Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes

soxfan49

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Balder mentions Colas, but I am not a subscriber, so no idea what he states.

As for Cuban outfielder Oscar Colas, the White Sox have a $5,348,100 bonus pool. Since MLB changed the rules this year, teams are no longer allowed to trade bonus pool space, so the White Sox can’t go any higher. Between Cespedes, Vera and the other prospects linked to the White Sox below, those players would take up just about all of the club’s allotted pool space. That’s the situation just about every team is in at the moment, which is why several Cuban players have recently been waiting an extra year for new bonus pools to start before they officially sign. So while Colas still is available, it’s possible he might wait until the 2021-22 period starts (most likely moved back to Jan. 15, 2022) to sign with an MLB club.

Here is the snippet regarding Colas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

This is a pretty damning indictment.   Trading the funds made no sense at the time. 

But at the same time, how much did we deal to Texas? $250K? If Colas is ready to sign, we could get $250K back in another deal to sign Vera in 2020? IIRC we could still trade for slot bonus for 2020.

49 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

But at the same time, how much did we deal to Texas? $250K? If Colas is ready to sign, we could get $250K back in another deal to sign Vera in 2020? IIRC we could still trade for slot bonus for 2020.

Incorrect. They've barred from trading International money. Also, they traded $500k to Texas. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I was going specifically with prospects, not international free agents. If we included international free agents, then we have to include Abreu and Ohtani.

Ohtani technically signed as an amateur free agent (like Robert, Moncada, etc) and has to go through what a regular draft pick or young international signing goes through with team control and arbitration after a certain amout of service time. He was an international prospect. They just put him on the MLB team on opening day so there was no service manipulation.

Edited by manbearpuig

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Ohtani technically signed as an amateur free agent (like Robert, Moncada, etc) and had to go through what a regular draft pick or young international signing goes through with team control and arbitration after a certain amout of service time. He was an international prospect.

Forgot realize Ohtani signed after Robert (i.e. the cap put in place, Robert was the last big fish before the new system). I thought the posting system is what kept Ohtani's price tag low, not the prospect status.

Ohtani was definitely the last mega-hype international prospect in that case. Before him it was Robert, before him, Moncada.

Side note: Anyone remember Rusney Castillo? He's finally free from Boston's AAA team.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Incorrect. They've barred trading International money. Also, they traded $500k to Texas. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/10/31/white-sox-trade-center-welington-castillo-to-rangers/40523555/

They traded $250K only, Castillo's buyout was $500K.

Edit: This is false on both accounts. They haven't been barred on trading for 2020 period, which ends either this month for next. There is no trading for the next two signing period.

Either way, I just don't think the $250K is really preventing them from signing both, if their money remaining + $250K is enough to sign Colas.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

From what I've heard today, it seems very possible that Colas will indeed wait until next January 

If most clubs are out of international pool money, Colas might have to wait until 2022 in order to sign. Sox could absolutely still be in the mix for him then. 

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

Forgot realize Ohtani signed after Robert (i.e. the cap put in place, Robert was the last big fish before the new system). I thought the posting system is what kept Ohtani's price tag low, not the prospect status.

Ohtani was definitely the last mega-hype international prospect in that case. Before him it was Robert, before him, Moncada.

Side note: Anyone remember Rusney Castillo? He's finally free from Boston's AAA team.

I did see that. If Yasmany Tomas can get a minor league deal, I feel he should too.

• knightni changed the title to Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic