2021 Plan for Kopech and Crochet

SoxBlanco

13 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

According to Spotrac, Mercedes signed a 1 year/$570,500 contract with the Chicago White Sox In 2021, Mercedes will earn a base salary of $570,500, while carrying a total salary of $570,500. At Spotrac it shows him being n UFA after this season. I'm not saying you couldn't be right and perhaps they made a mistake, but they are usually right on with their facts. 

I pray Eaton departs!

This is 100% wrong.  The Sox still have five full years of major league control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is 100% wrong.  The Sox still have five full years of major league control.

I'm just telling you what Spotrac has published. As I said previously I am not saying whether it is right or wrong. If you say it is 100% wrong and have some other site that says different....then post it. Go to Spotrac and check for yourself. 

I only use Baseball Prospectus' Cot's Contracts. Mercedes had 0.008 ML Service time entering the season.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/162tPx_4WWAAc64Uhslp0LtPwC6KjPKS-Kmogw5bYHn8/edit#gid=1520401900

Rodon and Lynn are the only free agents after the season. Eaton has a club option w/ $1M buyout.

Arbitration eligible players are:

• Arb Year 1: Jimmy Cordero
  • Arb Year 2: Adam Engel; Jace Fry, Lucas Giolito
  • Final Arb Year: Evan Marshall

14 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

I'm just telling you what Spotrac has published. As I said previously I am not saying whether it is right or wrong. If you say it is 100% wrong and have some other site that says different....then post it. Go to Spotrac and check for yourself. 

I don't particularly care what Sportrac has posted, but in this case I am saying it is wrong.  In terms of his major league status, he is owned by the White Sox for at least the next five seasons, assuming he doesn't get sent down this one.  It would be six years of control if he gets sent down for a few weeks.  In fact the Sox are still in the stage where they can renew his contract at whatever total they darned well please for the next two years.

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I only use Baseball Prospectus' Cot's Contracts. Mercedes had 0.008 ML Service time entering the season.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/162tPx_4WWAAc64Uhslp0LtPwC6KjPKS-Kmogw5bYHn8/edit#gid=1520401900

Rodon and Lynn are the only free agents after the season. Eaton has a club option w/ $1M buyout.

Arbitration eligible players are:

• Arb Year 1: Jimmy Cordero
  • Arb Year 2: Adam Engel; Jace Fry, Lucas Giolito
  • Final Arb Year: Evan Marshall

That's also what I use. Service time is listed as X.YYY, with X being the whole number of years and YYY being the number of days, I think something like 180 days = a full season.

Anybody who was at 5.000 or more to start the season is eligible for free agency when their current contract expires, assuming no time in the minors, which is pretty rare for someone with that much experience. Anybody under 5.000 to start the season is under team control for at least one more season, even if they aren't currently under contract for that season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

That's also what I use. Service time is listed as X.YYY, with X being the whole number of years and YYY being the number of days, I think something like 180 days = a full season.

Anybody who was at 5.000 or more to start the season is eligible for free agency when their current contract expires, assuming no time in the minors, which is pretty rare for someone with that much experience. Anybody under 5.000 to start the season is under team control for at least one more season, even if they aren't currently under contract for that season.

Correct.  You must accumulate 6 full major league seasons, or its equivalent, to be granted free agency on your own terms.

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wait, why aren't the White Sox better than the Yankees?

The Yankees are like the 5th best team in the AL.

Getting swept by them will lead one to believe that the yankmees are better than our SOX. At least, this roster, without Robert and Jimenez.

We'll see where the two teams are relative to each other once injury luck starts to balance out.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Getting swept by them will lead one to believe that the yankmees are better than our SOX. At least, this roster, without Robert and Jimenez.

We'll see where the two teams are relative to each other once injury luck starts to balance out.

One 3 game series means the Yankees are better? So the Tigers are better than the Yankees then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

One 3 game series means the Yankees are better? So the Tigers are better than the Yankees then?

This just in....the Cubs are much better than the Padres.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Saying a team is better because of one 3 game sweep in baseball is an awful way to evaluate two teams. Tigers dominated the Yankees more than the Yankees dominated the White Sox.

Meh, did you see anything to suggest that the SOX were better than the yankmees?

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Saying a team is better because of one 3 game sweep in baseball is an awful way to evaluate two teams. Tigers dominated the Yankees more than the Yankees dominated the White Sox.

How about in October? 😎

14 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, did you see anything to suggest that the SOX were better than the yankmees?

Uh yes, one team is 12 games over. 500 leading mlb in run differential and WAR and the other team has the 7th best record in the American league and 9th best run differential in baseball. The Yankees need to get better than 5 other teams in the AL before they're even in the same conversation as the white sox.

Again by your logic the Yankees are worse than the Tigers.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

Really feels like the Rays are the main competition...but that everyday lineup isn’t much to write home about.  Arozarena has a mid 700’s OPS.   As usual, it’s mostly about the pitching, defense, fundamentals, baserunning, etc.

If NY gets Severino and Voit back and going, along with Andujar heating up and jitting for power like three years ago, watch out.  They’re also down Hicks.

Feels like Boston has been lingering between 8-12 games over .500, led by Bogaerts and Devers...but still hasn’t faced the toughest part of their schedule as of yet.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

In other words, we think we have a good shot at the playoffs and want to limit his innings so he can pitch in the postseason.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Green Line said:

Sounds like a nagging injury.... not goood......

They are just lengthening the time to keep his innings down. I will not be surprised if he and crochet have other muscle injuries to give them more time off. Rodon is the curious one. As it stands he will not be able to pitch in the post season. They will need to find time off for him as the season progresses. I still think the plan with him was to pitch him until August or so then let Kopech take his spot in the rotation. However, no one expected him to pitch this well so the plan may need to change.

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They are just lengthening the time to keep his innings down. I will not be surprised if he and crochet have other muscle injuries to give them more time off. Rodon is the curious one. As it stands he will not be able to pitch in the post season. They will need to find time off for him as the season progresses. I still think the plan with him was to pitch him until August or so then let Kopech take his spot in the rotation. However, no one expected him to pitch this well so the plan may need to change.

Maybe will there be a scheduled trip to the IL in which Kopech starts for a bit? 

Also, I'm concerned about Crochet ever getting out of the bullpen at this point. I don't know how he's ever going to get the innings without being sent to the minors, and he's too valuable out of the bullpen to send down. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 6/5/2021 at 9:47 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:
On 6/3/2021 at 11:10 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yankees now 3 games over 500 and in 4th in the AL East but apparently better than the white sox 

Right, maybe they can enjoy their superiority over the Sox while watching them in the playoffs from home?  Seriously, this particular form of flawed logic is one of my biggest pet peeves and it shows up every year.  Using a tiny regular season sample size against some hand-picked "good team" as your only valid measuring stick is nonsense. Won't belabor the many reasons why, which should be obvious. It's usually a tactic used by fans of opposing teams and other dedicated haters clinging to one way to diminish the accomplishments of a team that's harder and harder to criticize based on more reliable measures. Weird to see it used on a fan board, but I shouldn't be surprised. 

Reminds me of a friend I had in 2005 whose refrain throughout the season was "talk to me when your Sox can beat the Angels."  The Angels played the Sox tough in the regular season, including dominating them in a sweep in Chicago in September.  We all know how that movie ended.