2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hmm, and here I thought sports medias slant toward boston sports teams meant I never needed to watch their games. 

Theis seems like a really good get for Wagner, whom I don't like how poorly he rebounds.

Damn AKME.

I'm excited, I was completely taken aback, but most important thing to me is it was a real risk if bulls punted that zach would go join up. He may still, but I think bulls have good shot at making this a group, esp. after adding a PG this offseason. 

I think I just dislike Vucevic because they were so completely boring but Clifford does that to you, and he's a great coach, but completely boring.

The only thing I don't like is - those FRP's would be handy as an asset to acquire a player better than Vuc - but I'll worry about that when that time comes. Vuc is a significant upgrade and should give this team better definition - I do think not getting a PG (even a Rubio) was a big miss at the deadline.  That said - the other maneuvers looks solid and Theis seems a better fit (since they are keeping Mark) as Theis will add some much needed toughness in the middle.  

I actually think Lauri and Vuc might play well together - the spacing should be great - but the D - oh lordy that D.  Maybe I'm wrong and just assume Vuc is bad defensively?  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The only thing I don't like is - those FRP's would be handy as an asset to acquire a player better than Vuc - but I'll worry about that when that time comes. Vuc is a significant upgrade and should give this team better definition - I do think not getting a PG (even a Rubio) was a big miss at the deadline.  That said - the other maneuvers looks solid and Theis seems a better fit (since they are keeping Mark) as Theis will add some much needed toughness in the middle.  

I actually think Lauri and Vuc might play well together - the spacing should be great - but the D - oh lordy that D.  Maybe I'm wrong and just assume Vuc is bad defensively?  

They definitely would, however, what if bulls got unlucky again. The most likely scenario was a pick for the bulls in the 11-14 range, that has very little value in getting a star. So you are in a situation today where if bulls get very lucky - they still have that pick. But if they don't, then that pick had its greatest value an hour ago - and Vucevic for 2 firsts is pretty much going rate (holiday-esque).

I'm actually really happy about that part. Now, next year if you need picks, you would have to either find a first or do pick swaps or whatever if suddenly like Damian Lilliard wants out then maybe you are able to put a package like that together.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

They definitely would, however, what if bulls got unlucky again. The most likely scenario was a pick for the bulls in the 11-14 range, that has very little value in getting a star. So you are in a situation today where if bulls get very lucky - they still have that pick. But if they don't, then that pick had its greatest value an hour ago - and Vucevic for 2 firsts is pretty much going rate (holiday-esque).

I'm actually really happy about that part. Now, next year if you need picks, you would have to either find a first or do pick swaps or whatever if suddenly like Damian Lilliard wants out then maybe you are able to put a package like that together.

Agree with that.  Either way - I look forward to watching Saturday's game.  

So there's been a lot of movement but - looks like Jeff Teague will be waived after being traded to orlando.

He was terrible when I watched the other day (and obviously, barely paying attention to future star Theiss). But we have Sato and White so hard to know what upgrades are.

In order to sign Ball to an offer sheet outright, the Bulls would have to waive Young or Satoranský, renounce the rights to Markkanen, who has a $20.2 million salary cap hold, or both, to create room. That seems like a lot.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/why-arturas-karnisovas-isnt-done-reshaping-bulls-after-active-deadline

1 hour ago, Tony said:

In order to sign Ball to an offer sheet outright, the Bulls would have to waive Young or Satoranský, renounce the rights to Markkanen, who has a $20.2 million salary cap hold, or both, to create room. That seems like a lot.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/why-arturas-karnisovas-isnt-done-reshaping-bulls-after-active-deadline

Yeah - it was why they had to make the move now. I am sure there are other creative ways - but now was the time - at least the easiest time. Who knows - let’s hope Lauri takes off playing next to another big who can score - he hasn’t had that since he played with Nikolai. 

I mean you didn’t even have to defend Wendell or Gafford.  They almost never looked to score and neither big could pass. I really really wish Bulls got a PG. 

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - it was why they had to make the move now. I am sure there are other creative ways - but now was the time - at least the easiest time. Who knows - let’s hope Lauri takes off playing next to another big who can score - he hasn’t had that since he played with Nikolai. 

I mean you didn’t even have to defend Wendell or Gafford.  They almost never looked to score and neither big could pass. I really really wish Bulls got a PG. 

Everything can change in a hurry, but at the current moment, I trust AK. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

All that matters is they convince ball to sign with them. The heat didn’t have enough money to sign butler either, but he made it clear and then Philly went thru with S&T. 

Gaged 

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

lol, I just mean in terms of acquiring him, they don't need to make it fit perfectly first. 

I agree with this - you can always figure it out.  Big picture - they can do what they need to and it doesn't have to be Ball.  There will be other players on the market in the off-season too - some we probably don't even know about yet.  At this point - I'm just glad AK recognized some changes needed to be made and acted on some of them and clearly was trying to do even more.  

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

There is zero chance GarPax would have ever moved on from Wendell Carter Jr. in this deal. It would have taken a top 5 player in the league. Their firing is already paying off.

This 100% - probably the happiest thing I saw was the front office recognized it was time to move Carter (while he was still an asset) - and move him vs. getting worked up that maybe they sold low.  I think as far as they were concerned - they were done waiting on Carter and wanted to move on - Magic are in a different place and maybe the trade/change in scenery helps...but a year from now Carter would probably be worse even less (had he stayed on the Bulls - especially when you think he's a year closer to FA).  

I also figure we will see Coby's value get restored in the 2nd half of the season - cause we are going to see him better positioned to succeed - going back to - they learned in 1st half of year what he is and probably isn't - now I think they are going to position him in the best spot - not only for his LT development (and getting it back on track) - but also to help this team win.  

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

@Chisoxfn

Do you think that there could be a sign and trade for Ball coming this summer? 

I assume that would be how the Bulls would acquire him.  Could be as simple as a 3 team deal - whomever wants Lauri - signs him - than Bulls get Lonzo - and Pelicans maybe get some advantage out of it.  

Bulls can also sign him outright - bottom line - as Bmags said - if Lonzo wants to come to Bulls and Bulls want him - they have the flexibility to figure it out.  But who knows - there could be far better options the front office is looking at in the offseason.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I assume that would be how the Bulls would acquire him.  Could be as simple as a 3 team deal - whomever wants Lauri - signs him - than Bulls get Lonzo - and Pelicans maybe get some advantage out of it.  

Bulls can also sign him outright - bottom line - as Bmags said - if Lonzo wants to come to Bulls and Bulls want him - they have the flexibility to figure it out.  But who knows - there could be far better options the front office is looking at in the offseason.  

Cp3 would be an incredible fit for this roster, but not sure the Suns have any interest in letting him walk. I believe he has a player option for next season...

• bmags locked this topic