2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

How do lottery picks work relative to the play-in tournament? Does the 10 seed that wins the play-in tourney also get a lottery pick or in that situation does the 10 seed lose the lottery pick?  

Good question but not sure, I kinda thought the bottom 14 teams were locks for lotto regardless so it didn't create bad incentives

Huge comeback - Zach with the vets starting in second half was just a total stud - put team on his back and is showing he is so much more than so many thought. 

Donovan with some stones to go to that vet lineup and send a message. Patrick Williams with a late clutch 3 and another solid performance. Baby steps.

Coby White remains one of the worst players in the league - just another terrible performance and worse part is you don’t just get his stink - it’s the fact that his stink impacts everyone else. You can see Donovan is starting to lose it with White as a point guard - we are seeing a lot more Sato as primary.  Goes back to why I want lonzo - between his d and ability to make others better - will make it so much easier for the front office and Donovan to continue the roster evaluation and overall progress of this franchise. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Huge comeback - Zach with the vets starting in second half was just a total stud - put team on his back and is showing he is so much more than so many thought. 

Donovan with some stones to go to that vet lineup and send a message. Patrick Williams with a late clutch 3 and another solid performance. Baby steps.

Coby White remains one of the worst players in the league - just another terrible performance and worse part is you don’t just get his stink - it’s the fact that his stink impacts everyone else. You can see Donovan is starting to lose it with White as a point guard - we are seeing a lot more Sato as primary.  Goes back to why I want lonzo - between his d and ability to make others better - will make it so much easier for the front office and Donovan to continue the roster evaluation and overall progress of this franchise. 

He lets Coby bring the ball up before he hands to Zach to initiate the offense.  It lets Zach rest a little.  Sato lacks the ability to penetrate, so he's not a starting PG either.  I wish Arch had a different body.  He's got the skills.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:59 PM, Stinky Stanky said:

He lets Coby bring the ball up before he hands to Zach to initiate the offense.  It lets Zach rest a little.  Sato lacks the ability to penetrate, so he's not a starting PG either.  I wish Arch had a different body.  He's got the skills.

Haha -  very true - and that isn't to say much for Sato - who is an okay bench player with his own flaws.  Instead of making my usual negative Coby White post (cause i really really hope he just develops and I do recognize development isn't always linear and I know Coby works hard etc)...but I really want to highlight how much I appreciate Lavine.  

While him and Buckets are different players - they have a lot of the same qualities in them when it comes to their ability to just consistently elevate their game and get better. The upside with Lavine is his raw skills are like so few players in the league. I will probably regret this - but Lavine is a true building block for this franchise - they have a long ways to go and need to find more - but I just want to propose my undeniable affection for Lavine and how fun he can be to watch (and frustrating too - given the lack of playmakers on this roster).  

Would so love to see Lavine with a high end big and a quality PG.  

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Haha -  very true - and that isn't to say much for Sato - who is an okay bench player with his own flaws.  Instead of making my usual negative Coby White post (cause i really really hope he just develops and I do recognize development isn't always linear and I know Coby works hard etc)...but I really want to highlight how much I appreciate Lavine.  

While him and Buckets are different players - they have a lot of the same qualities in them when it comes to their ability to just consistently elevate their game and get better. The upside with Lavine is his raw skills are like so few players in the league. I will probably regret this - but Lavine is a true building block for this franchise - they have a long ways to go and need to find more - but I just want to propose my undeniable affection for Lavine and how fun he can be to watch (and frustrating too - given the lack of playmakers on this roster).  

Would so love to see Lavine with a high end big and a quality PG.  

How do we feel about John Collins?

4 hours ago, bmags said:

seems like a terrible fit for Lavine.

Honestly - more than anything - I can probably live with seeing how WCJ can emerge and if he can just be healthier - cause I think he's pretty solid as bigs go and is going to have a long career (if injuries don't get him), but I really want to give Lavine a good partner in crime who can help him.  

The stats out on Coby White are so bad - you look at all the deep analytics and Lauri and Lavine immediately flip from negative players in advance analytics to + players on advanced analytics (and in Lavine's case - pretty damn good).  

Blog-a-bull had a really good piece on Lavine and it also touches a bit on the on/off comparisons of Coby White.  White is really really hindering the whole rest of the lineup as a starter/point guard/black-hole.  

https://www.blogabull.com/2021/2/18/22283077/zach-lavine-has-arrived-and-nobody-is-happy

4 hours ago, bmags said:

seems like a terrible fit for Lavine.

I'm lazy - so I always think Towns would be a stellar fit - even though none of that is probably feasible.  But when you look at the efficiency Lavine is putting up when often times the entire team is focused on stopping him - it is kind of crazy.  

I still like Drummond for this team. He's a little bit of a dinosaur, but I think his presence would add so much. 

Depending on the price, I wouldn't mind swinging that deal now to see how it plays out. Bulls, to me, are "Too good" right now to be thinking about the lottery so they might as well add. 

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm lazy - so I always think Towns would be a stellar fit - even though none of that is probably feasible.  But when you look at the efficiency Lavine is putting up when often times the entire team is focused on stopping him - it is kind of crazy.  

It's possible. At some point, I think KAT wants out or they try and trade him to keep rebuilding. He is buddies with Zach, so Chicago is a realistic landing spot if he demands a trade. This is why I really want the Bulls to get in the lottery this year. Either use that pick to trade, or hope AK hits on the pick and use that player in a trade next year. As far as I'm concerned, everybody but Zach and Williams is trade bait. Throw everything you have at the twolves for KAT. 

KAT's defense is sightly worrisome. You want your center to be an above average defender ideally. He's just so talented offensively.

Edited by ron883

55 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Embiid was just too much 

Can't guard a supercenter with midgets.  They competed despite a missing in action three point game, although Wendell did hit one and that's got to be a big part of his future game.  They look like an NBA team and they're not a waste of time to watch.  Faint praise is better than no praise, right?

I wish the Bulls could get Lonzo Ball without trading either Markkanen or White. I've heard Ball is on his way out of New Orleans. I think this team is a PG away from being decent. 

White would be great as the 1st guy off the bench. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wish the Bulls could get Lonzo Ball without trading either Markkanen or White. I've heard Ball is on his way out of New Orleans. I think this team is a PG away from being decent. 

White would be great as the 1st guy off the bench. 

Thaddeus Young might be able to get you Ball - but Thaddeus has obviously been a major asset for this squad.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Thaddeus Young might be able to get you Ball - but Thaddeus has obviously been a major asset for this squad.  

I cant see why Hornets would do that. The Hornets need young talented players, and unfortunately having the last name Young doesnt really qualify.

Im not a huge Ball fan, if you really want him on the Bulls I think the better move is try and sign him as a RFA. Even if the Bulls were to trade for him, I still think hed want to test FA. How much is right of first refusal worth? I woudlnt give up a 1st round pick and I just dont see what other players match. It makes 0 sense to trade Lauri, because then youre giving up right of first refusal on him. 

26 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I cant see why Hornets would do that. The Hornets need young talented players, and unfortunately having the last name Young doesnt really qualify.

Im not a huge Ball fan, if you really want him on the Bulls I think the better move is try and sign him as a RFA. Even if the Bulls were to trade for him, I still think hed want to test FA. How much is right of first refusal worth? I woudlnt give up a 1st round pick and I just dont see what other players match. It makes 0 sense to trade Lauri, because then youre giving up right of first refusal on him. 

New Orleans wants help cause they are trying to win. They aren’t in spot where they need young players - I think they want good vets who can help them win and help Ingram and Zion take things next level. In many ways Thaddeus and/or Sato are perfect for that and Thaddeus contract is a great deal for next year for any acquiring team. 

For all those reasons - I also assume Billy would want to keep Thad - but if you can get an asset you like (lonzo) or a first round pick - well you do that. 

The big reason why Lonzo now is you get to rent before you own and potentially get a chance to see if this team and the parts really are that much better with a real point guard. 

Advanced analytics could make a case the Coby White might be one of the absolute worst players in the league when you factor in just how much he played and the overall negative value in both his ball chucking / crap point guard play and his horrific d. 

• bmags locked this topic