2021 Plan for Kopech and Crochet

SoxBlanco

I’ve been calling for a six man rotation for a 6-8 week period in July-August to spread the innings out for Rodon, Cease,  Kopech and the rest of the staff. Can bring up a AAA starter for a few as well. 

Would revert to a five man by early-mid September at the latest, to restore timing / a regular schedule for pitchers.

You can also skip starts here or there as well, IL guys for a few starts, which is how the Sox have handled any minor hiccup so far. Lynn and Keuchel are best suited to be able to handle regular starts at this point, more do than the younger pitchers.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe will there be a scheduled trip to the IL in which Kopech starts for a bit? 

Also, I'm concerned about Crochet ever getting out of the bullpen at this point. I don't know how he's ever going to get the innings without being sent to the minors, and he's too valuable out of the bullpen to send down. 

That is a decision next year. Do they treat him like Kopech this year or send him down to stretch out . Either way he should be in the 100-120 range next year.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’ve been calling for a six man rotation for a 6-8 week period in July-August to spread the innings out for Rodon, Cease,  Kopech and the rest of the staff. Can bring up a AAA starter for a few as well. 

Would revert to a five man by early-mid September at the latest, to restore timing / a regular schedule for pitchers.

You can also skip starts here or there as well, IL guys for a few starts, which is how the Sox have handled any minor hiccup so far. Lynn and Keuchel are best suited to be able to handle regular starts at this point, more do than the younger pitchers.

I think Rodon will need more time off than a 6 man rotation to save innings for the post season. It will just depend how the next 2 months plays out. He has pitched more this year consistently than he ever has. Odds are he will go through a dead arm period.

I was thinking of similarities between 2005 club  and the 2021 team.

The one thing that stuck out in my mind was the potential of having 5 solid starters.  That was key in 2005 and it has been so far for this year's team.

Edited by tray

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't see a realistic way of Making crochet a starter. Sure he would be plenty young enough but if he finishes 2021 strong are you really sending him to the minors after appearing in two consecutive years successfully in the majors? 

Not necessary... he can transition in the bigs.

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't see a realistic way of Making crochet a starter. Sure he would be plenty young enough but if he finishes 2021 strong are you really sending him to the minors after appearing in two consecutive years successfully in the majors? 

They could treat him like Kopech this year.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

They could treat him like Kopech this year.

Is he ready for learning that on the job though? Kopech has been a starter for years while crochet has no Milb experience (and very little college experience too) and has basically been FB/slider with an occasional change. Can he learn to establish a real 3 pitch mix in that role in the majors? Is he allowed an occasional blow up in that role? 

16 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Is he ready for learning that on the job though? Kopech has been a starter for years while crochet has no Milb experience (and very little college experience too) and has basically been FB/slider with an occasional change. Can he learn to establish a real 3 pitch mix in that role in the majors? Is he allowed an occasional blow up in that role? 

It would be next year so they will find out the rest of this year.

• 1 month later...

Is there any way to still make crochet a starter? 

They Sox likely are going to be competitive the next 4-5 years and crochet is doing well in the pen.

Are they going to keep him there? Or sending him down in the minors? Or trying to stretch him out as a multi inning reliever in the majors and working on his third pitch there even if it means he occasionally gives up a 2 run bomb on it and loses a couple games? 

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

Is there any way to still make crochet a starter? 

They Sox likely are going to be competitive the next 4-5 years and crochet is doing well in the pen.

Are they going to keep him there? Or sending him down in the minors? Or trying to stretch him out as a multi inning reliever in the majors and working on his third pitch there even if it means he occasionally gives up a 2 run bomb on it and loses a couple games? 

I still think plan is to try to stretch him out to be a starter in 2023. Whether he can physically handle it or not is anyone's guess.

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kopech has all of 35 IP.  Unless the plan is to keep him under 80, there's no way he doesn't get half a dozen starts in the 2nd half, right?  I don't want to go to a 6 man and disrupt the flow of the rotation but the Sox should def consider skipping some Lynn and Rodon starts.

Yeah I think skipping guys here and there is fine to give them some rest and for Kopech to get innings.

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kopech has all of 35 IP.  Unless the plan is to keep him under 80, there's no way he doesn't get half a dozen starts in the 2nd half, right?  I don't want to go to a 6 man and disrupt the flow of the rotation but the Sox should def consider skipping some Lynn and Rodon starts.

Rodon I get but why Lynn? He's the least likely guy to get injured with all that insulation.

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Rodon I get but why Lynn? He's the least likely guy to get injured with all that insulation.

Everyone was down in innings with the shortened season. Rodon needs the most skipped but they should do some for everyone to keep them more fresh for the post-season.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:30 PM, tray said:

I was thinking of similarities between 2005 club  and the 2021 team.

The one thing that stuck out in my mind was the potential of having 5 solid starters.  That was key in 2005 and it has been so far for this year's team.

Five solid starters put any team in playoff contention.  Two excellent starters and one very good starter are needed once the playoffs begin.  If the starting pitchers stay healthy...we are in very good shape.

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I would be shocked if Kopech isn't starting regularly in August and September.  

Crochet?  I don't even know at this point.  No chance he is starting full time next season.  But I don't see them sending him to AAA to get stretched out.  So maybe a plan similar to Kopech's this year (assuming they actually stretch him out more in the 2nd half), and get him up to 80-100 innings in 2022, and transition to rotation in 2023.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would be shocked if Kopech isn't starting regularly in August and September.  

Crochet?  I don't even know at this point.  No chance he is starting full time next season.  But I don't see them sending him to AAA to get stretched out.  So maybe a plan similar to Kopech's this year (assuming they actually stretch him out more in the 2nd half), and get him up to 80-100 innings in 2022, and transition to rotation in 2023.  

Yeah that's not a bad idea. Have Kopech slide into one of the two empty rotation slots (Rodon and Lynn), Crochet slides into Kopech's role from this year. Then they either re-sign one of Lynn/Rodon or trade for a pitcher with at least 3-4 years of control (Burger headliner?).

10 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah that's not a bad idea. Have Kopech slide into one of the two empty rotation slots (Rodon and Lynn), Crochet slides into Kopech's role from this year. Then they either re-sign one of Lynn/Rodon or trade for a pitcher with at least 3-4 years of control (Burger headliner?).

Lots of options.  I am not too concerned about the 2022 rotation.  Giolito, Kopech, Cease and Keuchel is a great start.  I don't think either Lynn or Rodon will be back, and that is OK. Obviously would love to get one of them back, but I am not paying for $15M+ AAV for Rodon.  I think Lynn is a possibility. 

Just get a solid mid to back end guy, and FFS sign or trade for a legitimate LH RF and lets go to fucking battle.  Let Crochet take 10 or so starts sprinkled throughout the year, mostly towards the backend and he can take Keuchel's spot in 23 if the option doesn't vest.   

• Like 1

I would like to see Kopech get some starts to rest the current 5 guys, having only a 1/3 of starts last year.  MK can raise from 3 to 4 to 5 innings by the end of the year.  Crochet can back him up and get some multi inning appearances as well.  Would like Crochet to get 2 or 3 inning buildups more often...then throw him in Kopechs role next year and give him starts in the 2nd half of next year to stretch him out more.  Not sure how they want to utilize Garret though with how the bullpen is currently setup.  If we can get a solid right and lefty, it would make transitions a lot easier.

Edited by TheBlackSox8