2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

He is such complete garbage. He has regressed since entering the league. 

He says he's a power forward, he has the size of a power forward and the team is playing him out of position.  Most of that is not his fault.

7 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He says he's a power forward, he has the size of a power forward and the team is playing him out of position.  Most of that is not his fault.

yes, not just a problem with bulls. But you can't throw wcj at jokic, ayton, gobert, zion or AD obviously and expect to stop them. Big men are a thing, but he's useful recently, just not going to be an important piece moving forward, maybe a strong bench contributor or 5th guy on a stronger team.

25 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He's not a modern power forward though. He can't shoot and he can't defend PFs. He would be even worse at that position. He's a PF/C tweeter that just sucks. 

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

He's not a modern power forward though. He can't shoot and he can't defend PFs. He would be even worse at that position. He's a PF/C tweeter that just sucks. 

Right you are.  The best things he does are probably the little things that don't show in the box score (positioning, screening) that he picked up from Robin Lopez who was a master at them.  What we need in the middle is someone with, for want of a better word, an ass, who doesn't get pushed around at will.  Playing Young with Kornet actually seemed to work a bit last night, even though neither guy could guard Joker or has an identifiable ass.  😁

2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Bulls are said to be in on Andre Drummond. Idk the cost, but id prefer they just wait and sign him as a free agent.

Since they are getting zilch out of Otto I wouldn't be surprised if it is just an OPJ/drummond swap with maybe a second round pick or something. Drummond wakes a ton, not many teams could take that on, but bulls have some good tradeable contracts.

I think it could be a good idea to see how Zach plays off a good, albeit limited, big like Drummond since you are probably building around Zach at this point. 

I don't really see it though, and bulls rumors have been pretty much from the sellers, so it will be interesting. We have zilch clue what bulls will do.

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

My heart dropped when I started reading that as he seems incredibly likable.  Still alarming on his part.

Stalking is horrifying.  A lot of times it doesn't get addressed until something really bad happens

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

My heart dropped when I started reading that as he seems incredibly likable.  Still alarming on his part.

Same. Went through a roller coaster of "oh no ... thank god ... that's frightening."

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Bulls are said to be in on Andre Drummond. Idk the cost, but id prefer they just wait and sign him as a free agent.

I wouldn't think there would be any cost - more like Porter for Drummond swap and Cavs basically have Porter to swap for anything else.  Maybe Bulls add a 2nd round pick or something random - but I'm not trading a bunch of LT assets for Drummond.  He is probably a big help to the team in the short-term - but I'd also stay far away from him as a FA. He'll get too much money and the cost/benefit of tying up that sort of cap space to a player with the flaws he has is just not worth it.  

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Since they are getting zilch out of Otto I wouldn't be surprised if it is just an OPJ/drummond swap with maybe a second round pick or something. Drummond wakes a ton, not many teams could take that on, but bulls have some good tradeable contracts.

I think it could be a good idea to see how Zach plays off a good, albeit limited, big like Drummond since you are probably building around Zach at this point. 

I don't really see it though, and bulls rumors have been pretty much from the sellers, so it will be interesting. We have zilch clue what bulls will do.

Yeah - I think of this as a little preview of what having a better C would do for Lavine.  I'd still like to get Lonzo but he is playing himself into a better trade.  His 3 point shot is totally coming into its own and while he is has his moments where he looses aggressivenes - I really think he's on the verge of breaking out and taking a pretty big step forward.  He's had 2 straight lower quality performances - but he shot 48% from 3 in February and is up to 38% for the year (partly buoyed by that February - but his February was on some serious volume - 3.7 3's made on 8 attempts.  

Than after I see how Drummond does - than it gives you a better idea to make a huge play at Towns (no way he is staying in Minny LT).  I beat a dead horse - but I really like a nucleus of Towns, Lavine, Williams, Ball - plus whomever the heck remains from whatever the franchise gives up to get Towns.  Obviously - no Top 5 player on that list - but I think that is the type of team that can grow and maybe one of those guys gets there - but you also have the flexibility to always trade-up and grab future stars - cause that should be a squad people like running with.  

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Billy Donovan on the score right now, I really like that guy.  He understands the big picture and the small steps that are needed to get there

I love listening to him, he is so consistent in what he communicates he is looking for from the team.

Would be nice if someone other than Lavine or Lauri showed up yesterday. This schedule coming off all star break is brutal and the one easy win should have been the first game where they got smashed by a Philly team with no Embid or Simmons. 

Man nba draftniks may be the worst of all sports. There was so much stuff predraft on bulls boards on people wanting to “go for high ceiling” and drafting poku at 4.

This could bite me blah blah but he has been the worst basketball player I’ve seen this year every game I’ve watched him.

Thad is just incredible this year.

I don't want to say it - but outside of being hurt (shoulder injury & COVID) - Lauri has been a hell of a lot better this year.  He had another great night tonight and obviously Lavine was stellar.  I know Thunder were short-handed but Thaddeus is still doing Thad things - but seeing Sato with Lavine/Lauri more - is just real nice.  And Sato isn't even that good haha.  

I go back to - god would I love a way to get Ball and than another big.  Really curious to see how this unit looks with more time.  Lavine is just incredible - such a damn efficient scorer this year.  

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't want to say it - but outside of being hurt (shoulder injury & COVID) - Lauri has been a hell of a lot better this year.  He had another great night tonight and obviously Lavine was stellar.  I know Thunder were short-handed but Thaddeus is still doing Thad things - but seeing Sato with Lavine/Lauri more - is just real nice.  And Sato isn't even that good haha.  

I go back to - god would I love a way to get Ball and than another big.  Really curious to see how this unit looks with more time.  Lavine is just incredible - such a damn efficient scorer this year.  

Imagine had the bulls pulled off that rumored deal that never sounded like it was real: Trade WCJ+4 for the 2nd pick (which was rumored wiseman) but if the bulls got Lamelo. Team outlook would be so different.

Regardless of them not taking full advantage of what they could have gotten, still so annoying how terrible their luck was in draft position when they are tanking. If Bulls were as lucky as grizz and got JJJ and Ja instead of WCJ and Coby it's just a different franchise.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Imagine had the bulls pulled off that rumored deal that never sounded like it was real: Trade WCJ+4 for the 2nd pick (which was rumored wiseman) but if the bulls got Lamelo. Team outlook would be so different.

Regardless of them not taking full advantage of what they could have gotten, still so annoying how terrible their luck was in draft position when they are tanking. If Bulls were as lucky as grizz and got JJJ and Ja instead of WCJ and Coby it's just a different franchise.

Oh man - that would have been so sweet.  So sweet.  

Williams was more aggressive last night but really struggled finishing. I both hope it doesn't discourage him while also hoping it doesn't mean he will never be able to get to rim and get FTs.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Williams was more aggressive last night but really struggled finishing. I both hope it doesn't discourage him while also hoping it doesn't mean he will never be able to get to rim and get FTs.

I didn't want to say anything negative- but i was bummed to see him follow-up one of his best games with such a clunker (at least offensively).  One thing I've noticed is he gets rejected a heck of a lot at the rim.  To your point - I don't want him to get discouraged and I think its something with a normal off-season and continued work in the weight room that will change (plus I think it just goes back to continuing to adjust the game in the NBA where there are so many athletes where you can't get away with certain moves).

Still - he looks like such a projectable player (although I could be wrong) - which is a nice change of pace.   

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

What a choke

Coby and Wendell are really really bad on many nights. Coby when his shot doenst fall is like the worst player in the nba. I don’t know what happened to his defense - but it’s awful - makes Lavine look all pro. 

They have to package some of these guys - problem is their value is trending down. But development isn’t linear so I can still see why a team would be okay getting these guys and rolling. 

Heck look at Lonzo and how much he’s kicking butt of late. He still needs to work on being more aggressive in the paint - but that guy is playing himself into a big contract - probably from the bulls (see if New Orleans matches). 

Yeah unfortunately Lonzo/Zion pick and roll success makes it pretty unlikely to me. I think they keep ball, maybe bulls can sign a poison contract but that's a big risk on bulls side.

• bmags locked this topic