Back-Up Catcher

hogan873

I know there's been some hints from the Sox that they'll use in-house options for a back-up catcher, but are there any free agents out there that could be good to give a shot?  I think McCann was lightning in a bottle, and the chances of signing another one like him are slim.  However, are there any of interest?  I might be a bit concerned about relying on Collins or *shiver* Mercedes and having Grandal get worn down catching too many games.

After Realmuto and McCann, the talent drops off.
Tyler Flowers
Jason Castro
Curt Casali
Yadier Molina
Wilson Ramos
Robinson Chirinos
Kurt Suzuki
Austin Romine

...to name a few

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I know there's been some hints from the Sox that they'll use in-house options for a back-up catcher, but are there any free agents out there that could be good to give a shot?  I think McCann was lightning in a bottle, and the chances of signing another one like him are slim.  However, are there any of interest?  I might be a bit concerned about relying on Collins or *shiver* Mercedes and having Grandal get worn down catching too many games.

After Realmuto and McCann, the talent drops off.
Tyler Flowers
Jason Castro
Curt Casali
Yadier Molina
Wilson Ramos
Robinson Chirinos
Kurt Suzuki
Austin Romine

...to name a few

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Yadier Molina. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Suzuki, Flowers, and Molina in that order.

I would be shocked if they do this.  I really believe they have a Collins plan...I think all of this year they had him catching the top prospects in the alternate training sight teaching him how to be a catcher. ..coaching him every day.   They didn't need him in 2020 with McCann and Grandal so they taught him.   I've been a big supporter of Collins and I think a guy with an elite batters eye and elite power and a lefty bat has enormous value as a back up catcher/dh/1B guy.  Bringing on some old free agent catcher seems more 2018 White Sox than 2021 White Sox.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I would be shocked if they do this.  I really believe they have a Collins plan...I think all of this year they had him catching the top prospects in the alternate training sight teaching him how to be a catcher. ..coaching him every day.   They didn't need him in 2020 with McCann and Grandal so they taught him.   I've been a big supporter of Collins and I think a guy with an elite batters eye and elite power and a lefty bat has enormous value as a back up catcher/dh/1B guy.  Bringing on some old free agent catcher seems more 2018 White Sox than 2021 White Sox.  

You could be right....but I think they will let him catch every day at AAA.  

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

You could be right....but I think they will let him catch every day at AAA.  

i think he either is a major leaguer this year or never will be.  He will be 26 by opening day. I also think he probably caught the equivalent of 1/2 a AAA season this year...they had him calling games, working with pitchers, figuring out their stuff...he was just doing it behind the scenes.  They also wouldn't be requiring him to be full time starter...just catch 50 games.   He's caught games in the majors before and wasn't terrible.   If he is sent to AAA that means they don't believe in him and never will.  I think they believe in him.