FS: 2021 MLB Mock Draft 1.0

Y2Jimmy0

I'm out on the Louisville guys (not Levi).  Davis has hands like frying pans. People get enamored with arm strength on a catcher when it's such a small part of what they do.  The first 5 letters in catcher are the most important.  He'll hit a little and he has great makeup but it's not enough to make up for the defensive deficiency. 

I guess I shouldn't say I'm out on Binelas but he has a ton to prove.  He has a history of beating up on below average pitching and getting blown up against good pitching that goes back to the summer high school circuit. He has to prove he can hit the friday and saturday starters and not just beat up on the sunday and weekday guys or he'll end up another Corey Ray who did the same thing.  He has a spring to prove it.  

The big question is whether the reports about leiter's velo gain are true and he can transfer that through the season.

If leiter is low 90s he is probably 3 to 5.

But if he is sitting mid 90s he is far and away the best player in the draft.

That is a bit like Bieber. With his 4 solid pitches and great command he was a solid middle of the rotation guy but when he went to 95 he became that super ace.

Leiter is a little similar. Also big repotoire and good command but question is the velo. Either he is a rather safe middle of the rotation guy or he can increase his velo a little which also makes his offspeed stuff a little crispier and he could become that ace.

Because of this I think leiter might be the guy out of the top5-6 who is most affected by his 2021 performance, not necessarily his results (he likely dominates college with 91 too) but his velo. If he is really up like some reports said he is clearly the best player but at 91 his upside might be a little too limited for number 1 and he will go 3-5.