Back-Up Catcher

hogan873

Behind the plate Collins looked uncomfortable  and unsure of himself when he looked into the dugout to obtain what pitch he should call for.He seemed to do that more than what one would expect but maybe that was more due to Renteria and Cooper not trusting him, or McCann trying to help him out with his knowledge of hitters.

At the plate, Collins had a good eye and  occasional power. He might have more swing and miss in him as major league scouts profile his tendencies at the plate.  I like the way Collins focuses on hitting the ball up the middle rather than pulling everything.  I think that serves his BA well.  And of course he walks, although he has no speed.

Yermin seems adequate as a third string catcher and as an occasional DH/ pinch hitter. If they are going with Collins at back-up catcher, I think it might  be safe to have Yermin on the 25 man, at least at the outset. Bring him in when the Sox are up big late in games to keep him ready in case Grandal sustains an injury and they need another back-up catcher. Will the Sox do that? I doubt it. Instead I think they will add another pitcher to fill out the roster and have Yermin in the Minors. As a fan, I  enjoy the entertainment value of his occasional at-bats and would like to see him in the role I described,

10 hours ago, TomPickle said:

Curt Casali is probably the best fit if they're looking for a 1-for-1 replacement of McCann since Casali is really solid at hitting lefties. Grandal doesn't really have platoon splits either way so I'm not sure if that's necessary though.

Not a bad choice.  My preference is Suzuki though; ridiculously experienced. Casali really hasn't caught that many games in his career. I agree with poppysox that Collins isn't the guy for 2021....and, imo, not ever until he figures out MLB pitching. His defense isn't all the special, either.  If the Sox are "all in", I can't see them not getting a reliable, veteran backup.  God forbid that anything should happen to Grandal.  Having Collins as their every day catcher for any length of time defeats "all in" and they can't put themselves in that vulnerable position.  They probably could sign Suzuki for <=$3, 1 yr + opt and then see where Zack is a year from now.  To me, its a must for "all in".