2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

By the way - I should note - since I am so anti Coby White this year - that he had a nice game tonight and beyond that he has looked like a basketball player a bit more on this recent run. I can only hope this is where we start seeing some progress and more consistent flashes. 

Wendell has also had a couple massive halves , unfortunately both in first half. Would be great to see him convert those into some complete games. 

More NBA thoughts:

It is incredible to me how bad the timberwolves continue to be. I'm here for the Thibs revival. That team was trash before him despite talent, trash after him despite talent. with him, they got to the playoffs.

Now the Knicks despite a roster I'd call worse than the Hawks, Hornets, and Bulls are ahead of them in the standings. 

It really is a benefit to the west though that these pretty decent teams like the pels and grizz will get pushed into the lottery, and then if they get lucky they end up stocked with talent, while teams like the bulls tried hard as hell to tank, were out tanked by a bunch of tankers, got unlucky multiple years, and were picking in the same range as a borderline playoff western conference teams.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Look who made the all star team. 

31 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Incredibly well deserved - just stellar job by Zach.  Hope it is the first of many! 

Fun stats of non PF/C LaVine has highest fg% of top 10 scorers and has the top 3 pt fg%.

Im really starting to think maybe we can trade him for a lottery protected first.

I mean no way do you want to keep this guy long term.

(There is still room to get on the bandwagon Ace.)

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Fun stats of non PF/C LaVine has highest fg% of top 10 scorers and has the top 3 pt fg%.

Im really starting to think maybe we can trade him for a lottery protected first.

For 5 seconds you had me badger...I literally hit reply as my brain was going "are you crazy"...than it hit me...you are so totally sane and funny!!! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

For 5 seconds you had me badger...I literally hit reply as my brain was going "are you crazy"...than it hit me...you are so totally sane and funny!!! 

You were backing LaVine before most, so you deserve the credit for the call.

Early this season it just seemed he took a huge leap so I went all in.  He always had the athleticism so if he adds elite shooting he is a star. 

Even crazier is he doesn't get star calls yet, he has second lowest ft attempts of the top 10 ( behind Curry). 

Obviously he still needs to stay consistent and prove that he can repeat these numbers, but its been a hell of a start.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

I'd still much rather trade him but even I have admitted that this LaVine is faaaar different  than the one I've seen in a Bulls uniform and I mean on both ends of the floor. His efficiency, defense, etc. have all been outstanding. I've given credit where credit has been due for him in case you missed it. I still don't like the shit he does at times on the court but I can not get on what he's done this season as a scorer. I've never questioned LaVine's work ethic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'd still much rather trade him but even I have admitted that this LaVine is faaaar different  than the one I've seen in a Bulls uniform and I mean on both ends of the floor. His efficiency, defense, etc. have all been outstanding. I've given credit where credit has been due for him in case you missed it. I still don't like the shit he does at times on the court but I can not get on what he's done this season as a scorer. I've never questioned LaVine's work ethic.

Only way I'm trading him is if its for another star player. Or maybe like a top 2-3 pick in a draft with 2-3 cant miss players. Even then I think its a bad look. They have more than enough cap room to keep him and add another star to go with him. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I still don't trust Zack when it's under two minutes left but I cannot deny how good he has been over the past two years.  I was wrong 

Can you imagine him in the ASG firing up shots at the end with the Elam Ending?  In all seriousness, congrats to him. He’s been awesome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Zack seems worse under 2 minutes because we don't have another decent ball handler. He'd look a lot better with a real threat next to him.

Good point but you have to trust your teammates sometime.  If there are three guys on you, two of your teammates are open.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Bad call, but even dumber play.

That call was terrible. Bulls did everything they could with turnovers to try and not win the game. That said - man that offense is fun to watch. Such a quiet 35 from Zach - dude is just picking his spots and making it look so easy right now. He should have had 40 - just a travesty how few foul calls he gets. Every night there are at least a few plays a game he gets hacked with no call - not some weak hack - a big hack. 

Needed this one cause bulls schedule gets real tough next. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bmags said:

Zack seems worse under 2 minutes because we don't have another decent ball handler. He'd look a lot better with a real threat next to him.

Absolutely. While his efficiency probably can't get any better, his turnovers would go way down with a true point guard on the roster

• Like 1

What does Lauri fetch in a trade? I'm still a fan, but this stretch without him tells me they might be better without him. 

Bulls 2nd round Euro stash guy has been playing really well and I hope AK gets him over here next year. The reports of him as a Joker type player intrigue me, especially with the way the team plays with Thad being somewhat similar.

50 minutes ago, scs787 said:

What does Lauri fetch in a trade? I'm still a fan, but this stretch without him tells me they might be better without him. 

Bulls 2nd round Euro stash guy has been playing really well and I hope AK gets him over here next year. The reports of him as a Joker type player intrigue me, especially with the way the team plays with Thad being somewhat similar.

lauri for ball has been a pretty consistent rumor.

Pretty cool seeing the relationship developing with Donovan and Lavine. 

It's been so nice this year. Definitely never hit that promise they showed when OPJ first came over and looked great his first 10 games. He just doesn't give a crap, but it's probably good for Bulls long-term. 

But one of my big problems with what bulls were doing post butler is they specifically traded him for a young core, but instead of supplementing smart vets around them, they seemed to get just a bunch of really basketball-dumb one way players. That fed into zach's worst instincts since he already flies fairly fast and loose but now there are players who are where they are supposed to be, not being idiots.

Like how much did zach's maturity lose out on when you surrounded him with cam payne, justin holiday, blakeney and fat jabari parker? They kept dime-a-dozen guys like blakeney around for scoring ability constantly instead of just getting some limited but smart guys to help their lavine/lauri/wcj group they said was the future. 

Just a dumb group. 

And having seeing that, and sort of even seeing how the sixers have popped up and twolves just can't seem to, it just really seems like bulls drafting seemed better when putting rookies in a well-coached, smart, vet team than when they put them with a bunch of idiots. The sixers seem lucky that embiid was injured during those types of teams, and then when simmons gets there, getting the reddicks, etc to let those guys play competitively.

Meanwhile, the twolves are just always worse than the sum of their parts.

• bmags locked this topic