Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes

soxfan49

2 hours ago, bmags said:

"The knock is that he struggled against good breaking pitches, of note Cuba is a heavy breaking pitch league, however he did still put up solid if not spectacular batting lines. This has some scouts thinking he could be a better MLB hitter if he can master/sit fastballs while hopefully improving or at least recognizing breaking stuff. There is some concern though as average velocity in Cuba is decidedly lower than in MLB."

https://cubabeisbolphil.medium.com/getting-to-know-yo-elqui-efa180009c50

One area I really trust paddy on at this point is his ability to recognize if the cuban player will be able to hit velocity. I'm pretty excited here. Doesn't sound like he has the power of Yoenis, but a pretty nice package.

You want to see something funny?  How about a scouting report on Jose Abreu from the day the Sox first signed him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1815375-jose-abreu-reportedly-signs-6-year-deal-with-chicago-white-sox

image.png

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You want to see something funny?  How about a scouting report on Jose Abreu from the day the Sox first signed him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1815375-jose-abreu-reportedly-signs-6-year-deal-with-chicago-white-sox

image.png

Hahah!  That's great.  Jose has absolutely feasted on the best pitching.  I love it.

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

At what point are we just getting greedy?

It's the only way we can be greedy with JR running the show, and I'm ok with it. :lol:

We've been a second-class team for so long prior to last year, that we finally can be in the drivers seat for something.

Edited by Soxnfins
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% it’s a top 10 farm at the moment because very few systems have a top four like ours.  The problem is that will change in like six months and suddenly the system will be bottom 10 baring some breakout performances next year.

Those players would have graduated and make the big league team even better, and signal the infusion of the next wave of talent (minus Kopech, whose clock had been running).

But I agree we do need to see a few of the young guys to step up after the top 3 graduates to keep the farm ranking respectable, from the group of young guys like Kelley, Thompson, Dalquist, Vera, Bailey, Sanchez, Ramos, Bush, Beard, Gladney, and Rodriguez.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, you'd think the Colas would be a given with the Portillos Burger....

Eh... I tried

Really hope he signs with us so we can try to make some tortured attempt at naming him RC Colas

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

image.png

Exactly. And there have been quite a few good Cuban players that have not signed with Sox, obviously. But I do think it means something that he stood on the table for Robert, Abreu and we did not for Yasmany Tomas.

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Those players would have graduated and make the big league team even better, and signal the infusion of the next wave of talent (minus Kopech, whose clock had been running).

But I agree we do need to see a few of the young guys to step up after the top 3 graduates to keep the farm ranking respectable, from the group of young guys like Kelley, Thompson, Dalquist, Vera, Bailey, Sanchez, Ramos, Bush, Beard, Gladney, and Rodriguez.

Oh no doubt, the core should theoretically be top three in baseball, but the leftover farm system will be very weak without substantial growth from the young guys targeted for A ball next year (a lot of which you just named) or the older guys with question marks who will start at AA or AAA (such as Burger, Adolfo, Rutherford, Sheets, Pilkington, & McClure).

With regards to where the sox system will likely rank.

Vaughn 13 - 87pp
Kopech 18 - 82pp
Madrigal 36 - 64pp
*Céspedes 48 - 52pp
Crochet 89 - 11pp (this is a gross under ranking but we all know this)

you figure based off Jasson Dominguez ranked at 48 #1 intl prospect from last year, lets just put Cespedes in the same spot.

Going by "prospect points" from mlb pipeline that puts the sox at a theoretical 296pp; likely keeping their same spot at 4th overall from last year (318).

I think our top end lost a fair bit with Robert's graduation but the depth after the top 5 is significantly better than before and Crochet will likely be ranked higher in the re-rank.
Its entirely possible depending on the re-rank of Crochet and where Céspedes lines up the sox have as good if not a slightly better farm than the Padres (#3).

So yes a top 3-5 system while competing. 

6 minutes ago, beautox said:

Vaughn 13 - 87pp
Kopech 18 - 82pp
Madrigal 36 - 64pp
*Céspedes 48 - 52pp

you figure based off Jasson Dominguez ranked at 48 #1 intl prospect from last year, lets just put Cespedes in the same spot.

Going by "prospect points" from mlb pipeline that puts the sox at a theoretical 296pp; likely keeping their same spot at 4th overall from last year (318).

I think our top end lost a fair bit with Robert's graduation but the depth after the top 5 is significantly better than before and Crochet will likely be ranked higher in the re-rank.
Its entirely possible depending on the re-rank of Crochet and where Céspedes lines up the sox have as good if not a slightly better farm than the Padres (#3).

Keep drafting well and signing prospects well and winning and you have something very, very, very special

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beautox said:

Vaughn 13 - 87pp
Kopech 18 - 82pp
Madrigal 36 - 64pp
*Céspedes 48 - 52pp

That is pretty impressive after the huge graduations we had recently. Usually after your big graduation, your rankings plummet. I think we have a chance to keep the ball rolling by simply drafting BPA moving forward. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

That is pretty impressive after the huge graduations we had recently. Usually after your big graduation, your rankings plummet. I think we have a chance to keep the ball rolling by simply drafting BPA moving forward. 

Agreed, also entirely possible Adolfo or Bailey just go off and storm the rankings, they've got some tools.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Exactly. And there have been quite a few good Cuban players that have not signed with Sox, obviously. But I do think it means something that he stood on the table for Robert, Abreu and we did not for Yasmany Tomas.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

They wanted Soler also

I think a big development is both the establishment and evolution of Abreu into and elder statesman and All-Star, along with Yoan and Robert joining up. Add in Grandal and suddenly you have a strong landing spot for Cuban signees.

Yes, before the Sox had both Abreu and Alexei, but it wasn't the same. At all.

• knightni changed the title to Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic