Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am so perplexed on my feelings about the sox international strategy. I think James articulates most of it well: they are doing a better job, they are finding impact talent, but they also seem to be not maximizing it that from the outside looks so bizarre each year.

However, I do wonder if a lot of this is just Paddy having good sources on the cuban pipeline and always having uncertainty when guys are going to be there. And so maybe the "they didn't think there was guys worth signing", an objectively silly line from Hahn, actually was "we'd prefer to keep some space just in case X guy comes open.

But that doesn't make sense when they trade it away, so I'm at a loss.

They are doing something right, who couldn't like the last 3 years, after a pretty pisspoor start. But it just seems so weird when you have an allotted budget to say "well that's good enough, why don't we just try to save some cash on nate jones.

I have definitely spent time thinking that between all of the Cuban players we have, and Marco Paddy, that there well may be a big board that exists somewhere in the Sox organization which anticipates when certain Cubans are going to come available on the American market.  In fact I would be mildly surprised if they don't.  I have also spent time wondering if when it gets to Jerry's level if there is an aversion to signing the super young players, so they do plan on leaving room for the Cuban kids as they come free.  So if a kid they thought was coming over doesn't make it in the right "class" (say Colas was supposed to be here in the Yolbert class) which is why they end up with oddly large leftover funds at times, it kind of makes sense.

Is that what is happening for real?  I have zero idea.  I would be interested to ever find that out though, because it would make more sense than they just are that bad in Latin America minus Cuba.

• Like 1

"The knock is that he struggled against good breaking pitches, of note Cuba is a heavy breaking pitch league, however he did still put up solid if not spectacular batting lines. This has some scouts thinking he could be a better MLB hitter if he can master/sit fastballs while hopefully improving or at least recognizing breaking stuff. There is some concern though as average velocity in Cuba is decidedly lower than in MLB."

https://cubabeisbolphil.medium.com/getting-to-know-yo-elqui-efa180009c50

One area I really trust paddy on at this point is his ability to recognize if the cuban player will be able to hit velocity. I'm pretty excited here. Doesn't sound like he has the power of Yoenis, but a pretty nice package.

• Like 1

Love it... Cespedes was #1 on the list for me, then Colas right behind him.... Have a feeling Colas will wait to sign with us, unless he just takes no bonus this period and we "rework" his contract next year, which is highly unlikely. 

ALL. THE. CUBANS.

Edited by Soxnfins

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

Love it... Cespedes was #1 on the list for me, then Colas right behind him.... Have a feeling Colas will wait to sign with us, unless he just takes no bonus this period and we "rework" his contract next year, which is highly unlikely. 

ALL. THE. CUBANS.

That is how you lose you international signings for two years.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is how you lose you international signings for two years.

If Colas wants to sign with the Sox next year, is there anything that keeps him from going to the KBO or back to Japan for a year? 

I'd imagine because he had a bit of a hard time getting released from his Japanese team, Colas would be more likely to play in the KBO if he's waiting. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Merk's on the case now too

I'm curious how this stuff happens. Do we think the sox actually finalized the handshake agreement recently, or do we think people knew he was going there but didn't want to be the first to report it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Colas wants to sign with the Sox next year, is there anything that keeps him from going to the KBO or back to Japan for a year? 

I'd imagine because he had a bit of a hard time getting released from his Japanese team, Colas would be more likely to play in the KBO if he's waiting. 

I have zero idea how the Japanese stuff works.

58 minutes ago, Quin said:

@Y2Jimmy0, question as old as time, where do you slot him in your Top 10?

Obviously not directed at me, but I’d have him ranked 5th right between Madrigal & Kelley.

1. Andrew Vaughn
  2. Micheal Kopech
  3. Garrett Crochet
  4. Nick Madrigal
  5. Yoelki Cespedes
  6. Jared Kelley
  7. Jonathan Stiever
  8. Matthew Thompson
  9. Andre Dalquist
  10. Zack Burdi
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Why would Paddy stay with this organization? I'm surprised he hasn't bolted to somewhere that would provide him with additional resources and spending.

Man, for a so-called Sox fan, you sure do like to talk about people bolting from this team.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Looks like we know who is calling the shots now. F this. I'm rooting for the northside next year. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Obviously not directed at me, but I’d have him ranked 5th right between Madrigal & Kelley.

1. Andrew Vaughn
  2. Micheal Kopech
  3. Garrett Crochet
  4. Nick Madrigal
  5. Yoelki Cespedes
  6. Jared Kelley
  7. Jonathan Stiever
  8. Matthew Thompson
  9. Andre Dalquist
  10. Zack Burdi

Thats a strong top ten...especially with Vera orbiting around the top as well.

• Like 3

• knightni changed the title to Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic