Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just saw this on Twitter, but we’re potentially getting Cespedes cheaper than Yogurt Sanchez.  That’s pretty fucking nuts when you think about the difference in hype and talent.

I wonder if they have the same rep.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just saw this on Twitter, but we’re potentially getting Cespedes cheaper than Yogurt Sanchez.  That’s pretty fucking nuts when you think about the difference in hype and talent.

If the Cuban stars align, Yolbert will click and Cespedes gets up here quickly, allowing the Sox to roll out this line up:

SS - Anderson
3B - Moncada
1B - Abreu
LF - Eloy
C - Grandal
CF - Robert
DH - Vaughn
RF - Cespedes
2B - Yolbert

P - Vera (who for the sake of this scenario, quickly ascended through the Sox farm system in a way no one saw coming).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

So when the first thread start on trading away Cespedes and Norge Vera for starting pitcher, lol.

Lol.  Well not until Céspedes comes up and gets 2 hits his first game.  

ONLY THEN will we have the needed data to project what a great career he will have. 

“2 hits x 162 = 324 hits per year...but I don’t want to be ridiculous so let’s just say he averages 275 hits per year for 6 injury-free years.   This is basically his floor worst case.”

30 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/10/31/white-sox-trade-center-welington-castillo-to-rangers/40523555/

They traded $250K only, Castillo's buyout was $500K.

Edit: This is false on both accounts. They haven't been barred on trading for 2020 period, which ends either this month for next. There is no trading for the next two signing period.

Either way, I just don't think the $250K is really preventing them from signing both, if their money remaining + $250K is enough to sign Colas.

I thought it was the Nate Jones buyout, and that was $500k. That's where the confusion came from. 

I was under the impression that the barred International pool trades included 2020. Do you have a link that says that it doesn't? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

If the Cuban stars align, Yolbert will click and Cespedes gets up here quickly, allowing the Sox to roll out this line up:

SS - Anderson
3B - Moncada
1B - Abreu
LF - Eloy
C - Grandal
CF - Robert
DH - Vaughn
RF - Cespedes
2B - Yolbert

P - Vera (who for the sake of this scenario, quickly ascended through the Sox farm system in a way no one saw coming).

Did Madrigal die? 

• Haha 3

Awesome get. It's hard to believe Colas would delay his signing for another year but would have to know how many teams have anything close to $500k+ left.

If the Sox make another trade I'm expecting one or more our Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez trio along with Sheets, Collins and Mercedes to be moved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Thats a strong top ten...especially with Vera orbiting around the top as well.

I originally had Vera 10th, but am super high on Burdi’s talent and think he has a chance to be a special reliever if he has can learn to harness his stuff.  But yeah, it’s a great top 10 for now, but the first four guys will likely lose eligibility at some point next season and we’ll definitely need a few of our younger prospects to step up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I thought it was the Nate Jones buyout, and that was $500k. That's where the confusion came from. 

I was under the impression that the barred International pool trades included 2020. Do you have a link that says that it doesn't? 

The 2020 signing period was mostly in the books when they made the rule change, so it didn't make sense for them to implement the no trade rule, so I think they just extended the 2020 period, and the no trade rule applies for future periods only.

Here's the link:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-deal-saves-2020-mlb-draft-but-hurts-incoming-talent/

Perhaps just as important, MLB teams will not be allowed to trade bonus pool allotments in either of the next two international signing periods.

I wonder if any of our fine Cuban ambassadors in Jose, Yoan, Luis, and/or Yasmani had anything to do with encouraging Yoelqui to sign with the Sox.  At the very least it would seem this is the organization of choice for Cuban ball players.  I think the Sox are proving to be a great landing spot for these players.  Hopefully that reputation will rub off on other potential Latin players from other countries where the team hasn’t been quite as successful.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Vaughn/Kopech/Crochet/Cespedes/Kelley/Dalquist/Thompson. Is this still a top 10 farm?

We’d be one of the few teams with a playoff caliber roster and a Top 10 farm.

100% it’s a top 10 farm at the moment because very few systems have a top four like ours.  The problem is that will change in like six months and suddenly the system will be bottom 10 baring some breakout performances next year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I originally had Vera 10th, but am super high on Burdi’s talent and think he has a chance to be a special reliever if he has can learn to harness his stuff.  But yeah, it’s a great top 10 for now, but the first four guys will likely lose eligibility at some point next season and we’ll definitely need a few of our younger prospects to step up.

Hope Bball in general and minor league/affiliates get sorted so we can enjoy watching these guys develop. I'm very high on Crochet and Stiever and anxious to see what Kopech can do if he can stay healthy and avoid distractions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I wonder if any of our fine Cuban ambassadors in Jose, Yoan, Luis, and/or Yasmani had anything to do with encouraging Yoelqui to sign with the Sox.  At the very least it would seem this is the organization of choice for Cuban ball players.  I think the Sox are proving to be a great landing spot for these players.  Hopefully that reputation will rub off on other potential Latin players from other countries where the team hasn’t been quite as successful.  

It would be foolish to think they didn't all talk when we know how much recruiting work has happened in the past.  Heck we have seen Colas thanking Moncada for sending him bats and wearing Sox shirts in his vids.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

This. We always talk about building the next generation of fans and how the team's performance competes with the cubs for the next generation of fans

Imagine if we can sustain this pipeline of talent and build the next generation of Cuban fans that grow up watching their favorite players on the Sox, and then they too want to play for the Sox.

Success begets success.

• Like 2

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

This. We always talk about building the next generation of fans and how the team's performance competes with the cubs for the next generation of fans

Imagine if we can sustain this pipeline of talent and build the next generation of Cuban fans that grow up watching their favorite players on the Sox, and then they too want to play for the Sox.

Success begets success.

We are on to the second generation of these signings now.

The Alexei Ramirez signing happened 13 years ago, yesterday.  The Viciedo signing happened in November of 2008.  Jose Abreu was in October of 2013.  It is officially a pipeline.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Success begets success.

Ok I'll say it. Imagine the fan building in the DR had the Sox kept F. Tatis, Jr. Oh well more work to do for that in the DR.

• knightni changed the title to Badler: Sox expected to sign Yoelki Cespedes
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic