2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This 100% - probably the happiest thing I saw was the front office recognized it was time to move Carter (while he was still an asset) - and move him vs. getting worked up that maybe they sold low.  I think as far as they were concerned - they were done waiting on Carter and wanted to move on - Magic are in a different place and maybe the trade/change in scenery helps...but a year from now Carter would probably be worse even less (had he stayed on the Bulls - especially when you think he's a year closer to FA).  

I also figure we will see Coby's value get restored in the 2nd half of the season - cause we are going to see him better positioned to succeed - going back to - they learned in 1st half of year what he is and probably isn't - now I think they are going to position him in the best spot - not only for his LT development (and getting it back on track) - but also to help this team win.  

Coby's value is directly tied to his ability to put a round sphere through a hoop. Until he can do that consistently it doesnt matter what position he plays. His problem is he shoots under 35% too often to be relied on to do anything. In college he shot 42%, in the pros he is at 44%. In the last 10 games he shot 33% or worse 6 times, he shot 50% or better 2x. Its hard to see a future for him if he doesnt dramatically increase his shooting percentage. 

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Coby's value is directly tied to his ability to put a round sphere through a hoop. Until he can do that consistently it doesnt matter what position he plays. His problem is he shoots under 35% too often to be relied on to do anything. In college he shot 42%, in the pros he is at 44%. In the last 10 games he shot 33% or worse 6 times, he shot 50% or better 2x. Its hard to see a future for him if he doesnt dramatically increase his shooting percentage. 

100% agree - but I think him playing PG (or attempting to) - put more thoughts in his head and made him worse at doing what the reality is is his skillset. I think it effective his defense too - because the last turnover / mistake was getting into his head.  Bottom line - he was thinking a TON vs. playing.  I expect with him playing more off the bench + just having another option on the floor who is an above average scorer - and the general spacing increase that will come when you replace 1 player in a lineup who literally didn't look to score (Wendell/Gafford) - with someone who will score and can make others around them better - that will pay off too.  

That is my hope at least - it might be too much optimism.  

55 minutes ago, Tony said:

Cp3 would be an incredible fit for this roster, but not sure the Suns have any interest in letting him walk. I believe he has a player option for next season...

he really would have. There are slim pickens next year. You either get ball, you S&T for lowry?, or perhaps you can net Dinwiddie. The rest is pretty garbage. Rose is like probably the 4th best option which should tell you something.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

he really would have. There are slim pickens next year. You either get ball, you S&T for lowry?, or perhaps you can net Dinwiddie. The rest is pretty garbage. Rose is like probably the 4th best option which should tell you something.

I'm sure there will be some players / names we didn't expect who magically come available.  There will be a team or two that flames out in the playoffs and all of a sudden a narrative changes. Heck - maybe the Warriors decide they need to rebuild or something else and next thing you know Curry is on the market (NO I Do not expect that - but who knows).  

But Kings are a mess organization that can never turn things around - does D'Aaron Fox want out. 

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hmmmm Dinwiddie wonder what GarPax would think about that.....

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm sure there will be some players / names we didn't expect who magically come available.  There will be a team or two that flames out in the playoffs and all of a sudden a narrative changes. Heck - maybe the Warriors decide they need to rebuild or something else and next thing you know Curry is on the market (NO I Do not expect that - but who knows).  

But Kings are a mess organization that can never turn things around - does D'Aaron Fox want out. 

Yeah Fox/Sexton maybe. Brogdon would be great but man I don't know that the Pacers, who are just extremely sound, would trade him without getting back a bunch of FRPs. 

But eventually OKC/NOLA are going to have to start cashing out picks, so it's a tough position that will probably need some luck and FA to work.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is there going to be any possible PG releases by other teams that could benefit the bulls?   Someone maybe cut after being acquired as the team absorbed their expiring contract?

I believe Teague (older, better one) was released after being traded

My takeaways from the game.

1. The team had a huge roster overhaul. Nobody should have expected them to play well right away. They need a little time to build chemistry. Zach's ankle clearly wasn't right, too. I'm not worried. 

2. I liked what I saw from Troy Brown. He's got good handles (and previous experience as a PG). The guy wasn't being utilized correctly in Washington this year. He WI be a pleasant surprise IMO. He definitely need to take minutes front Patrick Williams. PW is just too raw currently. 

3. Daniel Theis will end up being a key piece for this team. He is the only above average defender at the PF/C positions. Lauri's defense was pathetic tonight. Thad and Vuc aren't anything to write home about on defense either. I would start Theis over Lauri, especially when Lauri can't hit his 3. 

4. The team could really use a PG. No surprise there. 

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

My takeaways from the game.

1. The team had a huge roster overhaul. Nobody should have expected them to play well right away. They need a little time to build chemistry. Zach's ankle clearly wasn't right, too. I'm not worried. 

2. I liked what I saw from Troy Brown. He's got good handles (and previous experience as a PG). The guy wasn't being utilized correctly in Washington this year. He WI be a pleasant surprise IMO. He definitely need to take minutes front Patrick Williams. PW is just too raw currently. 

3. Daniel Theis will end up being a key piece for this team. He is the only above average defender at the PF/C positions. Lauri's defense was pathetic tonight. Thad and Vuc aren't anything to write home about on defense either. I would start Theis over Lauri, especially when Lauri can't hit his 3. 

4. The team could really use a PG. No surprise there. 

The team is obviously still a work in progress, but it seems clear Lauri is on his way out. AK seemingly knows what the team needs, just going to take some time to acquire the pieces and make this team his own. I'm pretty excited for the future right now, which seems so foreign. 

• Like 1

Yeah - I will wait and see how they do after a few weeks. I am just glad we saw some aggression - even though I don’t love losing those FRP - cause those assets are key. Would have been nice to have a few of those already being in this rebuild. 

I am kind of hoping we see Lauri benefit from playing next to a big who can play make and score. Should create a ton of space for him. 

At this point I'll be shocked if Ball is anywhere other than Chicago next year. I think the Bulls can make a better pitch post-Vuc trade. @Chisoxfn should be happy.

My guess is the Bulls hope that Ball keeps growing or Williams develops into the 3rd All-Star, or AKME is actually creative with future deals.

• bmags locked this topic