Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bmags

2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I see less in Coby than others. That isn't to say he can't get better, he just has a lot of development left in his arch. Defensively - he started his career last year pretty solid, but was a turnstyle early this season and offensively he can be a black hole.  He has a lot of bad turnovers and takes out of rhythm shots, etc.  His jumper can be really lethal though - but obviously inconsistent.  As long as he can continue to hone his jumper, Coby can be a 6th man type of guy (say Lou Williams / Ben Gordon type).  But if he's going to be a good player - he'll need to be a better defender or a better playmaker (ideally both).  Whether he can do that or not - I have no idea, but this is the year to try and I'll deal with his growing pains.

It is similar to Wendell Carter - I need to see more aggression out of him, especially on the offensive side. I will live with him shooting poorly as long as he can get the confidence and swagger to make aggressive basketball moves, because I believe he has the form to develop that shot.  He is just way to passive at times.  Boylen and the Bulls really wrecked Wendell and I'm glad we have Billy D to try and straighten him out. It is almost like Wendell is still a rookie and in some ways that is true given how many games he missed, but man the Bulls really miss used him (in the sense that you shouldn't pigeon hole a young player that much and basically just tell him to be a defensive stopper who sets screens but can't do anything else with the rock - way too limiting).   

The journey for the two guys above is going to be really interesting to watch, because one is obviously in there 2nd year, but the other in there 3rd year means not a ton of time before you have to decide on whether they are part of your long term future or not.  

I won't comment on Lauri, other than to say offensively he has looked much much much better this year - but small sample size and now out as part of COVID protocol. Want to see how they can all gel together - but while I'm not huge on Billy D's pure X's and O's in-game coaching (I think there are at least a handful of guys in the league better) - i do believe Billy D is very very good when it comes to the developmental side of things and just love the way he speaks to his players. I especially think his style works very well with a young team - but I also think he has that rare mix/aura where his style will also work with a more veteran team.  

I can't say enough how pleased I am to have such a balanced all around coach as Billy D running the day-to-day.  

I have more sympathy for Coby just because I feel like he's more naturally a shooting guard, is young, and point guard is really hard on young guards. I dont' think long-term he is the number one ball handler on a good team. I think the starting PG issue for one is he's not working as hard on finishing, seemsl ike when a layup will be too contested he's just distributing. Not bad for a PG to do, but he also needs to be better at finishing.

WCJ came in doing a lot of little things right. He still does a lot of that stuff right, but he doesn't seem stronger, his shot hasn't gotten better, but he also hasn't learned anymore moves.

I am looking forward to Sato getting back, he really did look better under this system. 

Williams is interesting. Sometimes he looks like he can't get by a SF on a drive, then sometiems he just explodes by someone. I think he is getting great experience, I'm hoping by end of year we really have a better idea of his skillset. For now I think he's getting used to speed/playing within team. Pretty freakin tough to not have any meaningful training camp or summer league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have more sympathy for Coby just because I feel like he's more naturally a shooting guard, is young, and point guard is really hard on young guards. I dont' think long-term he is the number one ball handler on a good team. I think the starting PG issue for one is he's not working as hard on finishing, seemsl ike when a layup will be too contested he's just distributing. Not bad for a PG to do, but he also needs to be better at finishing.

WCJ came in doing a lot of little things right. He still does a lot of that stuff right, but he doesn't seem stronger, his shot hasn't gotten better, but he also hasn't learned anymore moves.

I am looking forward to Sato getting back, he really did look better under this system. 

Williams is interesting. Sometimes he looks like he can't get by a SF on a drive, then sometiems he just explodes by someone. I think he is getting great experience, I'm hoping by end of year we really have a better idea of his skillset. For now I think he's getting used to speed/playing within team. Pretty freakin tough to not have any meaningful training camp or summer league.

Williams surprises me with how smooth his 3 ball is. Nice arch - good release. You are right, there are times where he plays passive, but than there are other times I watch and just see him with this nifty moves that blow past guys, where I go wow, he really is pretty athletic and in-time you could project him as the type of guy who can get a shot off of anyone (presuming his jumper and rest of his game round out - big if obviously).  Fact that he is playing solid defense (largely) and able to contribute with no training camp and being so young are all big pluses to me. It also seems like he has a plus plus makeup (hopefully he has that work ethic as well).  

Like I said - I am not going to come to any major conclusions - but to be honest - my expectations were pretty low when they took a guy who came off the bench at FSU, but I figured if there was ever a time to ignore any of that it would be the year of COVID where it was so hard to judge who made what leaps, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WCJ just drives me nuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough loss but Bulls were competitive. Coby White was amazing. LaVine was LaVine down the stretch. Terrible turnovers, terrible shot selection. Wendell was solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun game, but kinda funny Iowa St finally produces a strong looking pro and the Bulls pass on him.  Defense tonight was just woof.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defense was rough tonight but still am entertaining game. Lavine and Coby both with nice games. Not enough stops in the end and way too many easy points for Kings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

entertaining and many positives but the only thing that’ll stick out to me is that quick 3 from Lavine followed by WCJ not stepping up in the screen and allowing Hield the 4pt play. Wow, that was frustrating. That’s not coaching, that’s common sense and basketball IQ that they both should have at this level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

entertaining and many positives but the only thing that’ll stick out to me is that quick 3 from Lavine followed by WCJ not stepping up in the screen and allowing Hield the 4pt play. Wow, that was frustrating. That’s not coaching, that’s common sense and basketball IQ that they both should have at this level. 

All night WCJ was not even close to helping on the pick and roll. Just letting them re-screen since he wasn't near enough to provide pressure.

As you said, it was a good game. @Heads22 Halliburton was amazing.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bulls need Sato and Lauri back, just to fill minutes at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly does Otto Porter Jr do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

What exactly does Otto Porter Jr do

Look like a taller Derrick Rose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Quin said:

Bulls need Sato and Lauri back, just to fill minutes at this point.

Yeah I mean this was one of the few next several games that were winnable, but it was on a back to back with multiple guys out. 

This is good stuff:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I mean this was one of the few next several games that were winnable, but it was on a back to back with multiple guys out. 

This is good stuff:

 

 

I am uncomfortable with the notion of the Bulls running actual strategery.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

What exactly does Otto Porter Jr do

Get paid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is the wrong sentiment, but please keep doing that against top teams until the trade deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know this is the wrong sentiment, but please keep doing that against top teams until the trade deadline.

I think Lavine is going to get a max deal from the Bulls. They had a chance to get a super star in the draft and the ball bounce went against them for Luka.

Entire classes of prospects are going to be unknown due to Covid.

I dont really see another way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ve been watchable and that’s all I’ve wanted. The roster fit is still woof. Not sure where they fix this but next offseason will be fun. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think Lavine is going to get a max deal from the Bulls. They had a chance to get a super star in the draft and the ball bounce went against them for Luka.

Entire classes of prospects are going to be unknown due to Covid.

I dont really see another way.

I would say that is clearly wrong for this team, but for once if the Front Office disagrees with me I will question my thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wendell finally came alive in this game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flower Power has got some good defense on LeBron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would say that is clearly wrong for this team, but for once if the Front Office disagrees with me I will question my thinking.

Im not a super huge fan of Lavine. But when you look around the league and try and find guaranteed upgrades there are not that many, let alone that would be possible for the Bulls to get. 

I know people have been hating on Carter, but he still is really young and not a lot of Centers in history have been great as teens. White seems to be a legitimate player. 

Maybe with those guys they can somehow find a superstar to come play with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

I think Lavine is going to get a max deal from the Bulls.

Lets hope not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh... and the Chicago Bulls.... are watchable. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoxAce said:

Oh... and the Chicago Bulls.... are watchable. :o

Yea dude...it’s crazy right?  I just bought league pass 2 games ago.  I’m really excited to watch them.  They lost these last two but man, they have no fear.  No nerves in pressure.  They look coached

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmags said:

They’ve been watchable and that’s all I’ve wanted. The roster fit is still woof. Not sure where they fix this but next offseason will be fun. 
 

Yeah - this was a super fun game. One shot short but still super entertaining and fun to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×