2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

12 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Wendell and Coby look horrible.

Coby will be better. Wendell - I have no idea. Williams looked solid for a first game but good god what an ass whooping. 

I do think the Hawks are good - but not this good. I’ll hold major judgement for at least 10-15 games given change in system, minimal preseason, etc - but what a dog of a first game. 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Garpax Boylen stench does not wash off so easily lol

Boylen's team played defense.  But this bunch does have talent that will fetch something in return and I hope that happens sooner than later.  This is a team of positionless players that just does not fit together.  That is Gar/Pax's legacy.  Keep it intact and they win 20.  Trade assets for draft picks and they still win 20.  Duh.

5 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Boylen's team played defense.  But this bunch does have talent that will fetch something in return and I hope that happens sooner than later.  This is a team of positionless players that just does not fit together.  That is Gar/Pax's legacy.  Keep it intact and they win 20.  Trade assets for draft picks and they still win 20.  Duh.

I don't remember Boylens teams playing much of a defense, but I agree with the rest

7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't remember Boylens teams playing much of a defense, but I agree with the rest

The bulls actually graded out decently defensively last year. The blitz style Boylen introduced was actually pretty solid and probably a pretty good use of his personel (on the d side of the house)s 

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The bulls actually graded out decently defensively last year. The blitz style Boylen introduced was actually pretty solid and probably a pretty good use of his personel (on the d side of the house)s 

That's funny because every analyst that comes on the score completely blasts it for leaving defenders tired and out of position and allowing way too many open threes 

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's funny because every analyst that comes on the score completely blasts it for leaving defenders tired and out of position and allowing way too many open threes 

Maybe it made their offense worse but defensively - I don’t think those score analysts are correct. It is easy for everyone to just rip on everything Boylen did and there could be something to say that the blitz defense wasn’t sustainable - but it isn’t as if the unit ranked poorly. It was horrific offensively though. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Maybe it made their offense worse but defensively - I don’t think those score analysts are correct. It is easy for everyone to just rip on everything Boylen did and there could be something to say that the blitz defense wasn’t sustainable - but it isn’t as if the unit ranked poorly. It was horrific offensively though. 

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/2020/01/09/so-about-that-defense-and-other-bulls-bullets/

"

• Earlier this season, the Bulls stumbled their way into a top-3 defensive rating in the NBA. The stat gave Jim Boylen and his coaching staff something to hang their hat on, but expectedly so, ever since starting this five-game stretch against the Bucks, Jazz, Celtics, Mavs, and Pelicans, the Bulls defensive rating has started its descent. In other words, the hook holding Boylen’s hat lacks just as much backbone as this front office. The Bulls defensive rating has fallen to 8th-overall, and chances are, it’ll continue working its way down the leaderboards with the Indiana Pacers up next.
  • If the Bulls are playing a team with a competent head coach or superior talent (which the Pelicans have at least one of with Alvin Gentry), their defense is out of luck. A common theme throughout the entire season has been the opposing team’s ability to make adjustments at halftime while the Bulls sit on their hands."

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It looks like it was making everything worse 

This was a consistent theme

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is this the worst team in the NBA?  Carter continues to be impossibly bad.

Carter has regressed, somehow. He is bad at everything now apparently. The sad part is barely anybody on the team has value. Zach is the only one that can get you a decent 1st rounder. Guys like Thad Young or Otto may net you a late 1st from a contender. 

I can't believe what the Bucks traded for Jrue Holiday. I feel like Zach + Sato or even Zach + Lauri is a better trade for the Bucks, and similar salary. I would make either trades in a heartbeat. 

Edited by ron883

15 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Can we all at least agree that with a new team president, GM, coach and Michael Reinsdorf that this team is irrelevant, they will sell assets and aim for the highest pick possible even though tanking does not guarantee the highest pick?

I'd hope so. It seems like Michael Reinsdorf will be more open to that than his father. They need to acquire as much talent possible right now, draft well, and sell some superstars on the idea of playing for the Bulls and in Chicago. The Chicago Bulls should definitely be a destination for stars. It is crazy that it hasn't been.

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I don't often do this (because I'm not usually wrong), but @Look at Ray Ray Run was completely correct about WCJ being trash and Sexton being a much better pick. WCJ can't even play defense now. The paint is free cheese for defenders. 

He wasn’t even very good at Duke.  Just sucks they barley missed on Luka or Trae Young and got stuck with him.

Edited by fathom

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Carter has regressed, somehow. He is bad at everything now apparently. The sad part is barely anybody on the team has value. Zach is the only one that can get you a decent 1st rounder. Guys like Thad Young or Otto may net you a late 1st from a contender. 

I can't believe what the Bucks traded for Jrue Holiday. I feel like Zach + Sato or even Zach + Lauri is a better trade for the Bucks, and similar salary. I would make either trades in a heartbeat. 

Taking nothing away from Jrue Holiday, this would be an awful trade for the Bulls. Jrue Holiday has been in the playoffs 4 times in his 11 year career, three of those he shot less than 42% and less than 16ppg. He’s 30. 

Lavine has improved every year so far and is much younger. We have yet to see what he can do with a winning team around him and probably won’t. Who knows what Lauri is and we will get a better glimpse this year. Neither of there players are a top option but Holiday  never has been or will be either. 

• bmags locked this topic