unique. 

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He'll throw more than that. They're gonna try to get him between 80-100 IMO 

That's seems a little high with his history. Maybe they've had him on an off season program but it seems really physically dangerous to me. Kopech's limit is around 100 and you can see how they are using each differently.

2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

The other difference is there are way more questions about Crochet. We KNOW that Kopech can be a starter, and a good one, we just need to build his arm up. For Crochet, we really have no idea. When he has to go 5 innings, is he sitting 98 mph, or 94? Does his stuff still play at those speeds? Can he get his delivery consistent enough to pitch 5-6 innings, and does he have enough pitches to not get hammered the second or third time through? His lack of college innings as a starter make his case pretty unique. 

Exactly

3 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Those questions are answered in the minor leagues.  You can't answer them pitching twice a week in the big league bullpen.

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Those questions are answered in the minor leagues.  You can't answer them pitching twice a week in the big league bullpen.

Yes you can and more effectively.  You can answer it while learning to get out MLB hitters. It doesn't matter if the physical innings are in the minors or MLB. 60 inning is a reliever at either level.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

looks like they're handling Crochet with kid gloves this year.  makes you wonder if the plan would've been to have him start the year in the minors if they had started their season on time

i don't know what people were expecting. He only threw about 15 competitive innings last year and was shut down twice, once in college and once in the MLB. I'm sure the plan was always to slowly ramp him up to 60 or so innings this year.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Should have traded him last offseason if this was their plan and/or they were so spooked about his injury issues

Everyone else would have the same plan with the possible exception of getting his 60 innings in the minors.

Edited by ptatc

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

This is absolute insanity

Its really not at all, and the Sox could absolutely use another stud in their lineup.  Kopech has become more and more attractive as a trade chip as the season has gone on.  I'll be happy to be wrong about this, I just have a bad feeling that this is going to be a recurring thing.  The warning signs are there.  He has high value now.  Pull the trigger.

4 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Its really not at all, and the Sox could absolutely use another stud in their lineup.  Kopech has become more and more attractive as a trade chip as the season has gone on.  I'll be happy to be wrong about this, I just have a bad feeling that this is going to be a recurring thing.  The warning signs are there.  He has high value now.  Pull the trigger.

You want to trade Kopech for a bat?  What position exactly?  And who is in our rotation after this season?

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is absolute insanity

The fact that he brought up mental health issues 🙄 wow.

You mean the workout warrior who deleted ALL social media to dedicate his life to his profession?

Ppl are insane man. Wow.

• Like 1
  • Love 1