2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

10 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If you would have told me we get the 8th pick or Vucevic I would have went with Vuc

I 100% agree.  This management team has proven in Denver they could find value all over the draft and via trades which have worked out for them more often than not.  If it falls apart, Vuc is a legit trade chip.  

People already gave them $hit for drafting Williams early but the only person that may have clearly been a better pick was Haliburton and he slid out of the top 10.  

Just let AK and these guys do some actual work before we judge, it will likely take another year or so until we can.   

Edited by Chi Town Sox

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I’d take the assets and flexibility and undo the deal - but I get it and they could always flip Vuc and Lavine this year if things still don’t look right and they need to hit reset (trying to put a glass half full on).

As would I.  I still hate the deal and I personally don't believe Vuc even nets similar assets in return if traded again.  AK really hand cuffed himself with how few options he has to make this roster a contender in the short term.  

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Its funny - at this point - I don't know what to do - cause part of me says Bulls should blow everything up at this point, but I recognize that they are kind of pot committed now....but I don't know that Ball makes them any more than a mediocre team - but maybe that is okay because Williams and others develop and turn them into a more elite team and/or the front office can eventually land a star.  

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Its funny - at this point - I don't know what to do - cause part of me says Bulls should blow everything up at this point, but I recognize that they are kind of pot committed now....but I don't know that Ball makes them any more than a mediocre team - but maybe that is okay because Williams and others develop and turn them into a more elite team and/or the front office can eventually land a star.  

I mean, I was the one last year saying they should trade LaVine at the deadline for the best deal they could get, so I can’t escape that context. That said, they are sort of still committed on the “try to get better now” path and still owe Orlando a pick, so if they can improve moderately with a signing and avoid trading away any more assets it’s consistent with what they have done so far.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, I was the one last year saying they should trade LaVine at the deadline for the best deal they could get, so I can’t escape that context. That said, they are sort of still committed on the “try to get better now” path and still owe Orlando a pick, so if they can improve moderately with a signing and avoid trading away any more assets it’s consistent with what they have done so far.

I just think they blew their wad on the wrong guy - that is what has me so irritated.  But i also recognize - they really didn't get a ton of time to work it all out.  But man - too many picks for a player who at the end of the day is above average - but he's just not a tier 1 / tier 2 star on a championship team - nor do I think he will ever be.  I don't know if Lavine will be - but he's gotten better every single year, is still young, and is obviously a premium athlete (so ceiling wise still projectable room). Vuc was old - and basically is what he is - and I don't see his flaws going away, nor do I see him getting better. To give up those type of assets was really what I think we will look back at as a crippling move by this front office (although I do recognize - we could probably flip him for something similar at this point - so maybe not as crippling as I make it out to be).  

Lonzo is a far cry from CP3, but we are seeing just how important a good PG can be to a team. Before thinking about blowing it up, you gotta see what this team can do with a true PG. 

If PWill takes a jump and Vuc/Lavine can mesh better, this team can be pretty good. 

4 hours ago, scs787 said:

Lonzo is a far cry from CP3, but we are seeing just how important a good PG can be to a team. Before thinking about blowing it up, you gotta see what this team can do with a true PG. 

If PWill takes a jump and Vuc/Lavine can mesh better, this team can be pretty good. 

My other worry would be that it actually is true, they get better with a PG, and that's just enough combined with the Olympics to land LaVine a FA spot with some other team.

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

My other worry would be that it actually is true, they get better with a PG, and that's just enough combined with the Olympics to land LaVine a FA spot with some other team.

Certainly a possibility, but it could also go the other direction. I THINK even after Ball(Or a guy like Murray from the Spurs) and a Lavine extension, they could still sign another max player in 2022. 

A lot of ifs, but if a true PG works well with Lavine and Vuc, Williams emerges, White becomes a solid 6th man, and this Marko guy looks good, then this looks like a really good destination IMO. 

5 hours ago, scs787 said:

Certainly a possibility, but it could also go the other direction. I THINK even after Ball(Or a guy like Murray from the Spurs) and a Lavine extension, they could still sign another max player in 2022. 

A lot of ifs, but if a true PG works well with Lavine and Vuc, Williams emerges, White becomes a solid 6th man, and this Marko guy looks good, then this looks like a really good destination IMO. 

If that is somehow true - than I have a lot less concerns - I assume if you sign Ball, keep lavine, and have Vuc - you have no possible way of getting another max player (without moving one of the other guys - not to say I wouldn't for the right player).  

19 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If that is somehow true - than I have a lot less concerns - I assume if you sign Ball, keep lavine, and have Vuc - you have no possible way of getting another max player (without moving one of the other guys - not to say I wouldn't for the right player).  

IF they're willing to go over the cap, which 8 teams did last year and there should be no reason the bulls shouldn't be a team that goes over, they definitely can. 

Signing Ball on the HIGH end at 20 mill a year would put them at just 57 million dollars in cap. That's Ball, Vuc, William's, and White. I can't find the cap numbers on the 2nd round pick from last year but I'm sure he and this years 2nd rounder would be what, 3 mill? So now you're at 60m. Signing a max guy puts them somewhere between 90 and 100m. Add some depth for around 10 mill....THEN because he has bird rights, you can go over the cap to sign Lavine. 

You're looking at a salary north of 150m but it's allowed and should be something they want to do. 

For shits and giggles let's say Kawhi is the guy. He said good things about Williams before and maybeeee hed play alongside him

PG-Ball/White

SG-Lavine/White

SF-Williams 

PF-Kawhi/Marko. S

C-Vuc/Marko 

I still think White can turn into a solid legit 6th man. If Marko can develop into a solid NBA starter or even 1st big off the bench, that be huge. You should be able to bring in a pretty solid forward to play backup to William's and Kawhi as well. 

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

What a mess.

Lavine has Covid in the season too - didn’t he? Hopefully he was a close contact and ends up not having it. This is a heck of an opportunity for him and would hate for him to miss it - plus as a fan of the bulls - this is an opportunity to better market how good he is. He had played a nice role in last two games. 

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lavine has Covid in the season too - didn’t he? Hopefully he was a close contact and ends up not having it. This is a heck of an opportunity for him and would hate for him to miss it - plus as a fan of the bulls - this is an opportunity to better market how good he is. He had played a nice role in last two games. 

Yes, he definitely had it. He was out for way more than the minimum time, meaning he definitely had positive tests even if they didn’t give an official report of it. 

It is possible for him to have an additional positive test if he was exposed, but with more limited or nonexistent symptoms. That would necessitate missing several days until it’s gone from his system. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, he definitely had it. He was out for way more than the minimum time, meaning he definitely had positive tests even if they didn’t give an official report of it. 

It is possible for him to have an additional positive test if he was exposed, but with more limited or nonexistent symptoms. That would necessitate missing several days until it’s gone from his system. 

He is also vaccinated - he got Covid with one shot done (wasn’t fully vaccinated at point he got Covid in season). 

• bmags locked this topic