2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

1 hour ago, bmags said:

This has been really miserable but this schedule has been rough. Not sure how but they need to get a serious PG upgrade, this is just ridiculous how trash that position is. Sato is a fine 2nd unit player.

This is very true. Sato had another real bad game yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

When they traded this years first this was my fear. 

45 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

You were all over it. I had a similar fear which compounded when they made a move while ignoring how bad the point guard play was. 

Well, now that we're officially tanking again, the Bulls are 4.5 games behind the Magic (god damnit) for the #4 spot in the lottery. That would get them 48% odds of getting a Top 4 pick.

I still would make the trade, having lottery protections is what matters to me. This draft is great at the top, but it's not like that 2017/2018 draft where it is super deep. This may very well be a 2003-esque draft, but it really hasn't ever seemed to be as dominant as that one ever.

I'm a bit blown away how lethargic and bad this has been. Ultimately, this is on Donovan to get into shape. Even with their cap and assets, there are ways to shore this up. But williams needs to level up big time, the wing and guard play is just not good enough, especially with the lack of interior defense post trade.

Time to man-up for the bulls, they have enough to string games together. They just need to do it.

15 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

The Bulls are going to get the 5th pick and its going to hurt to the core.

Everything after 1999 is the price the Bulls paid for having MJ. 

It’s a very statistically unlikely position for them to get.

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I was enjoying the bulls up until trade deadline. Now - I literally can’t stand this team. I can’t watch more than a few minutes without turning the tv off because I get zero joy from watching the team. 

I really wish they hadn't won the first Cleveland game and the Celtics game.

Flip those and they're only a game behind Cleveland for the 6 spot in the lottery, which dramatically improves their top 4 chances. Right now, they're 3 games behind.

I also really fucking hate that we're talking about this.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I was enjoying the bulls up until trade deadline. Now - I literally can’t stand this team. I can’t watch more than a few minutes without turning the tv off because I get zero joy from watching the team. 

I just absolutely don't get it, and donovan really needs to figure it out. Bulls even now don't have less talent than the Knicks, who are surging. Lavine getting hurt and then out hasn't helped, but still, no excuse for getting blown out by cleveland and losing to the freakin magic.

I mean, I have seen this story before, this decade, just absolutely cratering after march. We are certainly past "ah well a point guard will make it all work" territory unless you are getting a freakin chris paul type guy. We can't get the wing production we get from Williams. We can't get the trash PG production. And if we do get that kind of production, we can't have trash interior defense.

But that is the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I just absolutely don't get it, and donovan really needs to figure it out. Bulls even now don't have less talent than the Knicks, who are surging. Lavine getting hurt and then out hasn't helped, but still, no excuse for getting blown out by cleveland and losing to the freakin magic.

I mean, I have seen this story before, this decade, just absolutely cratering after march. We are certainly past "ah well a point guard will make it all work" territory unless you are getting a freakin chris paul type guy. We can't get the wing production we get from Williams. We can't get the trash PG production. And if we do get that kind of production, we can't have trash interior defense.

But that is the case.

It seems to me that it all has to be blown up... I am probably overreacting to an extent - but despite Lavine being awesome and getting a good but not elite player in Vuc (which is actually a problem - cause you should use your chips on elite guys and I do think in hindsight - this is a disaster move...maybe not in the sense of they overpaid...more the fact that we blew our chips on a good...not elite player and when the elite player comes around...maybe they won't have that same shot).  

At the very least - the urgency to make the move seemed unnecessary. I go back to...the move in isolation just wasn't enough (some of this is hindsight...some of it I said at the same of the deal).  

The good thing is - development and young teams take a long time - its part of why I have never loved the "blow it all up" and win through the draft scenario...it has to be a blow it all up...accumulate assets and find stars (not just draft picks).  Lakers would still be in nowhere land if it weren't for LBJ coming and than they had the ability to give up a ton for Davis.  They weren't going anywhere with their "haul" of picks.  

• 2 weeks later...

They have absolutely imploded post trade deadline. Any way you spin it - awful. Bright side is Coby White has played pretty decent with Lavine out. 

But man - not a great indictment on bears front office post trade deadline. Have there been any updates on Lavine? 

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

They have absolutely imploded post trade deadline. Any way you spin it - awful. Bright side is Coby White has played pretty decent with Lavine out. 

But man - not a great indictment on bears front office post trade deadline. Have there been any updates on Lavine? 

Man, Coby is garbage.  I'm done with that guy

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man, Coby is garbage.  I'm done with that guy

I was the first guy on this board in this camp. He sucked again yesterday but he had a few games where he wasn’t a dumpster fire which was big progress. 

I think I said most of the year - he was playing like one of the worst players in the nba. The interesting thing is Lauri has disappeared for long stretches offensively - but defensively he has elevated his game a lot. 

He will go somewhere and be better. Quite frankly - I thought Donovan was doing a decent job, but lately I have not been happy with Donovan. 

Will be interesting to see what the team does in the offseason. Hopefully everyone benefits from a normal, longer offseason, etc. summer leagues, more usual training camps, ability to practice with others etc. 

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t follow advanced stats, but is Patrick Williams any good?  Every other game, seems he has a dud. I’ve heard good things about his defense....help me out here :)

He is raw.  He is timid on the court - but when he flashes aggressiveness he shows you what could be a pretty good player down the road.  He is by far their best upside guy.  That doesn't mean he will be good though.  But he has flashed the fact that he could have a pretty darn good all around game as he develops.  Solid touch, good athlete, ability to defense, etc.  

Donovan never even called plays for him up until this past week - which is kind of crazy given that his timidness has been one of his HUGE weaknesses out there.  

• Thanks 1

Bulls are way closer to a top 4 pick than a play in tournament spot. LaVine is back, I just hope they don't pass up Toronto or Sacramento. There's about a 32% chance they land top 4 and keep next year's pick.

16 hours ago, chw42 said:

Bulls are way closer to a top 4 pick than a play in tournament spot. LaVine is back, I just hope they don't pass up Toronto or Sacramento. There's about a 32% chance they land top 4 and keep next year's pick.

What happens if they get a top 4 pick, is Orlando just out of luck or does that pick transfer delay to 2025?

• bmags locked this topic