2021 Plan for Kopech and Crochet

SoxBlanco

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech isn’t a top prospect, he’s a major league pitcher who has been one of the most effective arms in baseball this year.  He has legit best pitcher in baseball upside and we have an owner who won’t pay for high end starting pitching.  This idea to trade him for a one year fix for the offensive is just hands down dumb.  I can’t even believe this is a real suggestion.

I think Kopech is somewhat a  prospect in his present role since most of us see him in the rotation for the future.  I would not trade him because he very well could be our #1 starter very soon. 

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea of trading Kopech isn't awful on the surface, but it has to look something like the time Kopech was traded where a superstar with control was the other side of the deal.  Otherwise, you hold on to him and try to turn him into an ace. 

I disagree, from this perspective:

Set aside the absolute moronic idea of giving away 4+ years of whatever Kopech will become. And set aside that 3 of the ~top 8 or 9 SPs (Lynn, Rodon, Lopez) will become FA after this season. 

THIS years bullpen hasn't been all that it was advertised to be before the season. And Kopech has been among the top performers for that bullpen, for better or worse; his role as a multi-inning reliever and spot starter has been key for this team.

And then, if you subtract Kopech from THIS year's bullpen, who takes on his role? Lopez? Stiever? Who?

It would have to be a HELL of a player coming back to paper over a weakened bullpen for this years team. And that's why, IMO, for this season, its a stoopud, idiotic, and moronic idea.

Tack on the weakening of future teams by making a panic buy/giving away Kopech, and it would be a fooking fireable offense for this FO. 

On 6/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, Green Line said:

I'm thinking about World Series this season, not worried about next season.  Sox are a WS contender and another bat will provide a bigger impact than Kopech this season.  Idk who - will need to research.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:39 PM, Green Line said:

I'd have to study the situation more.

Any updates on all of your scientific research?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree, from this perspective:

Set aside the absolute moronic idea of giving away 4+ years of whatever Kopech will become. And set aside that 3 of the ~top 8 or 9 SPs (Lynn, Rodon, Lopez) will become FA after this season. 

THIS years bullpen hasn't been all that it was advertised to be before the season. And Kopech has been among the top performers for that bullpen, for better or worse; his role as a multi-inning reliever and spot starter has been key for this team.

And then, if you subtract Kopech from THIS year's bullpen, who takes on his role? Lopez? Stiever? Who?

It would have to be a HELL of a player coming back to paper over a weakened bullpen for this years team. And that's why, IMO, for this season, its a stoopud, idiotic, and moronic idea.

Tack on the weakening of future teams by making a panic buy/giving away Kopech, and it would be a fooking fireable offense for this FO. 

So...a superstar with control

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

In a second. 

It is a funny hypothetical. Sox inherit the Ohtani injury risk but he offers

- Unbelievable upgrade vs RHP

- Another #2/3 starter OR the same kopech spot starter / long man role.

Giolito/Lynn/Ohtani/Rodon/Keuchel 😍

September lineup of Anderson/Eloy/Moncada/Abreu/Ohtani/Robert/Eaton/Grandal/Madrigal

hotflashes...hot, hot flashes.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

September lineup of Anderson/Eloy/Moncada/Abreu/Ohtani/Robert/Eaton/Grandal/Madrigal

I trust the Sox more than anyone to be able to squeeze a maximum of health out of P Ohtani.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I trust the Sox more than anyone to be able to squeeze a maximum of health out of P Ohtani.

After this year? Feels like he'd pull rip his groin clean off in start 1 and we'd see him in a year.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Lilian would do ———— if this actually happened?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Suddenly we’re so trusting of Katz after completely throwing in the towel on Cooper?

How do we explain how much better the bullpen was last year?  What about Keuchel?  What about Crochet?  Bummer?  Heuer?

Katz has Rodon and Cease and I guess Kopech to crow about, but TLR also has Lance Lynn, the best pitcher on the team so far this year...along with Hendriks, one of the most expensive relievers in baseball.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Suddenly we’re so trusting of Katz after completely throwing in the towel on Cooper?

How do we explain how much better the bullpen was last year?  What about Keuchel?  What about Crochet?  Bummer?  Heuer?

Katz has Rodon and Cease and I guess Kopech to crow about, but TLR also has Lance Lynn, the best pitcher on the team so far this year...along with Hendriks, one of the most expensive relievers in baseball.

What do you want, us to be excited or to be suspicious of Katz.  Let us know 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Google define whataboutism

32 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yelich wasn't a superstar when he was traded to Milwaukee.

He was a solid player with big future who was about to get expensive, so Jeter wanted to trade him.  There was discussion with White Sox centering around Alex Hanson, IIRC.  

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It was easy to project Yelich from hitting 20 bombs to 40?? huh?  

While he probably wasn't a superstar and was likely the kind of guy that 2016/2017 mlb GMs probably overvalued, he was a Center Fielder with a pretty bankable 120 wRC+, which as we may have noticed when Robert went down, many teams do not have.