1. 1. What's your take on eggnog?

• Yes, straight up
    • Yes, with a whiskey kick
    • Yes, with another alcohol kicker
    • Gross!!

16 hours ago, Marqhead said:

Oberweis straight up.  

There are no other egg nogs. 

Perhaps a little known fact but at least one of the Oberweis clan was a really strong chess player. He kicked my ass a time or three in tournaments. I still buy their egg Nog when I'm in Chicago.

This is the only brand I like. 39fa17df-03aa-4ee9-bef3-46c9344fb903_1.e

Not sure if it's regional or not but I know it's made in Rockford. I've had a really hard time finding it this year though.

I tried the Southern Comfort brand (non-alcoholic) a little while back and it gave me diarrhea so I haven't touched it since.

• Fire 1

On 12/22/2020 at 5:33 AM, greasywheels121 said:

For those that like it or have a brand preference, what makes one egg nog better than the other? What are the qualities of such?

It has to be thick and sweet but not sugary sweet tea sweet.  It also seems to need a Christmas image on the label and the brand I've been buying forever.  I want to believe I'm buying Christmas joy and keeping traditions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

It also seems to need a Christmas image on the label and the brand I've been buying forever.  I want to believe I'm buying Christmas joy and keeping traditions. 

So you wouldn't buy this one?

DmF0gasX0AAyVw_.jpg:large

Much like marshmallow peeps and Cadbury creme eggs, egg nog has suddenly expanded the number of holidays it shows up for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

So you wouldn't buy this one?

DmF0gasX0AAyVw_.jpg:large

Much like marshmallow peeps and Cadbury creme eggs, egg nog has suddenly expanded the number of holidays it shows up for.

Reduced fat? They wrote that like it's a good thing?!

On 12/20/2020 at 7:26 AM, Texsox said:

Perhaps a little known fact but at least one of the Oberweis clan was a really strong chess player. He kicked my ass a time or three in tournaments. I still buy their egg Nog when I'm in Chicago.

Jim Oberweis was well known at my chess club for being a sore loser. Had done "The Pandolfini Move" more than once, from what I've heard. 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jim Oberweis was well known at my chess club for being a sore loser. Had done "The Pandolfini Move" more than once, from what I've heard. 

I wish I had experienced him being a sore loser.  I was 0-3 against him. That entire club was tough. 

39 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You played at St. Charles? 

I played him in a couple tournaments around the area in the mid 1990s. He must have been rated around 1500 at the time so we seemed to draw each other. 

I recall that everyone at that club seemed to play a version of the Sicilian Defense and some d4 opening. There weren't many players pushing a queen pawn opening at the time so it was a winning strategy. 

I just realized I haven't played in 20 years now. 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I played him in a couple tournaments around the area in the mid 1990s. He must have been rated around 1500 at the time so we seemed to draw each other. 

I recall that everyone at that club seemed to play a version of the Sicilian Defense and some d4 opening. There weren't many players pushing a queen pawn opening at the time so it was a winning strategy. 

I just realized I haven't played in 20 years now. 

I've been going there since 2013 or so. Not as big as it used to be. 

Everything I've heard about Jim Oberweis is from the old timers who have been going for years. I wish I'd have known 20 years ago about this club as I quit playing from 2002-2013 because I had nowhere to play. 

On 12/23/2020 at 9:08 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I've been going there since 2013 or so. Not as big as it used to be. 

Everything I've heard about Jim Oberweis is from the old timers who have been going for years. I wish I'd have known 20 years ago about this club as I quit playing from 2002-2013 because I had nowhere to play. 

I lost thirty years of score sheets somewhere along the way. I'm certain they were thrown out by my ex with other "junk" which was defined as stuff she didn't understand of mine. I'd like to go back and see if the loses were as bad as I remember. I only remember Jim because of the dairy collection. 

There was one other old timer from that club Iirc, may not be that club,  who actually was the highest rated,  like insane 1900+.  I drew him at a US Open, also got my ass kicked. Really nice guy who tried to make me feel better about a couple of huge blunders I made. Anyhow what was interesting about him was he worked on an assembly line for one of my customers. Mind numbing boring work for most people. He said he would compose chess problems, and write songs while working. He said his brain wasn't for rent or sale at any price. 

On 12/22/2020 at 5:37 AM, bmags said:

I poured a glass of egg nog last night, took a sip. It was buttermilk. 

I did the same thing when I was a teenager. I was the only person in my house who liked egg nog, so when nobody was around I would chug it straight from the bottle. I opened the fridge one day, grabbed a bottle and chugged a few big gulps. It’s one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever tasted - probably as much because of what I was expecting vs. what I got.

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2020 at 5:33 AM, greasywheels121 said:

For those that like it or have a brand preference, what makes one egg nog better than the other? What are the qualities of such?

Thickness matters I believe.  Oberweis although really expensive is thick with more flavor than others.  Just my 2 sense. 

• Like 1