Cincinnati Reds Fire Sale Thread

iWiN4PreP

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Eh, he was worth 0.1 WAR and had an OPS+ of 102 last year.  And he did almost all his damage against LHP. Oh, and he makes $16 mil a year.  I wouldn’t take him for “free” either.

Neither would Jerry.

20 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Eh, he was worth 0.1 WAR and had an OPS+ of 102 last year.  And he did almost all his damage against LHP. Oh, and he makes $16 mil a year.  I wouldn’t take him for “free” either.

It’s always fun to see which 2020s are real and which are fake.

But you could of course take Castellanos, then trade him for more than “free”, especially for an NL team needing to DH.

1 minute ago, Mr. Showtime said:

It is weird to me when I see people on Twitter who also post here, like as an example I had no idea @Kyyle23 was on Twitter until someone else I follow commented to him there. 

I guess your on Twitter as well?

It's my secret place to yell when I can't yell here.  I also hide my name very well

9 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

It is weird to me when I see people on Twitter who also post here, like as an example I had no idea @Kyyle23 was on Twitter until someone else I follow commented to him there. 

I guess your on Twitter as well?

yes but I’m not much for #soxtwitter I find most of the personalities exhausting but they end up in my feed nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s always fun to see which 2020s are real and which are fake.

But you could of course take Castellanos, then trade him for more than “free”, especially for an NL team needing to DH.

I will grant you he had a down year in 2020, but I do question the surplus value of a maximum 3 WAR player who derives most of his value against LHP, and makes $16 mil a year. One problem with FA signings is that the signing team paid the most ANY team was willing to pay a guy.  Sox could have had him for “free” coming off a much better year and chose not to. Why would they change their minds now?

Just now, Timmy U said:

I will grant you he had a down year in 2020, but I do question the surplus value of a maximum 3 WAR player who derives most of his value against LHP, and makes $16 mil a year. One problem with FA signings is that the signing team paid the most ANY team was willing to pay a guy.  Sox could have had him for “free” coming off a much better year and chose not to. Why would they change their minds now?

He’s one year cheaper, and you could obviously get more by trading him and sucking up like 4 mill. This an absurd hypothetical: of course you take him for free!

I've read numerous claims that the Reds would trade Castillo but only if an expensive second player was included.  What does the board think of acquiring Castillo plus Moustakas for Madrigal, Lopez, and a throw in like Zavala.

Put Moose at second in place of Madrigal or move him back to 3rd and move Moncada to RF and sign Wong for 2nd?  What say you Reds fans? 

2 minutes ago, roto said:

I've read numerous claims that the Reds would trade Castillo but only if an expensive second player was included.  What does the board think of acquiring Castillo plus Moustakas for Madrigal, Lopez, and a throw in like Zavala.

Put Moose at second in place of Madrigal or move him back to 3rd and move Moncada to RF and sign Wong for 2nd?  What say you Reds fans? 

If we got a cheap deal on Castillo for taking on Moose, I would do it in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roto said:

I think Castillo is arb controlled for the next 3 years.  Do your magic Mr. Hahn.

And starting pitchers get the shaft in arb for some reason.

I do think reds should prioritize getting position players, but unfortunately I don't think madrigal gets it done.

I wouldn't offer Cease or Kopech and wanted to keep Stiever but since Madrigal wouldn't be enough and they are tearing down for the future, maybe they'd take one of Thompson or Dalquist instead of Lopez.  Or throw in Burger or Sheets? So, Madrigal, Thompson, Zavala, and Sheets for Castillo and Moustakas. 

Just trying to accommidate their sell off and positioning to compete in 2023 while allowing them to save face with their fanbase.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we got a cheap deal on Castillo for taking on Moose, I would do it in a heartbeat. 

This would be an absolute no brainer. Moustakas could play 2B/3B/DH and wouldn't make you rely on Vaughn (if you could get the deal done without including him) or blocking him if he just kills it in the minors this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

This would be an absolute no brainer. Moustakas could play 2B/3B/DH and wouldn't make you rely on Vaughn (if you could get the deal done without including him) or blocking him if he just kills it in the minors this year.

Yep love the framework. Yankees seem like a perfect fit for Castillo and Moustakas if DJ goes elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The White Sox rotation would go from "Jesus, we don't even have a #3 starter" to one of the best in baseball in one off-season. That would be quite the feat.

Ugh, I'm excited about something now.

If mous actually carried a lot of hurt on the reds books.

White Sox Get:
Luis Castillo ($4.4 mill)
Mike Moustakas ($14 mill)
Total (18.8 mill)

Cincinnati Reds Get:
Nick Madrigal ($575k)
Jonathan Stiever
Jared Kelly
Kade McClure

puts sox at $132mill.

Sign Jake McGee, Archie Bradley for 8mill, sign Austin Romine to minor league deal with a 1.8 mill season bonus.

Pitching staff
Giolito / Keuchel / Lynn / Castillo / Cease|Kopech Reserve: Lopez
Bullpen: Bradley, Bummer, McGee, Heuer, Marshall ,Foster, Fry, Reserve: Crochet

😍

I'm not sure the Reds are going to sell and I'm not sure they are a match for the Sox if they do.

But I am confident the winner of this offseason will be the team that aggressively buys the salary dumps if and when teams are forced to sell.  You have to think it is coming.  Teams sell for financial reasons often during seemingly normal times, I can't imagine we escape this offseason without multiple teams dumping salary.  

I didn’t even think of adding Moustakas to a potential deal but it’s actually a good idea. He can play several different positions, is already familiar with the division, and his contract isn’t that ridiculous. If the Sox could get Castillo at a lower price simply by taking on Moustakas they should absolutely consider it.