2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

9 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Gets you to the postseason and then...  Call it butting heads... Takes two to tango ...  Or butt heads.

Yea Thibs always had the problem of running on fumes when the regular season ended 

And Coby White out 4 months after having shoulder surgery due to an injury he suffered training last week. Huge bummer since they need him to really get his act together in year 3. 

After a horrendous year 2, he started showing signs late in the season and was set to work a ton with Lavine in the off-season. This is a big set back in terms of him getting in that work. That said - he should be able to do film and cardio but likely means he misses start of the season. 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:26 PM, Chisoxfn said:

And Coby White out 4 months after having shoulder surgery due to an injury he suffered training last week. Huge bummer since they need him to really get his act together in year 3. 

After a horrendous year 2, he started showing signs late in the season and was set to work a ton with Lavine in the off-season. This is a big set back in terms of him getting in that work. That said - he should be able to do film and cardio but likely means he misses start of the season. 

When will they stop trying to make him into a point guard?  His ceiling is backup Zach.

7 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

When will they stop trying to make him into a point guard?  His ceiling is backup Zach.

I've always said that White reminds me of Ben Gordon or Jamal Crawford. Dude can score. White's best role is as a 6th man that just scores. Given that the Bulls have Lavine, there's really not a fit here because they play the same position. 

White is a guy I'd trade at the next deadline. The Bulls really need to either win a top 2 pick or get Ball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

51 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've always said that White reminds me of Ben Gordon or Jamal Crawford. Dude can score. White's best role is as a 6th man that just scores. Given that the Bulls have Lavine, there's really not a fit here because they play the same position. 

White is a guy I'd trade at the next deadline. The Bulls really need to either win a top 2 pick or get Ball. 

I mean, I'd take a Top 4 pick. Suggs could be anywhere in top 4, but I'd be ecstatic with Green or Kuminga, then going full court press for Ball.

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, I'd take a Top 4 pick. Suggs could be anywhere in top 4, but I'd be ecstatic with Green or Kuminga, then going full court press for Ball.

Isn't the thing that they'd have to let Markkanen and Young walk for nothing in order to even attempt an OS for Ball? 

Maybe they can clear some room by trading them for mid 1st rounders. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Isn't the thing that they'd have to let Markkanen and Young walk for nothing in order to even attempt an OS for Ball? 

Maybe they can clear some room by trading them for mid 1st rounders. 

Maybe they could do a 3 way deal to facilitate things with Mark, Ball and a 3rd team.  But in general they are in a really bad spot.  I personally think this is as bad as the Bulls roster construct has been in the past 15 years.  Non-existent lottery picks, limited players with true upside, and your best player is walking in a year if you can't turn it around. 

The flipside of this is - you can still blow it up and probably recoup quite a bit if you flip Lavine & Vuc and basically start over.  I'm like not a fan of that approach - but it feels like that is the destiny of this squad by the all star break, unless we see a new player step up/elevate their game (i.e., Williams/White).  This would change a bit of lottery balls worked in their favor this year as well.  Or if Ball or whichever FA they signed really played at a high level (ie. if you got Ball and he started to really show case true potential - but right now he's still a pretty mediocre player and that is coming from someone who likes the idea of Ball - but partially because the Bulls hand is so forced given the Vuc deal).  

30 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Maybe they could do a 3 way deal to facilitate things with Mark, Ball and a 3rd team.  But in general they are in a really bad spot.  I personally think this is as bad as the Bulls roster construct has been in the past 15 years.  Non-existent lottery picks, limited players with true upside, and your best player is walking in a year if you can't turn it around. 

The flipside of this is - you can still blow it up and probably recoup quite a bit if you flip Lavine & Vuc and basically start over.  I'm like not a fan of that approach - but it feels like that is the destiny of this squad by the all star break, unless we see a new player step up/elevate their game (i.e., Williams/White).  This would change a bit of lottery balls worked in their favor this year as well.  Or if Ball or whichever FA they signed really played at a high level (ie. if you got Ball and he started to really show case true potential - but right now he's still a pretty mediocre player and that is coming from someone who likes the idea of Ball - but partially because the Bulls hand is so forced given the Vuc deal).  

I think they thought they had to make the Vucevic deal as an attempt to keep Lavine around. If it doesn't work, then they have to blow it up.......the bad part about that scenario is the question of whether or not they could recoup what they gave up? Then again....What do the Magic get if the lotto balls bounce in the Bulls favor? They just don't get the picks? 

BTW I'm going to be kinda annoyed if the Nets win it all this year.......This super-team crap has to stop. It used to happen organically.....it's not like MJ and Pippen signed with the Bulls as FAs......Shaq signed with the Lakers but they drafted and developed Kobe, and he was a rookie the year they signed Shaq. 

It's beyond annoying, and it's putting a lot of teams at a competitive disadvantage. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Sam Presti is so stinking good. Embarrassing how bad Bulls front office is compared. I am so beyond frustrated on the approach the new front office has taken this far. 

The Vuc trade basically turned into worst case scenario. The Bulls would be sitting so much better had they just done nothing or accumulated more picks. 

I have a feeling the front office really loves Vuc, but it just had disaster written all over it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The Vuc trade basically turned into worst case scenario. The Bulls would be sitting so much better had they just done nothing or accumulated more picks. 

I have a feeling the front office really loves Vuc, but it just had disaster written all over it. 

Yes - there just wasn't enough upside in the deal (unless there is something bigger).  I always wanted to add Ball because it felt like a low risk move to see if they could start to unlock something in him before taking a stab at signing him for multiple years.  All of this could look better on Tuesday if Bulls maintain a top pick - but it feels to me that this time next year we are talking about blowing everything up and that isn't exactly a glowing indication of any front office 2 years into their journey.  

Vuc is a fine player in a vacuum, but the trade really limits what they can do to improve going forward.  Barring some massive overnight transformation from Williams (I don't think he is anything special) and or a dumb GM gifting a star player for the Bulls spare parts, I just can't see how they become a competitive playoff caliber team in the short term.  And then they are basically starting from scratch with depreciating assets minus a pick or two.  

The Athletic's got a proposal of Ben Simmons for LaVine.

I think the most I'd do for Simmons right now is a Lauri sign-and-trade, with the Sixers throwing in picks. Dude has negative trade value after the Hawks series.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

The Athletic's got a proposal of Ben Simmons for LaVine.

I think the most I'd do for Simmons right now is a Lauri sign-and-trade, with the Sixers throwing in picks. Dude has negative trade value after the Hawks series.

The only reason I would do that if I were the Bulls is if I thought Lavine was going to walk.  I don't mind it, but man, Simmon's probability of finding aggression to score is so slim.  I kind of like the hypothetical trade where Simmons ends up in Portland - feels like with him having shooters around him and a guy like Dame - that is a great fit.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The only reason I would do that if I were the Bulls is if I thought Lavine was going to walk.  I don't mind it, but man, Simmon's probability of finding aggression to score is so slim.  I kind of like the hypothetical trade where Simmons ends up in Portland - feels like with him having shooters around him and a guy like Dame - that is a great fit.  

I wouldnt even do it Lavine  was walking. Simmons is maybe worth injured Coby White.

21 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

I wouldnt even do it Lavine  was walking. Simmons is maybe worth injured Coby White.

Yeah, if his value is at its lowest, I'd say lowball them, but then I realize how awful the Bulls are top to bottom and how just about any other team could probably offer a better lowball deal with more enticing, intriguing players.

24 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If you would have told me we get the 8th pick or Vucevic I would have went with Vuc

I’d take the assets and flexibility and undo the deal - but I get it and they could always flip Vuc and Lavine this year if things still don’t look right and they need to hit reset (trying to put a glass half full on).

1 hour ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Just absolutely horrendous officiating down the stretch of this Suns/Clippers game

Insane end though. And man, clips could have had any one thing go for them and literally everything exploded in their face at very end. 

42 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Insane end though. And man, clips could have had any one thing go for them and literally everything exploded in their face at very end. 

Great play, using the rim itself to keep the defender from intercepting the pass to Ayton.  I feel for Paul George.  Not really.

• bmags locked this topic